iPlayer tips and tricks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Corrado

Car
Civit 1.8VTEC
I frequently use the BBC Radio iPlayer by laptop when I'm out of the UK - and excellent it is too. Aussie TV isn't that great, so the icing on the cake would be to have use of the TV iPlayer but right now it spots that I'm out of the country and refuses to play because of legal stuff.

Is there any way in which it might be possible to fool the BBC iPlayer into thinking I'm on home turf and so allow me to use it?

[Installing anything or frigging around with proxies, etc is pretty much out of the question because my XP laptop is locked down under draconian admin rights.]

Any help appreciated. I'm a UK TV licence payer, so its "my right" to be able to receive it!

To "fool" iPlayer, you will need a British IP... problem is, most proxies won't let you use them for BitTorrent traffic (which is the protocol iPlayer uses).

Add that to your inability to set a proxy or install a program that will "proxify" your traffic, I think you're out of luck...

If I remember well, iPlayer uses wmv and Microsoft DRM, so getting around that shouldn't be hard.... but illegal... so theoretically, someone can download the show in the UK, de-DRM it and send it to you... Quite illegal though...

To "fool" iPlayer, you will need a British IP... problem is, most proxies won't let you use them for BitTorrent traffic (which is the protocol iPlayer uses).

Add that to your inability to set a proxy or install a program that will "proxify" your traffic, I think you're out of luck...

If I remember well, iPlayer uses wmv and Microsoft DRM, so getting around that shouldn't be hard.... but illegal... so theoretically, someone can download the show in the UK, de-DRM it and send it to you... Quite illegal though...

.... and large downloads. And they'd soon get bored doing that!

Thanks anyway.

I thought it was more or less a forlorn hope. Back to watching series 2 'Hustle' on ABC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom