iPod FM transmitter Unit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacCLS500

Car
CLS500
Has anybody used a transmitter unit connected to an iPod then tuned into a radio station. I think Griffen do one. Has the signal improved from a few years ago. I have tried a link from the headphone output to Aux but does not work. Anybody got any information. I did not try the ipod connection to aux, maybe that will work. Got load of music that I wish to put on the ipod. I also use an apple iPhone 3GS which works well with the Visseo unit. Just a pity the 2005 CLS did not have the iPod facility. Any help fully appreciated.

A mate of mine uses one in his works van.

I think his is a Belkin.

Mac

You are best off with the I-pod/I-phone to aux route. FM transmitters are hit & miss if you are doing a lot of cross country driving. They rely on being tuned to a vacant station 88.xx. s you drive about that drifts and so does your transmitter. Re-tuning can lead to a motorway bridge support or a head on. Bung it on aux set to random. Unless you want Shang-a-lang on a continual loop along with Bye Bye Baby..

I agree with the above had a Griffin and Belkin and hit and miss and with the FM band getting really crowded with local and community stations then they really are a waste of time. Best way is to use a kit that goes in via the CD changer port and if you have a CD changer you can always use a splitter but I would give the FM Transmitter a miss

I agree, the transmitter route was not good,particularly with the i phone. The i pod interface kit is far from cheap but works perfectly.

iPod FM transmitter

Has anybody used a transmitter unit connected to an iPod then tuned into a radio station.
I have a black iTrip FM transmitter by Griffin, its the first produced and slots in the top of an iPod classic. I have the CD software disc but cannot find the booklet at the moment. It works OK when there's no interference.

PM me with your address, I'll send it to you. If it works for you, maybe a modest donation to a children's or animal charity.
If not, please return it to me.

I have connected an iPod to the 3.5mm phono socket that's in the glovebox, it works well for me on the AUX input. I also run an ipod power cable from the socket in the rear centre console, both are black, tucked them in under the trim and run them into the front centre armrest, it closes on the cables easily and they are hardly visible at all. I leave the ipod playing for a journey and switch to the radio when required.
Surely there is a socket in your glovebox?

Frank, a very happy CLS owner.

Your CLS should have an Aux-in in the glovebox, and you can pick up a lead for less than a fiver which will allow your to connect your iPod/iPhone/mp3 player and play music at a much better quality than an FM transmitter :)

I agree with Mister Adam, thats why the FM transmitter I have is not used

I also agree with MisterAdam but when I did this I had terrible audio quality. I soon realised this was only when the ipod was plugged into the charger.
I picked up a 3.5mm Earphone Jack Ground Loop Isolator Noise Filter from Fleabay and all interference noise is now sorted.
I just wish I could control the ipod from the steering wheel buttons and view tracks etc from the display but I can't afford the MB ipod interface at the moment.

I also agree with MisterAdam but when I did this I had terrible audio quality. I soon realised this was only when the ipod was plugged into the charger.
I picked up a 3.5mm Earphone Jack Ground Loop Isolator Noise Filter from Fleabay and all interference noise is now sorted.
I just wish I could control the ipod from the steering wheel buttons and view tracks etc from the display but I can't afford the MB ipod interface at the moment.

Steer with your teeth. This leaves your hands and eyes free to do the other things you mention on the i-pod.

It would be nice to be able to control the iPod from the steering wheel, but I'm honestly not willing to pay hundreds of pounds for such a small gain in functionability.

It would be nice to be able to control the iPod from the steering wheel, but I'm honestly not willing to pay hundreds of pounds for such a small gain in functionability.

Absolutely. One of these days I'll go through the tracks on my ipod and get rid of the dross so I won't be tempted to find the ipod and skip tracks while I'm driving.

Thanks for the info chaps. I found an old mp3 player which had a load of old tunes. I connect to the aux and hay presto it worked great. OK so once set in the glove box I can control the vol so its not too bad. I have tried the transmitter and it does not work as good as the aux. May now consider a iPod classic seen one 2nd hand for about 100 notes over 150mb so not too bad. Thanks again for info

May now consider a iPod classic seen one 2nd hand for about 100 notes over 150mb so not too bad. Thanks again for info
Mac CLS500
Have sent you a PM about iPods. Mine sits in the central unit with a Belkin power lead attached and a long phono lead threaded under the trim into the glove box connector. I leave it playing and accept that all I can do is adjust the volume. Works really well.

Mac CLS500
Have sent you a PM about iPods. Mine sits in the central unit with a Belkin power lead attached and a long phono lead threaded under the trim into the glove box connector. I leave it playing and accept that all I can do is adjust the volume. Works really well.

Received the PM and have replied but for some reason PM will not accept my replies when I respond. Looks like I have a problem or it could just be me.

I receive a post and then if I want to reply click the reply button and type message when done just click submit button then nothing?????

Your first post came through to me complete, and I have replied. The following two also arrived, so it seems the system is actually working for you.

Just so its public on the forum, I think your idea of connecting the iPhone to Aux in the glovebox will work, even though its also running via bluetooth on a Viseeo. I have the same setup so will try it later today.

Just so its public on the forum, I think your idea of connecting the iPhone to Aux in the glovebox will work, even though its also running via bluetooth on a Viseeo. I have the same setup so will try it later today.[/QUOTE]

This will work perfectly and is better than an FM transmitter (see earlier posts).

You will have no steering wheel control for the music (but will retain it via Viseeo for the actual phone).

Just tried it and it works fine. Its an iPhone 4S connected by bluetooth via a Viseeo MB2, with an Aux cable into the glovebox socket.
When making or receiving a call, music was muted and call worked perfectly, finished call and music came back on, as it would with the radio. I suppose it could be seen as a nuisance to have to unplug the phone when leaving the car, and personally, the lack of display on the dash is not a problem. I'll keep my spare iPod connected, since I have one, but I am sure any modern bluetooth phone with music would work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom