Iphone Unlocked or PAYG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tan

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W140 S-Class, Porsche Cayenne and Porsche Boxster
Hi

After my Nokia annoyed me again this morning, I think I will bite the bullet and get an iPhone. I am still deciding between a 16 or 32 Gb 3Gs the complicated bit is that I want to stay on Vodafone, so I need an unlocked handset.

What is a better to route to go with, unlock a UK handset (most likely PAYG) or get an officially unlocked unit from overseas?

Best regards

Tan

Re: Nokia:

Are you running the latest firmware version on your Nokia?

Its very easy to update to a bug free version.

I will check the firmware version, but it seams that the phone has problems when the used memory gets past a certain point. I thought that it may be full but I still have 745Mb of the 1Gb free.

The best solution is to get one that is already unlocked from overseas or a channel like Expansys. However, that's a very costly route to take when a DIY unlock with a PAYG iPhone is possible AFAIK.

The story is that 02 lose their exclusive franchise in October and that Orange and another company will pick it up

Certainly the 3G coverage on 02 is poor and even the phone coverage is worse than Orange

Nick Froome

Last edited:
The story is that 02 lose their exclusive franchise in October and that Orange and another company will pick it up

Certainly the G3 coverage on 02 is poor and even the phone coverage is worse than Orange

Nick Froome

I have moved from Orange (Nokia)to O2 (iPhone) and the phone signal is very much better with nearly 100% 3g coverage.

Officially unlocked iPhones from Expansys are the better way to go but very expensive. DIY unlocking will leave you open to being barred. You also loose out on many of the iPhone specific benefits that come as standard with o2

I am running two unlocked iPhones (3g 16Gb) with Vodafone SIMS - not had any issues whatsoever. I unlocked them myself and took about 10 mins.

2 = mine and my brothers.

iPhones are heavy on data use, what tariff do you have?

I have decided that I want a 32Gb iPhone in black.

Now I just need to find someone that can get me one from either Italy or Australia.

The cheapest place is Australia $1040 for a 32Gb which is £535.70, also fully unlocked

Last edited:
The cheapest least expensive place is Australia $1040 for a 32Gb which is £535.70, also fully unlocked

There, corrected for you.

£538 PAYG from o2 not unlocked (easy enough to do, apparantly..) but at least your warranty would be valid?

£538 PAYG from o2 not unlocked (easy enough to do, apparantly..) but at least your warranty would be valid?

Good point, my only concern with unlocking is how easily will it become re-locked and can I use I-Tunes properly.

There, corrected for you.

Granted, they are not cheap, but as I currently have a Nokia 8800 Arte which is worth quite a lot, the cost to change to the i-phone is minimal.

Bit the bullet and converted to the iPhone today after many years of using a Blackberry. Signed up for a 24 month O2 contract. I like it although as many already know, the battery life is pants.

UK price for an out-of-contract iPhone 3GS is around £320 + VAT. Google "iPhone insurance" for details

If you're getting better reception on your iPhone on 02 than on another network I'm jealous. In Sussex, Surrey, Wiltshire & Dorset, where I normally am, it's noticeably inferior

Nick Froome

mate.. cracking the new iphone is so easy.. look for redsnOw software. did mine in minutes.

Can't quite make my mind up about the iPhone still. A couple of friends have them now and my sister has just got one too.

I've always liked the high end Nokia's then I switched to Windows Mobile, having a number of o2 XDAs, palm Treo & HTC before moving to a Blackberry.

I was always a Blackberry hater but I can't find anything to tear me away from my Curve 8310.

I'm eagerley waiting to see the Palm Pre, it's frustrating how long we have to wait for these things as it's been available in the states for a while...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom