Irregular Engine Rev's Under Hard Accel - W203 C220

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stevie N

Car
W203 C220 CDI
Hi all,

I'm just new around here so sorry if this has been covered before, I have spent an hour reading around but can't find anything that resembles my problem.

I bought my W203 last June from a independent dealer after it had been passed to them by a leasing company. The car previously belonged to a family member and has a full MBSH because it was a compnay car. They had a lot of work done to it courtesy of the company with a view to buying when the lease ran out in Dec 06. However the leasing company asked 4 grand more than they were willing to pay so it was returned.

Anyway it is a 2002 W203 C220 CDI now with just under 83k on the clock, 76 on purchase last June of which 85% were motorway miles. Recently I have started to have a number of problems with it and I am wondering if anyone on here can help instead of going to a stealer and being bluffed.

When I accelerate hard and reach 4th and 5th gear the revs take a jump on reaching 2500rpm, up to over 3000 then slowly make their way back down again once stable accel is normal. Is this an injector problem? It does now feel a little under powered compared to how it used to be.

The next thing that has started recently is a rattling front right suspension under braking on bumpy roads. At the last B Service 2 years ago the brake disc's look like they would need replacing around now, could it be the discs causing this rattling or is it likely to be a suspension problem? I am also getting a whine from the front right side of the car whe steering on a cold engine. Perhaps damaged suspension causing extra load on the power steering? On 13/6/06 Front A/R/B Link and Front Bushes were replaced if this is any use?

Is replacing brake disc's something a good independent can do because I don't feel like paying the extorionate labour costs that the stealer charges for something easy.

Any advice would be great.

Regards,
Stevie

Hi and welcome.

I would say that the low power was or could be a MAF problem. You could try and unplug it to see if it goes better.

Re the rattles, this is normally the anti roll bar links and bushes, quite easy and not expensive

The brakes can be done by an good indie,, where are you in the UK

Hi Malcolm,

Thanks for your quick response. How would I go about unplugging the MAF and were abouts do I find it? Recently had to change a left front indicator bulb and it was a nightmare to get at! Turned out the bulb wasn't broken, instead the connection wasn't great, a quick file to expose the connection pins and I haven't had a problem since.

I am in Belfast, N Ireland. I have heard of only 2 good indies in the provence. We also only have one company as an offical Merc dealer so they can get their arm in for the price of the stamp.

If anyone has any suggestions for a good in in NI it would be fantastic.

Cheers,
Stevie

Hi and welcome.

I would say that the low power was or could be a MAF problem. You could try and unplug it to see if it goes better.

Re the rattles, this is normally the anti roll bar links and bushes, quite easy and not expensive

The brakes can be done by an good indie,, where are you in the UK

^ ^ ^ What he said!! ^ ^ ^

Any competent mechanic should be able to change brake discs & pads - they're no different to any other car.

Ok point taken, ta. Its my first Merc so don't know which parts are standard and which aren't.

S

Welcome to the forum by the way.

I'm sure Malcolm will be back shortly with a diagram on disconnecting the MAF sensor.

who are the good indy gargages in n ireland

Hi

I live in Belfast and want to get my w203 220cdi serviced for the first time, you mentioned in your thread of two good independant gargages that will service mercs, could you pass on their details to me?

thanks

Thank you very much guys.

I will give it a go and see how I get on. Read this post just a few minutes ago (http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=18298) - might go the whole 9 yards and give it a go. The symptoms described by Parrot are exactly what I have.

Will let you know how I get on but it may be the weekend before I do it.

Cheers
S

Last edited:
Hi Malcolm,

Sorry it took a while to get back about this but it is now sorted.

Fuel filter was the problem and was resolved by installing a new (genuine) one and giving the air filter a good clean out. Although the car had a full Mercedes history stamped into the book the garage obviously were using non genuine parts because the filter that came out wasn't Merc. Air filter system was good as new.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

Stevie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom