Is a cars registration year its production year?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

350cls

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E55k AMG Sold / S211 E320 CDI I6 W212 E63 6.2 N/A saloon.
As above. As my E320 CDI is coming up with a production year of 2002.

Even though my log book is stating car first registered May 2004?

This would confirm the car is in the glycol contamination era.

Very confusing!!!

No

A car might not be sold (be registered) for several months or even years after it left the production line.

A car registered on, say, 1 January will clearly have been made the year before

How are you determining the 'production year'?
A car may have a delivery date (on the car's datacard, delivery date is when the car left the production line) of 2007 but be a 2008 model, as in the brochure spec and options

Not unusual - my 968 cab build completion was August 1992 but first registered in UK July 1993, no explanation from Porsche other than "there was a recession in UK at that time". PITA as it meant she is a 92MY car, certain fuel line parts NLA so when they corroded I had to change to the slightly different 93< MY lines - £300 of parts and 4 1/2 hours labour instead of a quick and easy change-out!

As WN said, car can be produced in say mid 2007 but would be a 2008 spec build. So, the car could have been built when a '07 was current but could easily be registered when a '08 plate was new (1st March).

You car would definitely fall into the possible contamination period so I would get the cooler modified to prevent it happening.

I'm confused shal I provide my vin number for the car?
Would it be possible for someone to check it out for me?

Not showing production year only delivery which is 5/2004.

On a different vin decoder site it come up with production 2002.

:wallbash:

There are three dates here
1. When it was actually built.
2. The model year
3. When it was registered for the road.

A car could be built in say August 2008, but its actually a 2009 year specification. However, due to it being a bad stock spec or goes into a private collection it might not be registered for the road.

Build/production date is what I require to determine the car is in the glyco contamination era.

The vin decoder site that WN provided didn't give production dates. Only delivery, which was 5/2004.

As on different thread. My car has been diagnosed with these glyco symptoms. It's a two year difference with production and first registration date!!

My CL was built in 11/2011 but first registered in 11/2013. On the spec sheet you can see the things which were changed to bring up to 11/2013.

Not showing production year only delivery which is 5/2004.

On a different vin decoder site it come up with production 2002.

:wallbash:
Delivery date is the date it left the production line, so it's production date.. (As I said in Post#3)
Look further down the list for Year of modification, or YOM. Might be an number such as 804 or 805 (MY 2004 or MY 2005 respectively)

The code number C relates to a 2002 build car. Which puts my e320 well and truly in glyco territory. I'm at ease that I know the car is in the affected time frame but angry at myself for not realising the registration date is obviously not the build date.

2 year gap is quite a difference though. Bloody Valeo rads :wallbash:

Thanks very much for all your knowledge and info guy's it's appreciated. :thumb:

Tom

I meant to put, code 2, represents a 2002 build which is my car :wallbash:

At least I'm keeping the old girl and hope to have it sorted asap. That reminds me I better get in touch with Automatic Transmissions.

When working correctly the W211/S211 are such fantastic cars to drive. They really are. Magic carpets.

I'm looking forward to getting it back to be honest. :)

Does the model year thing roll on each year? Mine was registered Oct 04 and the VIN decoder which produce a data card show an option code of 805, the 5 meaning it's model year 2005 - it's a facelift model, which were built from July 04. Maybe it would stay as model year 05 until they made a change and perhaps in 2002 those changes weren't frequent.

On the glycol issue, I thought this was one of those things that's passed now - ie any car with the issue would have surfaced quite a few years ago.

When working correctly the W211/S211 are such fantastic cars to drive. They really are. Magic carpets.

Yes... the ride quality of my 55 didn't make a lot of sense as it was incredible but there wasn't a great deal of sidewall on the 18" wheels.

Their AirMATIC and suspension setup on the 211 must have been a work of art to get it that good.

Does the model year thing roll on each year? Mine was registered Oct 04 and the VIN decoder which produce a data card show an option code of 805, the 5 meaning it's model year 2005 - it's a facelift model, which were built from July 04. Maybe it would stay as model year 05 until they made a change and perhaps in 2002 those changes weren't frequent.

On the glycol issue, I thought this was one of those things that's passed now - ie any car with the issue would have surfaced quite a few years ago.

Mine didn't surface until 206,960. So if it's in the glyco time frame it could raise its head any time. If not taken care of way before this mileage!

Build/production date is what I require to determine the car is in the glyco contamination era.

The vin decoder site that WN provided didn't give production dates. Only delivery, which was 5/2004.

As on different thread. My car has been diagnosed with these glyco symptoms. It's a two year difference with production and first registration date!!

I can check EPC for you if you like, PM me if you don't want to put your VIN out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom