Ipod connection

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Piff

MB Enthusiast
Car
Porsche Macan S
Santa kindly bought SWMBO a new Ipod for Christmas which has the newer small (8pin?)connector.
Car has Comand (NTG4.5) with media interface and 3 cables (3.5mm jack, usb & 30pin Ipod)
What is the best way to connect the new Ipod?

• new interface cable with 8pin connector?
  • USB - the Ipod came with a usb/8pin cable?
  • 3.5mm jack? (but there would be no charging)
  • 30pin to 8 pin adaptor? (many of the aftermarket ones don't do both charging & music)

Last edited:
I have the same interface, connect to aux via the jack input, connect the USB into the charge port on the iPod and jobs a good'un

That's what I do with my DAB radio receiver, just remember to unplug the USB regularly as you don't want to overload the battery. Infact just plug the charger in when it's low :thumb:

I have the same interface, connect to aux via the jack input, connect the USB into the charge port on the iPod and jobs a good'un

That's what I do with my DAB radio receiver, just remember to unplug the USB regularly as you don't want to overload the battery. Infact just plug the charger in when it's low :thumb:

Do you get controlability from steering wheel/comand unit?

Piff said:
Do you get controlability from steering wheel/comand unit?

Not via the Jack input no, however if I load music onto a USB stick and plug that into the USB input I can scroll through the tracks etc using steering wheel and my stereo on the screen with the wheel also

Volume on both steering wheel and stereo work with all inputs though, I haven't tried to see if iPhone/iPod via USB works with track selection, I'd imagine it does

Wondering if this would be the solution?

Piff said:
Wondering if this would be the solution?

Possibly, it'd definitely feed power to it but would need someone else to confirm if tracks can be selected and skipped using the stereo as opposed to using the phone/iPod

Possibly, it'd definitely feed power to it but would need someone else to confirm if tracks can be selected and skipped using the stereo as opposed to using the phone/iPod

Bought one of these and it works with the supplied 30pin media cable, controllable from the stereo. (needed a 20 cm cable to work with a dock in the house).
As it worked, I've now ordered one of these to keep in the car

I plugged my IPOD nano in via the USB cable from the lightning port on the IPOD and it works perfectly. Swiping the touchpad on the W205 restarts/advances tracks.

There are two versions of Media Interface, old and new, changed around 2013.

As you have the cable pack, the easiest is to buy a genuine Apple 30pin -> Lightning converter (they do one with a short cable, and that works nicely) and use that.

The alternative, if you have the newer version of the MI ("MI2") is the proper cable, which is https://www.commandonline.co.uk/mi_lightning_straight.html

If you look at the label on your existing cable, if they say "MI2_AUX" then they you have MI2. If it just says "MI_AUX" (or "MI_IPOD" etc), then your only option is the genuine apple converter.

Don't buy a cheap adapter, it will be troublesome.

Richard

Last edited:
I have a Alpine unit in my car that charges and changes tracks etc with the bigger 30pin plug. Now have an iPhone with the eight pin plug. Will one of these adapters allow me to use the new iPhone or is the voltage different?

SL300-24 said:
I have a Alpine unit in my car that charges and changes tracks etc with the bigger 30pin plug. Now have an iPhone with the eight pin plug. Will one of these adapters allow me to use the new iPhone or is the voltage different?

Should work with the converter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom