Iphone IOS 4 and contacts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
my iPhone 4 works perfectly with my HFP

:-(

Here are my results today;

Iphone 3GS IOS 4

Mercedes HFP v1 pairs fine with address book download.
Mercedes iphone 3G(S) cradle pairs but phone book garbled.
Mercedes HFP V2 pairs fine with address book download.

Iphone 4
Mercedes iphone 3G(S) cradle pairs but phone book garbled. Phone does not fit into the cradle.
Mercedes HFP V2 pairs fine but address book does not download.

Will test an MB-2 later in the week.

Hi all.

I have a mercedes e280 with command and use a iphone 3gs cradle to connect to the car.

since upgrading my iphone 3gs to ios4;

1. the ringtone (in car command) has changed

2. the contacts are garbled.

have done multiple re-sets and re-pairings, including resetting the command

ringtone is still the same

contacts are missing; only numbers are listed

in call lists; garbled IDs are shown (example 8.. B0+)

Here are my results today;

Iphone 3GS IOS 4

Mercedes iphone 3G(S) cradle pairs but phone book garbled.
Mercedes HFP V2 pairs fine with address book download.

Iphone 4
Mercedes iphone 3G(S) cradle pairs but phone book garbled. Phone does not fit into the cradle.
Mercedes HFP V2 pairs fine but address book does not download.

Will test an MB-2 later in the week.

What is the part number for an HFP V1?
Thanks

Just got iPhone4 .. will test with W204 COMAND this evening and let you know !

iPhone 4 awesome, by the way ;)

Unless I'm missing something blindingly obvious, I can find no way to bluetooth the contacts from iPhone 4 to the W204 COMAND. Hands free functionality works fine, and the phone has its own built in voice recognition which works fine for dialling .. but its a pain not to have the contact name / number come up on the screen when somebody calls. Will have to sync contacts with something capable of sending vcards via bluetooth, I think - seems to be basic functionality missing from the iPhone.

Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong ?

S.

... Hands free functionality works fine, and the phone has its own built in voice recognition which works fine for dialling ..

Off topic and I cannot help you with your problem but I wanted to ask "why are you using voice control from the phone when your Comand supports voice control for calling too"? You can activate Comand voice control from the steering wheel button but while it must be more difficult to do from the phone?

Well I may be missing something here, but I got my Iphone 4 yesterday and it pairs well with my Viseeo MBU-2000 and the phone book also downloads beautifully!

You're not missing anything.

MBU1000 and MBU2000 work (Triamp confirmed that MBU1000 works and that it expected MBU2000 to work since it has same chipset).

Technically, whats happened is that the iPhone is sending its address book as UTF-16 encoded, and it used to send it as Ascii.

I don't know enough to know whether the cradle says "this is what I support" and then the phone picks one, and the new cradles say "UTF-16" but it doesn't work, or whether just the older cradles (HFP1, MBU-1000, MBU-2000) just work with UTF-16.

I know MBU1000, MBU2000 have a different chipset to the MB-2 as the MB-2 has the chipset that supports PBAP (fancy phone book transfer used in newer Nokias). As the HFP-2 supports PBAP i have wondered if MB-2, HFP-2, etc all use the same newer chipset.

Richard

IOS 4 and iphone 4 with MB-2 and MBU-1000 also suffer the address book corruption.

For now, I'm sticking with my original HFP cradle which works fine with my new iphone.

You're not missing anything.

MBU1000 and MBU2000 work (Triamp confirmed that MBU1000 works and that it expected MBU2000 to work since it has same chipset).

Richard

Thanks Richard, it was Alfies post that confused me!

I now have an HFP cradle for sale as I thought I would be clever and buy one before the phone got here....mainly so that the missus couldn't berate me for buying a fancy phone that does work!...ANY OFFERS WELCOME!

Off topic and I cannot help you with your problem but I wanted to ask "why are you using voice control from the phone when your Comand supports voice control for calling too"? You can activate Comand voice control from the steering wheel button but while it must be more difficult to do from the phone?

Very easy to do on the iphone .. just hold the home button, and it works through the car mic & speakers when the handsfree profile is connected.

COMAND linguatronic voice control only works if contacts are loaded .. or you have to speak the whole number - which is not an option !

I have a slightly different issue. I have an official "MB Iphone 3G Cradle", and an iPhone 3G, recently upgraded to IOS4. For a couple of days I got what everyone else got - numbers instead of names for the contacts, plus odd ring tone issues.

But now what I get is "Activating telephone", then (after a while) the telephone switching off. I am not sure it has even started to download contacts.

Anyone else seen this one?

Also, I seem to have mislaid the pairing instructions for this device. Are they online somewhere? I am hoping an unpair/repair will at least restore handsfree functionality.

Sounds like its forgotten it's pairing.

Hold down the button on the top edge (left) for a few seconds until the blue lamp starts flashing faster
Search for BT devices on iPhone, when it comes up with iPhone cradle, select it and enter 62872 as the pairing code. Then wait a little bit for the address book transfer.

Richard

Upgraded iphone to os4 resulting in lost contacts

I too have upgraded my iphone to operating system 4. When syncing my iphnone with my computer I was advised I could upgrade to system 4. Why wouldn't I?? I have a 350 CLS and recently fitted the cradle (at vast expense ) to suit my iphone. To my horror I now find the phone contacts will not display and all I can see is a serial list of phone numbers. The in car system is now virtually unusable. Incidently the upgrade is not downgradeable to the previous version 3.1.3. Will Apple or Mercedes develop a patch or something to resolve this ridiculous anomally. Incidently, when I originally contacted Mercedes explaining the loss of contacts, the response was "oh if you have upgraded it doesn't work with your car's system". Maybe a quick letter to anyone who had bought a cradle for an iphone would have been useful, warning of the upgrade problems. Hopefully there will be a quick resolution without the need to buy a iphone 4 with matching cradle which mercedes have not yet created. PLEASE HELP QUICKLY - MERCEDES/APPLE.

Having just acquired an iPhone 3G, upgraded to iOS4 this is worrying. I was going to buy a new Viseeo and give up on the deeper integration the MB SAP BT cradle gives with my Nokia but it appears that is not an option for now.

I know the MB iPhone 3G cradle is supposed to have echo problems with the BT aspect of this on my 2000 W215 but wondered if those problems, and the garbled address book problems occured in "tethered" mode when the iPhone is inserted the cradle?

Various questions answered.

All: This is an Apple problem affecting lots of bluetooth devices. They did the same thing when iOS 2.1.0 was released. They fixed that issue in 2.1.2 which took a couple of months to come out.
Mercedes cradles are not firmware upgradable. (well, I think the SAP actually can be done by some special device).
ViseeO MB-2 device is upgradable by the user. When this happened before, ViseeO came out with an update significantly before Apple did. I know ViseeO are working on the problem as we speak.

amwebby: Yes the echo happens in tethered mode since it is using Bluetooth still. It also happens in some cars with the SAP-V3 strangely. MB-2 is your only choice.

Richard

Thanks for the reply Richard. I was hopeful that the cradle made a hard link as Comand Online says it then uses the car's aerial?

Looks like I'll have to wait for the Viseeo Upgrade. I bet they get to it before Mercedes-Benz or Apple. Apple have more pressing problems (geddit?) at the moment...

Last edited:
Wow....I have a 3gs and an ipone creadle in my W211 with Comand. Luckily I have read this before upgrading to iOS4. So I am right to assume that the best action to take is when asked to upgrade via itunes to decline until this problem is sorted?

I was hopeful that the cradle made a hard link as Comand Online says it then uses the car's aerial?

Theres an inductive pickup in the cradle that 'forwards' the signal to the main car aerial. (I'm sure someone is better at explaining how that works then me)

R

Wow....I have a 3gs and an ipone creadle in my W211 with Comand. Luckily I have read this before upgrading to iOS4. So I am right to assume that the best action to take is when asked to upgrade via itunes to decline until this problem is sorted?

Yes, avoid it until someone says its fixed !!

I upgraded, and havent noticed what the multi-tasking does for me in 4.0. The 'folders' feature is quite nice if you have loads of apps. (You can put all the 'games' in a folder, the folder names are fixed to the category of the app) - but having working contact transfer is much better than not.

Richard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom