Iphone backup please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Howard

MB Club Veteran
Car
2018 C63 Wagon / CLK430 / A150 / VW Pink Floyd Golf Cabriolet
Hi all

I am experiencing problems with my Iphone 3GS.

Basically , when i am in my house i can't dial out and people can't call me , it seems to be a dead spot ( has only been for the last couple of days though ) , i can text though. Anywhere else in the world appears to be fine.

I would like to try a factory reset , and have backed up the phone to my laptop , but before i hit the restore button , i want to see that the numbers and photos are actually on the laptop. But i can't find them !!!! :mad:

Where are they stored ?

Thanks

H

Let me guess - are you on the Vodafone network ?

No , O2 .

Been great until now , a black hole has appeared in my house though .

I doubt it's the phone - more likely the network.

Howard - can you not set it to back up automatically to the 'Cloud'?

Otherwise in itunes go to 'edit', then 'preferences' and click the 'devices' tab in the new window that comes up - it should list the backups available and the date created.

Good luck

I suspect it's the "02" effect. I got very cheesed off with 02 and bailed out to Orange. I was back with 02 within 7 days on a sim-only contract - if you're out of contract then make the switch to 02 sim-only and save about £25 / month

Nick Froome

Hi Shiny

Thanks for that , it tells me that it was backed up today at 14.15 , but i would like to physically see the phone numbers , just to alleviate my worry.

Can you actually see the 'backup' or do you just take it as read that is it ?

Hi Shiny

Thanks for that , it tells me that it was backed up today at 14.15 , but i would like to physically see the phone numbers , just to alleviate my worry.

Phone numbers usually sync with Outlook contacts if you use Outlook so they should all be there.

I'm on a sim only contract Nick , i've been with them ( and their predecessors ) for about 20 years.

It's only happened the last 2 days

Howard

Try a full re-set first. Hold the home and power buttons until you see the Apple appear. Ignore the power off slide.

FYI. If iTunes shows multiple back ups then you will be fine. Back the phone up again now for peace of mind.

I'm newish to macs, but I think the contacts are kept/sync'd in/from the address book, which on my system is launchpad>address book. Ignore me if I'm garbling, like i said I'm newish to macs.

Ian

You are correct. Unless you are syncing from exchange or over the air. To have new contacts added to your Mac address book you have to ensure your iPhone default is set to MacBook.

Hi Shiny

I don't think you can see what the backup contains, just that it's there.

Along the line that others have said - see what the phone syncs with by default in iTunes [for each of contacts/mail/calendar/apps/music etc], then check the source data to be on the safe side.

Again good luck - and be brave

Sean

most people have an old previous phone (or can get an old one).

why not put the sim into that to check the directory numbers ?

Howard do a reset of the network settings only.

iTunes does not back up everything!

I was having problems with my iPhone 4S not transmitting sound output to my Comand Telephone function.

Backed up and then did a factory reset.

Set up phone again from the latest back up which was 20mins previous and everything reapeared except my txts, emails and all the pictues off the Camera roll.

No big deal to me but something for others to be aware of.

(Contacts etc were fine!)

iTunes does not back up everything!

I was having problems with my iPhone 4S not transmitting sound output to my Comand Telephone function.

Backed up and then did a factory reset.

Set up phone again from the latest back up which was 20mins previous and everything reapeared except my txts, emails and all the pictues off the Camera roll.

No big deal to me but something for others to be aware of.

(Contacts etc were fine!)

An iTunes backup does backup does backup everything - you must have deselected some options.

Well I've just checked and all options seem to be selected.

My Photo's is checked in the 'All Folders' box but I didn't get any Photo's taken on the Camera Roll, only Photo's in named folders.

Can't see anything relating to Txts anywhere in iTunes at all??

Your texts should all be backed up. I have seen some users saying that texts can take some time to re-appear after a restore/backup but they will come back. Are you sure that your camera roll is not being moved into last import? It may be worth you checking with your network provider in case they do something different with texts.

Try looking for the last picture you took in all your folders or have a look in i-photo if you are using a Mac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom