Iphone IOS 4 and contacts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That's good news for iPhone 3 cradle owners. Looks like Viseeo users will have to wait for them to update the software as it is increasingly unlikely Slackle will do anything.

Roll on the official MB iPhone 4 cradle is all I can say.

I am happy connecting on bluetooth for now, but I would like to get access to the music on the phone without having to mess about plugging it in the glovebox, and charging would be a bonus as the iPhone 4 seems very battery hungry!

Battery, reception and bluetooth issues and the lack of customisable home pages are forcing me to look at Android. The iPhone is dead, long live the smartphone!

Last edited:
I don't suffer from th ereception issues on the iPhone 4 and nor does my wife. Yes, holding it in the "wrong" way causes a slight degredation of signal, but it did on every Nokia I ever owned. We have not suffered dropped calls yet though, and bluetooth works absolutely fine.

I have always had Nokia phones (with one misguided purchase of a HTC TyTn II which was rubbish), but after using the iPhone 4 for a month, I will not go back now.

Reception, particularly GSM reception, isn't as strong as my Nokia and the limited BT profiles, meaning not only no BT SAP connection but no file transfer over BT, hence the need to connect it by a USB cable (how quaint), coupled with a dearth of tools to manage my daily tasks mean the iPhone, for all that it has raised the bar as far as UX goes, just doesn't do it for me. As I said, Android looks the more advanced system now and that's where my money's going.

Hmmmm , I upgraded my iPhone 3G to iOS4 as soon as it came out . While the operation of the phone has at times slowed down , there have been no adverse effects as regards Bluetooth functionality with my Bury cc9060 carkit which still displays contacts as before , voice dialling via the carkit is fine and now ringtones from the phone are heard through the speaker rather than the carkit ringtone . The iPhone also works fine in the system 8 cradle I have in my partner's car .

I can't help feeling that the problems some are experiencing with Mercedes equipment is more down to Mercedes than Apple as Mercedes are notorious for not supporting multiple platforms ( just try accessing EPC on a Mac ) . If the rest of the world can support Mac , Mercedes ought to catch up .

I am waiting the 12 weeks from launch of the iPhone4 , quoted by Bury , until the new cradle becomes available , at which point I will decide whether or not to get an iPhone 4 . Taking a free upgrade to a 3GS , which will work with my existing cradles ( assuming it would run better on iOS4 ) , or downgrading my 3G back to iOS3 are the two alternatives as really the 3G does everything I need it to .

Hmmmm , I upgraded my iPhone 3G to iOS4 as soon as it came out . While the operation of the phone has at times slowed down , there have been no adverse effects as regards Bluetooth functionality with my Bury cc9060 carkit which still displays contacts as before , voice dialling via the carkit is fine and now ringtones from the phone are heard through the speaker rather than the carkit ringtone . The iPhone also works fine in the system 8 cradle I have in my partner's car .

I can't help feeling that the problems some are experiencing with Mercedes equipment is more down to Mercedes than Apple as Mercedes are notorious for not supporting multiple platforms ( just try accessing EPC on a Mac ) . If the rest of the world can support Mac , Mercedes ought to catch up .

I am waiting the 12 weeks from launch of the iPhone4 , quoted by Bury , until the new cradle becomes available , at which point I will decide whether or not to get an iPhone 4 . Taking a free upgrade to a 3GS , which will work with my existing cradles ( assuming it would run better on iOS4 ) , or downgrading my 3G back to iOS3 are the two alternatives as really the 3G does everything I need it to .

I was expecting you to blame Mercedes about their Star diagnosis not running on a Mac. They also could use some iOS instead of Windows based at their head units, just because Apple (and Apple fans) cannot adapt to what others already have, the rest of the world should adapt to what Apple has.

It is MBs fault if the iPhone does not charge from legacy iPod interfaces (when they suddenly change their charging design), the phone is not poorly designed but the user should know how exactly the phone should be held to avoid call drops etc. etc. etc.

Apple has great products but because of this attitude I'm also looking after an Android based product to be my next phone.

Star does not interest me since none of my cars need it .

The rest of the world , by and large , DO support Mac OS along with most other popular platforms for most software based devices ( cameras , printers , phones , PDA's etc ) so Mercedes ARE one of the minority who don't bother . Apple have always provided more inbuilt support within their OS for a wide range of devices than others .

If people like Nokia , Palm , Bury and many others can support Mac , then it is somewhat short sighted of Mercedes not to , given that the postings on this very forum supports the fact that the buyer profiles for both products co-incide as much as they do .

Star does not interest me since none of my cars need it .

The rest of the world , by and large , DO support Mac OS along with most other popular platforms for most software based devices ( cameras , printers , phones , PDA's etc ) so Mercedes ARE one of the minority who don't bother . Apple have always provided more inbuilt support within their OS for a wide range of devices than others .

If people like Nokia , Palm , Bury and many others can support Mac , then it is somewhat short sighted of Mercedes not to , given that the postings on this very forum supports the fact that the buyer profiles for both products co-incide as much as they do .

But why doesn't Apple adopt and make their OS compatible with the MB software? I thought they sort of do today when you can run native Windows applications.

What I'm complaining is that Apple and their customers always want the rest of the world to adapt to their approach, not them adapting to what already exists. If you have pretty much any other MP3-player, you are not restricted to use the SW from this same company on your PC or MAC, their SW is an option but if you have other MP3 players, you can choose another SW. Apple does not want to allow you a freedom to choose which to me is so bad that I want to avoid their products (I admit we have a few in our family).

This phone book issue is a typical example. At the US forum a member feels MB should fix it immediately because not having BT is a serious safety issue. They don't have a slightest idea that they could approach Apple with the problem. I prefer to stay away from someone who is hypnotising people to behave like they do and to abandon common sense.

In my opinion MB could have selected a USB mass storage interface approach (or something else that would be generic, I'm not familiar with this and don't know which generic option would have been the best) and force Apple and all others to support that. Then everybody should have been happy (perhaps not Apple). I believe they actually have taken an approach to this direction and have USB support available for new cars while still keeping iPod supported.

If you have pretty much any other MP3-player, you are not restricted to use the SW from this same company on your PC or MAC, their SW is an option but if you have other MP3 players, you can choose another SW. Apple does not want to allow you a freedom to choose which to me is so bad that I want to avoid their products (I admit we have a few in our family).

But that is why I am now on my 5th year with a Macbook Pro running the same install, while on my Windows Laptop I have had to format and start again 9 or maybe 10 times since then.
I installed 10.4 back in 2005, I cloned the drive when I put a 7200rpm 300gig drive in 18 months ago and put the same drive in my new i5 Macbook Pro a few months back, I have also 'upgraded' to 10.6 since then.
However, the same apps are running, the same pictures are on here and the same tunes too, I have not had to re-enter network settings or email settings and in all that time I have never had a virus or the machine slow down.

I am slightly more limited with the apps I use, but it is a small price to pay to know 'everything works'.

Regarding the iPhone OS4 update, I have found the same issue with many phone from Nokia and car kits over the years, bluetooth should be a standard and as such if you have bluetooth in your car it should be able to handle all the bluetooth protocols, reading contacts is a must, however the phone makers should allow you to choose how your bluetooth works so you can get it to work with your car kit.

Diesel Benz; said:
What I'm complaining is that Apple and their customers always want the rest of the world to adapt to their approach, not them adapting to what already exists.

What already exists ?

IIRC Mac OS predates Windows . Apple had the first Graphical User Interface when Microsoft were still using a keyboard to input lines of code . Apple have always led the way and do not need to be held up by others who are still several steps behind .

Carkits are accessories for the phones and it is they who should adapt to suit new handsets , not the other way around . Why should developers of new handsets be held back by the restrictions or limited capabilities of old carkits ? I am not talking only about iPhone here , as telephone technology moves on , it would be wrong for growth to be stunted by limitations of accessories .

I do not use the iPod part of my iPhone , nor any other mp3 player as they all sound terrible to me - even in a car the much less compressed AIFF format used by CD is audibly superior to mp3 ( which is not much better in turn than AM radio ) , although CD has its own shortcomings and is still bettered by a good analogue system in the home . Even so , it is widely recognised that mp3 players are very popular and iPod is the market leader , hence a great many cars interface with them .

Last edited:
What already exists ?

IIRC Mac OS predates Windows . Apple had the first Graphical User Interface when Microsoft were still using a keyboard to input lines of code . Apple have always led the way and do not need to be held up by others who are still several steps behind .

It is the reason Windows is such a piece of crap operating system, Windows are desperate to move things on, however backwards compatibility is all they have to keep them going.

Apple ever few years start fresh, os8, os9 and osX were all built from the ground up, they threw in a copy of the old OS for those that 'thought' they needed backwards compatibility, however most users realised that they didn't boot into it once they started using the new OS.

Windows is running on an extremely unstable backbone to keep this compatibility and they really do need to move things on and start from the ground up, but the risk is if none of your existing software works anymore why stay with Microsoft? it would give too many the excuse to move to a Mac, or even one of the free distros like Ubunto.

I am hardcore Windows and always have been, but I have to say that Apple make VERY nice looking kit, and it has come on in leaps and bounds.

Now they support Windows I will probably go Mac next time I upgrade and dual boot. Best of both worlds.

With my phones, I have always been Nokia, but now I have used my iPhone 4 for a few weeks, I will never go back. Yes it has it's drawbacks which Nokia doesn't, but it just does so much more than any of my Nokia did. And it looks the dogs!

It is the reason Windows is such a piece of crap operating system, Windows are desperate to move things on, however backwards compatibility is all they have to keep them going.

Apple ever few years start fresh, os8, os9 and osX were all built from the ground up, they threw in a copy of the old OS for those that 'thought' they needed backwards compatibility, however most users realised that they didn't boot into it once they started using the new OS.

Windows is running on an extremely unstable backbone to keep this compatibility and they really do need to move things on and start from the ground up, but the risk is if none of your existing software works anymore why stay with Microsoft? it would give too many the excuse to move to a Mac, or even one of the free distros like Ubunto.

Gizze - what technical expertise or knowledge/training/qualifications do you have for the above viewpoint?

scillyisles I am not going to get into an argument with you, as that is all you ever seem to do on forums mate, well want to prove a/your point anyway. ;)

I have said it as someone nothing more than someone who uses the OS's on a daily basis and it is a view widely held by many, windows is a pretty good OS, however, it should be built from the ground up so it could be less vunerable imho.
I have had my old man using Ubuntu for the last 2 years on his computer, he is not a computer user and it was his first one, however 2 weeks ago we put Win7 on his machine, I spent the whole of Saturday getting rid of a virus/tojan and it is still not right now with google hits going to stupid ads.

Two years with a Linux distro and never a problem, less than 2 weeks with Windows and his machine is screwed.
Easier system for him to use, just a pain with regards online security.

It is true however that Microsoft suffers from a higher incidence of virus attacks because there are simply more users around. Thay will naturally push up the stats, and combined with the fact that the virus writers and criminals will target the largest user base then this is not surprising.

Yes they have bugs and security holes in their software but so do Apple - agreed not as many though. If Mac was as prevalent as MS then we would see a lot more issues arising as it became a target for virus writers.

Getting back on track with this thread........

The IOS 4 issue is not confined to Mercedes bluetooth devices. It also happens on VW bluetooth devices. I tested it last night with an iphone 4 and a VW RNS510 with bluetooth. Its even more garbled than it is with a Mercedes Bluetooth!

Come on Apple, pull your finger out and get this sorted.:devil:

iPhone4 address book download

My iPhone 4 works with the 3GS cradle but I confirm address book download does not work

Viseeo have released a bluetooth firmware for iPhone only (dont install if you dont have iPhone) for the MB-2 adapter. You should contact your viseeo supplier to get it if you need it.

Cheers

Richard

Viseeo have released a bluetooth firmware for iPhone only (dont install if you dont have iPhone) for the MB-2 adapter. You should contact your viseeo supplier to get it if you need it.

Cheers

Richard
Richard, so does that mean if I want to buy a new Viseeo I have to specify "for iPhone use"? Does it also mean that that Viseeo is useless if I want to use it with any other phone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom