irate coppers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
...worth a try ;) ...not that I am in any way condoning flouting the law of course.

Forget the normal sticky pads, use some heavy duty velcro, have done on mine, the plate would take paint with it if needed to be removed !

Would the velcro not just come apart like it is designed to do ?

The whole point of the hook and loop system is to provide a strong bond until pulled apart. Someone could nick your plates ?

Can't beleive the discussion here to be honest , your plates fell off , plod saw that they had and gave your wife a talking to. They didn't frisk her , or torture her , there were no internal cavity searches.

Formals complaints ? , making life difficult for the plod ? , they should have offered her tea while they gave her a soft talking to ? , just man up and put the plates on the car , and forget about it.

Last edited:
Use a proper MB number plate holder.

That is screwed to the car in the proper non-rust mountings, and the plate is held, virgin and unscrewed for the unobstructed viewing of 8 million cameras.

Or stick a false plate on, bit of clingfilm and a half decent PC printer can have a new and amusing one every day:)

The 'trap' type holders are great, don't need to be MB even if they are good quality.

My ebay ones were cheap enough and loads less hassle.

Great for private plates as easy to swap back to original plates.

Had a similar thing happen in Italy recently. Sticky plate holders gave up the ghost with the car at Pisa airport. Retrieved the plate from floor and decided to risk the drive home - about 30 minutes. Usually never see a cop car but needless to say I was stopped for not having a rear plate visible. It was in the boot. Not a good situation. My dodgy italian and a couple of local police. Explained the situation and they could not have been nicer. They even got some tape from their car to fasten the plate back on until I got home! Did not check the papers or anything. In the end it all comes down to attitude, just being nice to fellow humans and being helpful.

Many moons ago a copper noticed I wasn't wearing my seatbelt and wound his window down to have A polite chat, but unfortunately when he noticed my donor kebabs on the passenger seat were wearing their seatbelt he came over rather irate for some reason and gave me a severe rollicking !!!

Were the kids left alone whilst their Mother was taken into the Police vehicle? If so then I'd raise a formal complaint against those concerned.

yes and later on they went to bed concerned mummy may end up going to prison :mad: relieved to wake up thismorning and find daddy had saved mummy by sticking the plates back on :bannana:

anyway, everyone will be pleased to hear that the number plate is now fully secured back onto the car in the proper fashion :D

as i said in a previous post i am pleased the cops didnt issue any fixed penalty but i do think that the way they spoke to her was a bit harsh considering it was obvious it had fallen off and we had make a temporary fix-up, and the fact we had the two young kids in the back of the car. also, found out when i got home last night it was two cop cars that stopped, not just one. 2 cop cars with 2 coppers, 20 mins sitting at the side of the road doing the car tyres/MOT/insurance checks, and a talking to in the back of the cop car regarding the correct display of number plates, with two young kids (4 and 7 sitting in the W124 thinking whats going on) ... what a waste of time for everyone involved IMO. they should of sent her on her way quicker than that once they had determined car was not stolen etc etc.

as i say, plate is back on and thats it, but what a faff IMHO!

I found the Halfrauds pads rubbish too, similar issue.

However, trim tape, much better. Proper glued on. Not a problem at all.

m.

yes and later on they went to bed concerned mummy may end up going to prison :mad: relieved to wake up thismorning and find daddy had saved mummy by sticking the plates back on :bannana:

anyway, everyone will be pleased to hear that the number plate is now fully secured back onto the car in the proper fashion :D

as i said in a previous post i am pleased the cops didnt issue any fixed penalty but i do think that the way they spoke to her was a bit harsh considering it was obvious it had fallen off and we had make a temporary fix-up, and the fact we had the two young kids in the back of the car. also, found out when i got home last night it was two cop cars that stopped, not just one. 2 cop cars with 2 coppers, 20 mins sitting at the side of the road doing the car tyres/MOT/insurance checks, and a talking to in the back of the cop car regarding the correct display of number plates, with two young kids (4 and 7 sitting in the W124 thinking whats going on) ... what a waste of time for everyone involved IMO. they should of sent her on her way quicker than that once they had determined car was not stolen etc etc.

as i say, plate is back on and thats it, but what a faff IMHO!

I respect your views. :thumb:

It's not as easy as sending her on her way once they determined the car wasn't stolen.

They need to carry out routine checks to establish that other matters are in order.

I assume the cops didn't know your wife.

They need to establish whether the car is stolen / whether your wife is a disqualified driver / wanted on warrant / whether she is under the influence of alcohol or drugs / whether she has a full driving licence / whether the car is insured and has a valid MOT (if required ) whether she has abducted the kids in the car / whether the car is legal re tyres, lights, tax. etc etc etc etc.

The list goes on and on.

All the above will be routine to the cops but they will go through the same process for every vehicle they stop.

Some of the above will take seconds to establish but other will take a little longer depending on radio checks.

I'm sure the reason why 2 cops arrived has nothing to do with your wife and kids being in the car. There will be a simple explanation which you will probably never know. It could be something as simple he or she wanted to speak to his or her colleague for an unrelated matter.

Stopping someone for a number plate offence will be their bread and butter but 9 times out of ten it leads to more serious offences.

Don't criticise them for doing what they are paid to do.

Respectfully yours. :thumb:

I Use the surrounds, either the black MB one or this style.

Then the number plate slots inside and is secure. The Front of the B class like the E class is quite angular so awkward at first to get it to fit.

I like this method to me it looks quite neat?

d6339803.jpg

and the back one..

f26c03e5.jpg

Last edited:
I was stopped by the Police on the M25 (well I was actually in stationary traffic) they pulled alongside on the hard shoulder and proceeded to berate me in what could only be described as grunting sounds. Rude does not even get close to how they behaved. My crime ?? I was smoking a cigarette in my own car, in stationary traffic behind an accident at 08:30 in the morning. No there was no spilt petrol running down the road. A bin lorry and a car transporter ad had a kiss and blocked the exit slip. Both drivers were out and clearly visible.

I fumed about this for 24 hours and eventually wrote to the Police Force concerned who were as a bemused as I was. The officers in question were on their way to the accident (five hundred yards in front of me). They were unhappy at having to use the hard shoulder. They felt that the other four lanes of stationary traffic could have levitated out of their way to allow them to waft through without the need to dirty their tyres on the dusty (and empty) hard shoulder. I was "spoken too" because I was smoking.

I have now received a full apology.

One can only imaging the conversation that the officers had when the eventually reached the accident. "Sorry about the delay folks!! There was a bloke back there smoking in his own car. Now is anybody injured?"

And before anybody labels me as a Police hater or troublemaker, consider this....

I had done nothing wrong or anything that could even come close to breaking any law.

I did not invite the officers to shout at me.

If I walked up to Policeman in the street and yelled "Oi You !! what do you think you are doing" I would expect him/her to take offense at my attitude.

Please & thank you cost nothing but can win everything.

Last edited:
A210AMG - those look good. are they OEM or come from ebay???

The back one on the B class and My E class (kust in the photo) are MB from the local Garage.

The front one with thesilver logo is an flea bay special.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom