Ireland Road Trip • Advice, Recommendations, Experiences?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello everyone, how's it going?

There has been a slight change of plan. Decided to save Ireland for some other time. Just feels like it would be better to simply fly there one day and get a rental, stay in proper places and have some company on that trip as well. Also the ferries seem too expensive (close to €200 one way). It's money that I'd rather spend on getting around in the Merc ... and a drone maybe? A long overdue investment that would surely reignite my love for photography.

So where am I going? Wales, mostly. I've only seen bits of it on our 2015 trip and judging from all the photos and photospheres that I studied on Google Maps over the past couple of weeks there's plenty more to explore. Seeing some military aircraft around the Mach Loop is one of my main goals there.
I need to be around Aberdeen, Scotland by the 13th of August for the Grampian Forest Rally. It's my favourite kind of motorsport that unfortunately I haven't been able to see in real life yet. So that's a must and I can't wait for it! I was actually looking to spend more time in the west of Scotland afterwards but I just can't be ****d dealing with midges, and August seems to be worst time, unfortunately ... The highlands look better in autumnal light anyway, so I guess I'll have to return for that at some point, too.

I wish I could tell you that the car was coming along nicely and I was pretty much ready... but that's not the case. About two weeks ago I found the passenger side carpets to be soaking wet. There must have been an influx of rainwater via the interior blower due to a blocked drain. Had to take it all apart, unclog the drains, clean it, disinfect it, replace the filter that I had just replaced :rolleyes: ... Thankfully it happened here and not while on the road (I would've gone mental), and also in one of the hotter weeks, so I was actually able to get it all dry again. Still it took a couple of days and was quite the headache. But now it should be good for a couple of years and I can again focus on getting the interior ready. I always forget that I'm 6'4'' at 230 lbs so making that passenger side somewhat bed-like will be a serious challenge. On a more positive note: I had the rear windows tinted earlier this week and must say, it looks quite sharp on the silver S202 and you can hardly see through from the outside, especially when it's dark. Pretty cool. No pic yet, though.

Hello everyone, how's it going?

There has been a slight change of plan. Decided to save Ireland for some other time. Just feels like it would be better to simply fly there one day and get a rental, stay in proper places and have some company on that trip as well. Also the ferries seem too expensive (close to €200 one way). It's money that I'd rather spend on getting around in the Merc ... and a drone maybe? A long overdue investment that would surely reignite my love for photography.

So where am I going? Wales, mostly. I've only seen bits of it on our 2015 trip and judging from all the photos and photospheres that I studied on Google Maps over the past couple of weeks there's plenty more to explore. Seeing some military aircraft around the Mach Loop is one of my main goals there.
I need to be around Aberdeen, Scotland by the 13th of August for the Grampian Forest Rally. It's my favourite kind of motorsport that unfortunately I haven't been able to see in real life yet. So that's a must and I can't wait for it! I was actually looking to spend more time in the west of Scotland afterwards but I just can't be ****d dealing with midges, and August seems to be worst time, unfortunately ... The highlands look better in autumnal light anyway, so I guess I'll have to return for that at some point, too.

I wish I could tell you that the car was coming along nicely and I was pretty much ready... but that's not the case. About two weeks ago I found the passenger side carpets to be soaking wet. There must have been an influx of rainwater via the interior blower due to a blocked drain. Had to take it all apart, unclog the drains, clean it, disinfect it, replace the filter that I had just replaced :rolleyes: ... Thankfully it happened here and not while on the road (I would've gone mental), and also in one of the hotter weeks, so I was actually able to get it all dry again. Still it took a couple of days and was quite the headache. But now it should be good for a couple of years and I can again focus on getting the interior ready. I always forget that I'm 6'4'' at 230 lbs so making that passenger side somewhat bed-like will be a serious challenge. On a more positive note: I had the rear windows tinted earlier this week and must say, it looks quite sharp on the silver S202 and you can hardly see through from the outside, especially when it's dark. Pretty cool. No pic yet, though.
If you are in Aberdeen its not far to the NC500 from there, definitely worth it if you have the time. I live near it and usually do it a couple of times a year, many people will tell you it is over run with motorhomes/traffic but Ive never had any problems with overcrowding on it.

The east side of Scotland isn't quite so bad for midges. From Wales a trip north through the Lake District (beautiful), Gretna Green (look it up), across throught The Borders (very picturesque) to Edinburgh, over the Forth Road Bridge for the best view of the rail bridge, slight diversion to St. Andrews (a wonderful place even if you don't like golf. Get your picture on the Swilken Bridge) then up to Aberdeen. Sorted.

If you are in Aberdeen its not far to the NC500 from there, definitely worth it if you have the time. I live near it and usually do it a couple of times a year, many people will tell you it is over run with motorhomes/traffic but Ive never had any problems with overcrowding on it.
What time of the year do you go? I’ve been wanting to go for several years and recently shelved plans because I’ve read multiple reports of it being overcrowded and prices soaring (accommodation, meals, drinks etc) because of it’s popularity.

Thanks, yeah I thought about doing the NC500 as well and considering I'll be so far north anyway it would be a shame not to go for it. Also doing it anti-clockwise could make for a nice build-up and less crowded roads, at least on my side. Or does it really not matter?

The east side of Scotland isn't quite so bad for midges. From Wales a trip north through the Lake District (beautiful), Gretna Green (look it up), across throught The Borders (very picturesque) to Edinburgh, over the Forth Road Bridge for the best view of the rail bridge, slight diversion to St. Andrews (a wonderful place even if you don't like golf. Get your picture on the Swilken Bridge) then up to Aberdeen. Sorted.
Yeah it's really the West that's haunted, isn't it? Back in 2013 we had to skip the Isle of Skye for that reason. We got out of the car and were covered in midges in less than a minute. Of course we weren't prepared as we hadn't heard about these creatures then. Possibly the quickest visit to that place in the history of mankind. 😅 I'm certainly taking another little trip through the Lake District though, it's such a beautiful area indeed. There are still a couple of mountain passes I haven't driven. Also I can't wait to take a walk around Edinburgh again and drink a toast to Druk.

Funny how I actually thought driving to Greece or Portugal would be the right thing... but it's about more than just pretty landscapes and sunshine. Maybe afterwards ... 😜

Usually
What time of the year do you go? I’ve been wanting to go for several years and recently shelved plans because I’ve read multiple reports of it being overcrowded and prices soaring (accommodation, meals, drinks etc) because of it’s popularity.
May or end September to avoid midges. There is limited accommodation on the route so book early but I wouldn't say accommodation or food costs are any more than anywhere else.

Thanks, yeah I thought about doing the NC500 as well and considering I'll be so far north anyway it would be a shame not to go for it. Also doing it anti-clockwise could make for a nice build-up and less crowded roads, at least on my side. Or does it really not matter?

Yeah it's really the West that's haunted, isn't it? Back in 2013 we had to skip the Isle of Skye for that reason. We got out of the car and were covered in midges in less than a minute. Of course we weren't prepared as we hadn't heard about these creatures then. Possibly the quickest visit to that place in the history of mankind. 😅 I'm certainly taking another little trip through the Lake District though, it's such a beautiful area indeed. There are still a couple of mountain passes I haven't driven. Also I can't wait to take a walk around Edinburgh again and drink a toast to Druk.

Funny how I actually thought driving to Greece or Portugal would be the right thing... but it's about more than just pretty landscapes and sunshine. Maybe afterwards ... 😜
Midges in the middle of the summer can be bad around Kylesku area but the rest is usually ok. My preference is anticlockwise

While I do enjoy it a lot, there's a few downsides to travelling by car on your own ... We're looking at a distance of around 7000 km for the entire trip which equates to 800 € in fuel cost alone, based on average figures of the past 8 months – and I don't know how bad MPG will get with the roof box attached and the car fully loaded, being beaten around some of Britain's 'worst' and steepest roads ...

Anyway. I'm looking to take the channel ferry on August 1 which is a Monday and a lot cheaper than the weekend of course. Still 85 quid at least, even for early morning or late night crossings. I will book one or two days in advance max but that shouldn't really make much of a difference in prices during the week. So about 1 grand just to get around. You should see the look on my face right now and it's only partly due to the irritated tonsils plaguing me at the moment. But oh well, I haven't been out and about in almost two years and I'm actually expecting a tax refund that will cover most of said fuel expenses. So what am I moaning about?

The car's AC is being sanitized and serviced in the local shop as I write this, so I will at least have some fresh and clean air if I do happen to break down in the wilderness of the far North. Nah, seriously, I'm convinced the car is in good shape and ready to clock up some miles on a proper trip, especially after all the short distance rides in the first half of the year ... 😣

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
While I do enjoy it a lot, there's a few downsides to travelling by car on your own ... We're looking at a distance of around 7000 km for the entire trip which equates to 800 € in fuel cost alone, based on average figures of the past 8 months – and I don't know how bad MPG will get with the roof box attached and the car fully loaded, being beaten around some of Britain's 'worst' and steepest roads ...

Anyway. I'm looking to take the channel ferry on August 1 which is a Monday and a lot cheaper than the weekend of course. Still 85 quid at least, even for early morning or late night crossings. I will book one or two days in advance max but that shouldn't really make much of a difference in prices during the week. So about 1 grand just to get around. You should see the look on my face right now and it's only partly due to the irritated tonsils plaguing me at the moment. But oh well, I haven't been out and about in almost two years and I'm actually expecting a tax refund that will cover most of said fuel expenses. So what am I moaning about?

The car's AC is being sanitized and serviced in the local shop as I write this, so I will at least have some fresh and clean air if I do happen to break down in the wilderness of the far North. Nah, seriously, I'm convinced the car is in good shape and ready to clock up some miles on a proper trip, especially after all the short distance rides in the first half of the year ... 😣
You will be going right past my door in Moray. PM me when you are up to meet up if you have time. If not enjoy your trip.

We once travelled (in Australia) from Adelaide>Coober Pedy>Uluru>Alice Springs>Tennant Creek > Mount Isa>Brisbane.........did it in two weeks and was about 6000km. Did it over Xmas/Newyear in 2010/2011. Heat was unbelievable. Fuel expense was crazy as I was towing an off-road caravan with a 4.5L V8 Land Cruiser .

All right, what can I say? Ferry is booked and leaves at 8 am tomorrow. Finally. However, the car's started leaking coolant yesterday. Great, innit? Seems like the LPG vaporiser is the culprit and if I'm lucky it's just the old hose or clamp or both since it's wet around that part. I shall check that now and hope I can fix it. Then pack like a maniac and keep watch of the time. The ferry ticket is non-refundable unfortunately, and I really don't want to stay here yet another day. Also I need to be around Aberdeen by Saturday for that rally which I really want to visit. And even if I said screw it, I'd still need to be around Edinburgh for the Travis concert on Sunday. The next couple of days are going to be veeery interesting. Wheather-wise as well. Looks promising, till the weekend at least. :rolleyes:

All right, what can I say? Ferry is booked and leaves at 8 am tomorrow. Finally. However, the car's started leaking coolant yesterday. Great, innit? Seems like the LPG vaporiser is the culprit and if I'm lucky it's just the old hose or clamp or both since it's wet around that part. I shall check that now and hope I can fix it. Then pack like a maniac and keep watch of the time. The ferry ticket is non-refundable unfortunately, and I really don't want to stay here yet another day. Also I need to be around Aberdeen by Saturday for that rally which I really want to visit. And even if I said screw it, I'd still need to be around Edinburgh for the Travis concert on Sunday. The next couple of days are going to be veeery interesting. Wheather-wise as well. Looks promising, till the weekend at least. :rolleyes:
I hope the leak is sorted quickly and easily, and that you have a safe and enjoyable holiday. Wishing you the best!

Welcome. We've turned up the temperatures and cleared away a few clouds for you.

This weather is as good as it gets for the UK. Just don't think that it's typical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom