Irony(rusty)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Car
98 E300 td estate
Parked my 205,000 mile '98 E300 Turbo 210 outside our local dealers today whilst concluding the purchase of a new Smart.(Great car,CR*P sales staff,usual merc incompetence)
Drove off,gearbox stuck in 3rd/4th gear,limped home with increasing blood pressure/decreasing bank balance.Pulled into lay-by,turned off engine,restarted,all ok.
How can a merc dealer ruin my car without even touching it? :confused:

0303 said:
How can a merc dealer ruin my car without even touching it? :confused:

They have a radio transponder that acts on all cars parked in the "Sales" or "Parts" carpark.
They don't use this transponder on cars in the "Service" carpark as it would give people the opportunity to have it fixed for free.

It's operated by the Sales dept, it's designed to make you sign for a new one.

transponder

Dieselman said:
They have a radio transponder that acts on all cars parked in the "Sales" or "Parts" carpark.
They don't use this transponder on cars in the "Service" carpark as it would give people the opportunity to have it fixed for free.

It's operated by the Sales dept, it's designed to make you sign for a new one.

That was brilliant :bannana: rolling on the floor laughing my head off :D ....then silence as I realised who posted the reply. :eek: . :confused: then the dreaded element of doubt entered my head and thought that is almost believable ;)

Last edited:
Perhaps not such a naive question. Take a look http://www.glenair.com/html/emi.htm Has anyone come across a detailed evaluation of the effect of electromagnetic interference on car electronic systems, probably not. How many engine ECU,s previously functioning correctly fail suddenly or start to act erratically for apparently no reason. Its always put down to simple component failure but who knows. If such components are vulnerable to EMI you can bet Robert Bosch will not be broadcasting it. Sorry no pun intended!!!

There is a supermarket car park near me where many people find remotes do not work unless your are within a few feet of the car. Is surrounded on three sides by offices blocks and atop two of those are huge mobile phone arrays.

Coincidence? I think not.

Satch said:
There is a supermarket car park near me where many people find remotes do not work unless your are within a few feet of the car. Is surrounded on three sides by offices blocks and atop two of those are huge mobile phone arrays.

Coincidence? I think not.

Most of the petrol stations now offer the space inside their price boards for placing mobile phone masts... It is always a good Idea to lock your car doors with the key in these stations as I have seen incidents where the car locks but will not re open on return (My MR2 being one of them :( )

I also know a guy that got his rover stranded in a field of radio kit after the car could not hear the transponder key in all the noise :(

This happens to motorcycle alarms all of the time as they are more exposed. It looks quite strange when you see someone laying across their bike to try and shield the box of tricks from extraneous radio noise. Some garages in France have equipment that blocks mobile phone signals, also does a good job of blocking alarm fobs as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom