Is 70mph too slow?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Pass plus includes both those things, additionally driving in adverse weather conditions.

It's too late by the time you have passed your test, what is taught in Pass Plus should be taught as part of the standard driving test.

Is this your 4-5 top speed?I could go faster than that with my leg in plaster. A runner can hit 22.5 mph average over 100m and thats from a standing start.
Yeah and I've done about 18mph running down the side of a mountain but if a pedestrian jumped out in front of me while I was so focused then I'd probably have slipped and gone down the mountain on my face.

It's too late by the time you have passed your test, what is taught in Pass Plus should be taught as part of the standard driving test.
Keep it under your hat (OOPS!) but I did the pass-plus lessons (with the obvious exception of the motorway) during my normal lessons. I learned to drive during winter so I had snow and heavy rain plus darkness etc to cope with and then a couple of days after I passed I did the motorway lesson.

I'd recommend everyone has at least one motorway lesson - there is so much to learn.

Keep it under your hat (OOPS!) but I did the pass-plus lessons (with the obvious exception of the motorway) during my normal lessons. I learned to drive during winter so I had snow and heavy rain plus darkness etc to cope with and then a couple of days after I passed I did the motorway lesson.

I'd recommend everyone has at least one motorway lesson - there is so much to learn.

Totally agree thats a great way to do it, just a shame you cant drive on the motorway under instruction so this could have been incorporated too. :thumb:

Although motorways are off limits , it is good practice for learners to go onto dual carriageways . When I taught my daughter to drive I made full use of various stretches of dual carrigeway to give her some 'feel' of what it would be like to be on a motorway . After she passed her test , I took her on the motorways too .

Like Shude , I learned during the winter (birthday in January , so that was when I started being able to drive on the public roads) and had darkness , rain , snow etc to contend with .

Learned on my dad's 220/8 with column change gears , too :D

Although motorways are off limits , it is good practice for learners to go onto dual carriageways . When I taught my daughter to drive I made full use of various stretches of dual carrigeway to give her some 'feel' of what it would be like to be on a motorway . After she passed her test , I took her on the motorways too .

Like Shude , I learned during the winter (birthday in January , so that was when I started being able to drive on the public roads) and had darkness , rain , snow etc to contend with .

Learned on my dad's 220/8 with column change gears , too :D

I totally agree and will be teaching my daughter to drive in less than 6 months, not that shes going to need much teaching, if she can handle a race car the way she does then getting some road sense into her I hope is not going to be too difficult, her hazard perception is amazing on the computer simulations.

I like her had been driving for a couple of years on circuits and private facilities from about 15 before I took my test, passed 6 weeks after my 17th birthday. Its a bit of a challenge in our family as to how quick you can pass, my Nephew is currently the record holder 8 days after his 17th birthday, so we'll see if my daughter can beat that!

Anyway back on topic whilst dual carriageways are good experienceand simulate to an extent what motorway speed is like unfortunately most of them cant simulate the entry / exit to a motorway which is where a lot of new drivers screw up big time. Fortunately there are some real good dual carriage ways where you can now give them a feel for exit / entry and the A50 running from Derby to Stoke is a great training ground for this.

Still think its a shame though that a learner in the advanced stages of training cant use a motorway whilst being accompanied by a qualified instructor.

My first drive on the public highway was on a dual carriageway with a 40 limit! My instructor was one of those guys who believes in the "deep end" style of learning!

Is this your 4-5 top speed?I could go faster than that with my leg in plaster. A runner can hit 22.5 mph average over 100m and thats from a standing start.

I mean without causing damage. Try hitting a wall at 22.5. see what happens. Also that range of speed is only at a very short burst over a very controlled environment (100m) and usually only achieved by exeptional people (olympic runners).

I learned to drive during winter so I had snow and heavy rain plus darkness etc to cope with and then a couple of days after I passed I did the motorway lesson.

I am having one of my giggly moments.......

Don't tell anyone, but I went on the motorway on my first lesson.........

We went through the Mersey Tunnel, I missed the exit and ended up on the M53. To be honest, after driving all round Liverpool City Centre (Dad believed in starting at the deep end) the Motorway was a doddle!

The lesson started at 9am in Southport, took in Liverpool, North Wales, Anglesey, various parts of Cheshire, Manchester, Bolton & Preston, and finished about 10pm.

Every time I went to Liverpool on business (late 70s/early 80s) I ended up going through the Mersey tunnel by mistake. Where was satnav when I needed it most?!

No but many people are too fast. Fast cars need fast wits, skill and judgement.
IMO.

I had 9 pts on my DL at one point, my driving's improved so has the car I drive. No need to show off in a merc.

Every time I went to Liverpool on business (late 70s/early 80s) I ended up going through the Mersey tunnel by mistake. Where was satnav when I needed it most?!

I had to go down to Liverpool at New Year when my MIL was taken into hospital - hadn't previously been for many years but thought I'd be OK because I had my TomTom . How wrong I was - the city centre had been practically rebuilt during the preceeding year for the 'City of Culture' and so many streets the satnav tried to send me down were pedestrianised/one way/closed off altogether :wallbash:

I also ended up going through the tunnel by mistake .

Post your average.

quick as lightning :D

haha, just got a 0.0000!

Going back to an earlier post where they had a reaction time of 2.3 seconds was 'average', that seems incredibly slow to me, what were they doing, putting their shoes back on in order to brake?

Last edited:
I learned to drive during winter so I had snow and heavy rain plus darkness etc to cope with

I learned to drive in winter too, middle of North Yorkshire in the pitch black, with high hedges and snow, rain, mud etc on country lanes. That teaches you how to learn what your car can do in nearly any situation and how to control it..

Thinking back, my instructor was bloody good, and must have enjoyed his work. Pretty sure he was a part time ambulance driver too.

What is wrong with that if the data is obtained by court order. It is the same with any evidence. The police cannot search your house without warrant. Having such button could be the equivalent of every stabber being given a bleach laced rag to wipe their knife clean after every attack.

I imagine any stabber worth their salt would carry a bleach laced rag with them precisely to be able to wipe their knife clean after attacks.

that aside, it brings up the question of who the car belongs to. if it's my car then I want to be able to see what data it is collecting and I want the access to be able to start/stop the data collection, take my own copy and/or delete it as I see fit. if the gov feel they must have this access to my car, then they can help me pay for it!

By law 70mph is the limit and on motorways this is completely disregarded, much more so in England in my experience and keeping up with traffic on the M40 is a near 3 digit affair and 70mph gets you overtaken by AA trucks towing broken down renauts.

doesn't this make the law pointless? as the above states, if you drive on the motorway at 70mph, then virtually every driver (95%?) except the professionals who have limiters on, overtake you. lets be conservative and say 50% of motorway drivers routinely break the speed limit. It seems ridiculous that one can enforce a law that virtually everyone ignores to one extent or another...

I've stated this opinion before but I do believe that most people know what speed a road "should" be. let me clarify this.

Most people have a handle on their level of driving skill, the abilities of their car, the condition of the road, visibility, weather etc and from this they can determine roughly what a safe speed for the road is. I also think this is the speed they tend to drive at, often regardless of what the actual speed limit is.

I think this is fine and well if the road is set to a speed that is suitable for the road, but when the local council has deliberately set speeds artificially low then people get annoyed as they "feel" they they are being held up (and perhaps rightly so). If you're driving along a 2 lane dual carriageway with wide grass verges, no houses, fairly straight etc. then a 30 or 40mph limit is going to feel stupidly slow and rightly so. This is a road I would hazard most people are going to break the speed limit on and frankly, I think I probably would too.

now yes, there are some roads that are deceptive and deserve a lower limit even though they feel faster, but the badly signposted roads dilute this a lot. if roads were given limits that were more appropriate then seeing a lower limit would mean something and people would feel that it's worth slowing down for.

I also think that few people do 40mph down a small residential road with cars parked down both sides and little space. Few people have a major issue slowing down to 20mph in front of a school.

the issue for most people are the roads that "should" be faster.

and okay, I know there are some people who will always drive much faster than is sensible and this is an area where I'd like to see the law do it's thing, but that shouldn't stop sensible speed setting for the rest of us.

Also, remember that speed limits are maximums. they don't require that you do those speeds for every foot of the road. a couple of sharper corners should not bring down the limit for an entire road. a couple of idiots treating a road like a racetrack should not bring down the limit.

do you guys see where I'm coming from? comment and discuss :)

dave

Most people have a handle on their level of driving skill

Totally disagree, and this is what leads to accidents. How many here have been on a skid pan for example?

Most people say they are 'above average' when it comes to driving skill, but most (and that includes most here: sorry!) are only average (or less!).

If everyone was above average, then the average would be higher!

Totally disagree, and this is what leads to accidents. How many here have been on a skid pan for example?

Most people say they are 'above average' when it comes to driving skill, but most (and that includes most here: sorry!) are only average (or less!).

If everyone was above average, then the average would be higher!

there was like a page and a half of text there, surely you can give me more than that! :)

dave

i think Mercedes drivers should be allowed to go up to 150 mph...

BMW drivers should be limited to 50...

all others can be linked to an appropriate speed limit by some deeply researched scale... maybe the top gear cool wall..

i think mercedes drivers should be allowed to go up to 150 mph...

Bmw drivers should be limited to 50...

All others can be linked to an appropriate speed limit by some deeply researched scale... Maybe the top gear cool wall..

:) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom