Ironing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Iron too hot.

The iron is too hot for the garments and bits of articifical fibre are melting onto the iron later to be deposited on other shirts. All garments have little labels which tell you what they are and the dial on the iron must be adjusted accordingly. Note that it is probably best to iron the cool setting stuff first as the iron will take time to cool down and not spoil the clothes which need the cool setting. Saves time. Frankly, for someone who gets their laundry down for them, you ought to be buying 100% natural fibre clothes anyway which cuts down on the problems. Silk still needs care though. I can't stand anything artificial. And when ironing particularly delicate stuff you do it through an ironing cloth so the iron does not contact the material but the steam or heat is let through. Just my 22c. Les.
PS I do all my own shirts and suits but undergarments do not require ironing in my opinion. Ironing while still a little damp is good too.

Surprised no-one has recommended this for hints and tips.

A danger sport that combines the thrills of an extreme outdoor activity with the satisfaction of a well-pressed shirt sounds right up MOCAŠ' street.

Looking back at the original post, it shows a bottle of scented water.
Do you allways use that?
Try using plain tap water and see it its that which is causing the gunge.

I don't always use the same stuff, but it's always purified water (distilled or ironing, which may be the same thing). I've avoided using tap water due to potential limescale issues.

Just a quick thought, in between using it during ironing, do you stand it up on the board or rest it on the holder thing at the end of the ironing board?

The iron is too hot for the garments and bits of articifical fibre are melting onto the iron later to be deposited on other shirts. All garments have little labels which tell you what they are and the dial on the iron must be adjusted accordingly. Note that it is probably best to iron the cool setting stuff first as the iron will take time to cool down and not spoil the clothes which need the cool setting. Saves time. Frankly, for someone who gets their laundry down for them, you ought to be buying 100% natural fibre clothes anyway which cuts down on the problems. Silk still needs care though. I can't stand anything artificial. And when ironing particularly delicate stuff you do it through an ironing cloth so the iron does not contact the material but the steam or heat is let through. Just my 22c. Les.
PS I do all my own shirts and suits but undergarments do not require ironing in my opinion. Ironing while still a little damp is good too.

See post #18. I also avoid man-made fibres, so I'm not convinced that's the cause (although it has been suggested that there could be trace elements in some fabrics).

I think the most plausible suggestion so far is that it may be due to a combination of excess detergent and insufficient rinse time.

Just a quick thought, in between using it during ironing, do you stand it up on the board or rest it on the holder thing at the end of the ironing board?

My ironing board has an angled rest incorported into the iron stand, presumably to ensure that the steam jets are not blocked while it's standing.

My ironing board has an angled rest incorported into the iron stand, presumably to ensure that the steam jets are not blocked while it's standing.

I never place our iron on that angled rest and we've never had your problem?

Maybe worth a try? :dk:

The iron is too hot and what you see is burned synthetics.

Not that I would like to claim any real expertise in ironing other than my wife has delegated the task to me you understand. :eek:

A couple of other pointers for those of you with this particular onerous task...

Always use filtered water (britta filter will do).

Buy an iron with a remote steam bucket thing. Similar to the one below. makes life much much easier. (you'll likely need a new ironing board too designed for the extra weight)

41x8VmQfc8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

You can either add the extension set below to the ironing board... it wont stop the iron sole plate turning brown but ironing will be more amusing. :bannana:

...or you can get yourself a scooby ironing board that can at least perform some useful functions like getting you from A to B. Would not even require a forum name change :D

Attachments

• ironset.jpg
    ironset.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 63
  • scooby.jpg
    scooby.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 63
I can’t believe I actually read this thread!!! But having said that I use wrinkle free cloths and a tumble dryer, a sure bet.

One can always just have one's butler attend to these tiresome chores .

I think he's sacked his butler due to the increasing caviar prices, and now regretting his over-hasty move.:doh:

Having read through everything again, I still think it is melted artificial fibres. Gentle rubbing with a scour pad / sponge thingie has worked on my family's iron, followed by a good steam. The gunge is building up on the hottest part of the ironing plate so I definitely think it is something melted. Note that a shirt can be 100% natural cotton but still has artificial bits in it like the inside labels and maybe some of the threads. The fact that your iron remains on the cotton setting (the hottest) does not rule out this explanation. With shirts, iron on the inside or underneath where possible and be careful with the sleeves.
It might be something in the water (outside possibility) but if you use distilled water this can be ruled out. Clean the iron and turn down the temperature on it for a couple of weeks to see if this reduces the rate of gunge build up.

Under housekeeper. No self-respecting butler would do ironing of clothes, Mocas would be mad to try it.

Under housekeeper. No self-respecting butler would do ironing of clothes, Mocas would be mad to try it.

I think Pontoneer meant the butler would instruct the laundry maid to carry out the offending task.

I think Pontoneer meant the butler would instruct the laundry maid to carry out the offending task.

Well, she is obviously too busy carrying on with the footman if Mocas is having to do it himself.

Staff, where can you find them these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom