Is 70mph too slow?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Erm... well potentially, everything.

This black box could very easilly monitor an awful lot more than you'd want it to. GPS coordinates, times, placews, speeds, changes of direction, braking forces, throttle positions in fact it could gather a few thousand bits of data including video or audio and upload it on the fly to a central repository available to whoever and whatever.

My old W124 is barely able to store any form of error codes. :eek: I agree though that modern cars already have some potential for evidence gathering should there be a serious enough requirement.

The only cars that I know of to date that automatically phone home and upload data all come hail from Maranello.
The point is that the tachograph shows quite a lot of information but we play the game by the rules.. I am guesing that EVERY driver exceeds some speed limits, or breaks some motoring law, but do we break them by choice or by ignorance? If we break the lawby choice, then stand up... be a man and takeit on the chin (I am referring to me) If we break the law by ignorance, then wedeserve to be punished for not knowing the relevant law..

I hate some speed cameras with a passion, but if I were to get caught speeding then I personally would not blame anyone other than myself... It was my choice and my decision to exceed the speed limit. I made an active decision knowing full well I was breaking the law... My choice, my decision and guilty as charged.

I hate some speed cameras with a passion, but if I were to get caught speeding then I personally would not blame anyone other than myself... It was my choice and my decision to exceed the speed limit. I made an active decision knowing full well I was breaking the law... My choice, my decision and guilty as charged.

I usually try and blame the devil inside me or sometimes I just say "the voices made me do it orificer" neither of which have stood me in good stead in the past though. :D

I've never fallen foul of a fixed camera though - yet.

What about when you yourself provide the evidence to convict yourself, just by doing something legal, natural and vital to support life.

All these arguments were brought up when breathalysers were introduced, and failed.

Yes but breathalysers belong to the police, it's not on that your own car could plugged into to somthing and used to punish you.

What next?

Look at the crash involving Princess Diana in the W140 - the one occupant wearing a seatbelt (thus giving himself a chance) survived the crash into a concrete pillar at IIRC something like 80mph .

While I might suspect few other cars are as safe as a W140 , it is not so much of a stretch to imagine hitting a relatively 'soft' object like another car at 'only' another 20mph faster , might well be survivable .

There was also the TV Fifth Gear programme's test where they drove a remote controlled W126 at 70mph into a bunch of stationary cars to simulate a fog bound motorway crash . The W126 suffered very little damage to the cabin with Tiff Needell commenting that all occupants would most likely survive such a crash ; the other cars it hit were demolished though . I think the video clip can be found on You Tube

I had a high speed , head on crash , doing 60 before I braked when the oncoming car appeared at a similar speed , probably only had 3 or 4 seconds between seeing the other car and the impact , including the first OMG second where nothing happens , so was probably still doing 40 or 50 when he hit me , other driver just let go and crossed his arms in front of his face so likely didn't brake at all . I got out unhurt - thanks to being in a Mercedes-Benz ( a W115 220/8 , built in 1970 ) and wearing my seatbelt .

It can be quite surprising just how severe a crash can be survived .

Last edited:
There was also the TV Fifth Gear programme's test where they drove a remote controlled W126 at 70mph into a bunch of stationary cars to simulate a fog bound motorway crash . The W126 suffered very little damage to the cabin with Tiff Needell commenting that all occupants would most likely survive such a crash ; the other cars it hit were demolished though .
The car didn't deform much but that would have put more pressure on the occupants.

That said the Fiat or whatever that the 126 hit was totally crushed and on one side the front and rear wheels were touching. The occupants would have stood zero chance of survival.

The passenger safety cell didn't deform , stayed substantially intact as it was designed to , but the crumple zone at the front certainly absorbed a lot of energy , besides a lot being passed into the other vehicles , thus slowing down the deceleration process .

The addition of airbags , which late W126 models had , and forward looking radar which would see through fog and automatically brake would no doubt help , but still no substitute for common sense .

The strength and safety of the car was one of the main reasons I went for the W126 after the new addition to the family last year .

I was wondering if maybe it's just the way I drive!!!! The latest episode... while driving in the borders yesterday, I was on a twisty road when I came up behind a couple of cyclists. I could just see through the twists ahead and concluded it was in no way safe to overtake them. I then caught a glimps of a lorry coming the other way which confirmed that. Then a Vectra ( VXR ) overtook me, came face to face with the lorry and pulled back over almost taking out the cyclists missing them by inches. Later I saw him overtake on the brow of a hill as another oncoming car frantically flashed their lights in a panic.... I must have bought a car with a d*ckhead magnet attached.

I was wondering if maybe it's just the way I drive!!!! The latest episode... while driving in the borders yesterday, I was on a twisty road when I came up behind a couple of cyclists. I could just see through the twists ahead and concluded it was in no way safe to overtake them. I then caught a glimps of a lorry coming the other way which confirmed that. Then a Vectra ( VXR ) overtook me, came face to face with the lorry and pulled back over almost taking out the cyclists missing them by inches. Later I saw him overtake on the brow of a hill as another oncoming car frantically flashed their lights in a panic.... I must have bought a car with a d*ckhead magnet attached.

And how come they never get caught by the Police for that type of driving whilst we all get caught for doing 34 in a 30 mph zone?

Don't worry , he won't survive long if he continues like that .

Just hope he doesn't take anyone out along with him .

We live in an area which has a 20mph limit and I am sure my wife is the only driver that complies with this restriction. I regularly watch cars overtake us and then have to brake sharply and sometimes stop on our offside to avoid colliding with an oncoming vehicle... There are no footpaths and these idiots regularly force pedestrians off of the highway and onto the grass bank.... The problem with that is there is a huge 200metre cliff face that these folks can fall down.

It is my pet, pet hate. Driving at a speed we cannot stop within the distance we can see to be safe. Itis not driving without reasonable consideration... It is dangerous or even reckless:devil::devil: rant mode (again) Where's Howard when I need to lash out? :thumb::eek::)

The problem with that is there is a huge 200metre cliff face that these folks can fall down.

Just give the fastards a little nudge over the edge before they hit the pedestrians :devil::devil:

Don't worry , he won't survive long if he continues like that.

Just hope he doesn't take anyone out along with him .

Unfortunately, in the brief time I view I had of him, he nearly took out 2 cyclists, 1 oncoming car and potentially the lorry driver. Folk like this plough through life without any regard for anyone else. Now where is that 200m cliff when you need it?

Lots of valid points....i too drive a lot in Germany and have been over their twice when i had my Suzuki Hayabusa motorcycle (did 200mph for a short spell) and the standard of driving is much much higher, our system cant get much better until people here are taught better.
I passed my test in a crappy 900cc car at 10 in the morning in a place called Stevenston (Ayrshire) i told my boss i passed my test and he said "great, theirs my car keys...go to a call-out in Perth" (approx 90 miles away)I had only ever driven for 3 miles on a motorway previously.
I have always been a confident -and i'd like to think safe driver- but Britain seems to be it's own worst enemy for causing all these problems. Yes cars are much much safer/capable but if the person behind the wheel doesn't know any better, we will always end up with the same results!!!!
An unfortunate truth seems to be that we all go through different "phases" i used to drive far too fast when i was younger and would get my knee down at every opportunity and now i sometimes drive like miss Daisy because i know better....
If we dont get taught right in the beginning then we either learn from our mistakes or sometimes die by them.........

Bloody hell......is that the time already...you lot have kept me up late enough.....im off to bed..........nitey nite..
:bannana::bannana::bannana::bannana:

I passed my test in a crappy 900cc car at 10 in the morning in a place called Stevenston (Ayrshire) i told my boss i passed my test and he said "great, theirs my car keys...go to a call-out in Perth" (approx 90 miles away)I had only ever driven for 3 miles on a motorway previously.

I have always thought it odd that we don't have any requirement in the driving test for motorway driving or driving at night. I think these should be mandatory, and if not on a real motorway then at least in some mock up situation on a test track. At the very least it should be incorporated into lessons in some manner.

I have always thought it odd that we don't have any requirement in the driving test for motorway driving or driving at night. I think these should be mandatory, and if not on a real motorway then at least in some mock up situation on a test track. At the very least it should be incorporated into lessons in some manner.
Pass plus includes both those things, additionally driving in adverse weather conditions.

From my experience,its a pity EVERY driver hasnt been on a police skid pan,or had 2 years stock car driving,because they would learn a hell of a lot about car control. Just because the car has lost control,it does'nt mean the driver has got to let it hit the tree/lorry. YOU CAN STEER A CAR WHILE ITS GOING SIDEWAYS. If any of you get the chance of a police skid pan,take it, it could save your life.

I don't think so! Regardless of what technological advance from add your favourite 3 letter acronym here the human body still is designed to go at 4-5 mph max. . :eek:

Is this your 4-5 top speed?I could go faster than that with my leg in plaster. A runner can hit 22.5 mph average over 100m and thats from a standing start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom