Is 2 litres enough?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You're right we do aspire for more, but I think most people would not notice the difference in performance between the SLK300 with sport pack (lowered suspension and 350 brakes) and the SLK350. Both are very capable, I think on paper the 0-60 is about 0.5s quicker in the 350. Most drivers won't achieve the tested figures anyway.

When I test drove the SLK350, the salesman tried to get me to sign up for the SLK300 but I wasn't interested. His argument was that the 300 was only marginally slower than the 350, whereas my argument was that the 350 was marginally faster than the 300. If I'd followed his thought process, I would have ended up with a Fiesta 998cc, or a 2CV.

I call it 'Aspiration', in that we aspire to better things in life, whereas the salesman is trying to shift something that doesn't sell itself, for his own gratification and targets.
Every cloud has a black silk lining eh?

You're right we do aspire for more, but I think most people would not notice the difference in performance between the SLK300 with sport pack (lowered suspension and 350 brakes) and the SLK350. Both are very capable, I think on paper the 0-60 is about 0.5s quicker in the 350. Most drivers won't achieve the tested figures anyway.

Yes, but knowing that it is half a second faster is all that most of us would need to know. If we are buying a car to be a sports car, rather than pure luxury or practicality, then knowing it's faster than the Audi or BMW parked in the next driveway is all important to the ego.

Whether we use the performance or not, it's nice to know it's there.

Yes, but knowing that it is half a second faster is all that most of us would need to know. If we are buying a car to be a sports car, rather than pure luxury or practicality, then knowing it's faster than the Audi or BMW parked in the next driveway is all important to the ego.

Yes, and it's also about the way the engine delivers its power across the rev range. When you want to drive slowly the larger engine will need fewer revs. When you want to do a casual overtake the larger engine will take it in its stride better. When you want to go banzai there's more banzai-ness on tap at the top end.

Win win win.

If we are buying a car to be a sports car, rather than pure luxury or practicality, then knowing it's faster than the Audi or BMW parked in the next driveway is all important to the ego.
I don't think our neighbour realises our car is faster than their car. I might have to follow June to Waitrose in her Citroen C3 and blast past her on the dual carriageway.

Ah well, I don't really care if my car is faster than the Audi or BMW next door or not. There are lots of cars faster than those I have and that's always going to be the case.

Ah well, I don't really care if my car is faster than the Audi or BMW next door or not. There are lots of cars faster than those I have and that's always going to be the case.

I live in the heart of the Fens, which is farming country, so it's easy to get blown away by a farmer in an Aston or Masserati, or even a Tesla.

;)

(and they say there is no money in farming? you could have fooled me.)

I live in the heart of the Fens, which is farming country, so it's easy to get blown away by a farmer in an Aston or Masserati, or even a Tesla.

;)

(and they say there is no money in farming? you could have fooled me.)

It’s a 365 day job, so they deserve it.

I don't think our neighbour realises our car is faster than their car. I might have to follow June to Waitrose in her Citroen C3 and blast past her on the dual carriageway.
Sorted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom