Iron Oxide Stains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndrewOl

Car
E350 A207
Hi,

I have just bought a 2010 A207 in Calcite White. Starting to tidy it up and noticed quite a few iron oxide stains mostly on the lower doors behind wheels. I have used iron detox from Car Chem which removes any little iron flecks stuck to the paintwork but doesn't seem to shift the oxide stains in the paintwork. Is there a chemical treatment that would work or do I just need to try and compound these out. I am no detailer but will have a go at simple stuff. Paintwork is in good order for a 10 year old car and I think it will polish up well just wondered if there was some prep I could do on the iron oxide stains.

Cheers

Andy

As mentioned by Wighty they may not be rust. If they are I'd say your iron fallout remover should sort them out. I have some Iron X that I used to prepare my car. I have a boiler vent on my house that is rusting and had stained the wall and the gas meter cupboard, I took a punt and soaked it with Iron X. Nervous moment as a huge purple stain appeared all down the wall.....but it hosed right off and removed the rust stains. I was completely amazed I thought nothing could remove rust stains like that.

Thanks guys. I will try a bit harder with the Iron x and then have a go with a clay bar if still no joy. I may have just been impatient as usual!

Cheers

Andy

Thanks guys. I will try a bit harder with the Iron x and then have a go with a clay bar if still no joy. I may have just been impatient as usual!

Cheers

Andy
If you spray on the Iron X and there are no purple streaks, then I would assume there is no iron present on your paintwork.

To get any contaminant off the paint try using a clay bar, contaminants meaning anything on top of the paint, rather than under it. The chemical stuff works, but last resort is the clay bar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom