Ipod/Itunes help please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SL300-24

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
1984 500SL, 2007 E320 CDI Sport Estate, 1995 SL320 R129
I had to remove some programmes from my hard drive to make some space for a new program. Amongst the programs that I removed was quick time player, not realising it was for itunes. I could not get the new software to load so I reset my computer to an earlier date and reinstalled itunes think that it would install over the old one and all my music would play as usual.
This was a big mistake as I have lost my entire music library.

I still have it in my ipod (nano 4th generation).

Is the library stored somewhere and retrievable? I have looked but cannot find where it would be.
Alternatively can I ‘backload’ the music from my ipod into itunes, and if so how can I do it?

I would appreciate any advice.
Thanks

You should be able to get your ipod to match up backwards to the hard drive

Thanks....but how?

I know this is silly - but see if you have a folder marked games....if so have a look in there - I found mine in there once.....

But I thought all your music should have been stored in a music folder and that itunes is just a front player that links to that folder...

See if you have the mp3 files in music....(or games).......

I didnt think that ipod files can be downloaded to the hard drive - but google transfering files from ipod to laptop and there are some free programs that allow you to do this..

EDIT....Gucci beat me to it...

Last edited:
search an individual song title and if it's there you will see where it's stored.

If you have no backup, good luck. :(

You wont be able to sync your device to your PC in reverse unless there's some 3rd party utility out there somewhere.

If you sync to your empty iTunes you'll just wipe your iPod. God I hate iTunes.

Thanks to all. I did not have an itunes backup. However what I do have is a folder named MP£ into which I store all my families music on the PC. I normally then add any folders or files into itunes. Luckily I still have this folder which has a lot more music that what is stored on itunes.
What I did was to import the whole MP3 folder into itunes, and I now have to go and tick the tracks that I want in my ipod. I will then only import the ticked tracks and it should do the trick. Thanks...luckily the MP3 folder is still intact I will now make a backup of itunes!

Theres lots of 3rd party software will get your music off your ipod.
I use a mac one that is very good.

Sharepod is well rated I think

It won't help you, but it may help others who find this thread.

I also removed Quick Time a few weeks ago as part of a housekeeping exercise, also not realising iTunes needed it.

I found out last week before I encountered the problem caused by ripping CDs with hidden tracks (thread on here).

I just installed Quick Time fresh, and iTunes came back to life.

If you've previously moved or set your iTunes music folder to be somewhere other than the default location - for example I have it on a separate partition - then your reinstalled version of iTunes may not be able to find it.

If so, you'll need to tell it where to look - first thing to do is find it yourself. I'd be surprised if the music is lost unless you've formatted your hard drive. Have you tried searching the hard drive? Could it be on a separate partition?

iTunes Library DIY

OK – this is a wee bit laborious, but it does make keeping track of your self ripped (iTunes) CDs easier.

Disclaimer – may contain unnecessary steps.

1) Create Windows folder of choice, My Music/Artists or CDRips/Artists, etc
2) Rip CD to iTunes as usual
3) Remove CD from PC

4)
a) Copy ripped tracks (direct from iTunes) to folder created in step 1
b) Delete ripped tracks from iTunes library

5) Re-Copy tracks from Windows folder to iTunes

What this does-

You have all your tracks/albums etc in easily findable folder(s) on your hard drive, this makes backing up easier, transferring to a new PC easier – also the music is accessible by other software – streaming for example.

What this doesn’t do-

Doesn’t back up “iTunes Library” any problems with iTunes and you will need to recreate the library by dragging all the songs back to iTunes. Doesn't enable transfer of iTunes Library to different computer.

Mike

I've used one called Music Rescue a few times in the past and it works great. Is free too to try and you can buy it if you want. Hopefully though you won't need to;)

http://www.kennettnet.co.uk/musicrescue/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom