Is a clearcoat only possible?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RaceDiagnostics

Car
450SL XK8
Given the cost of a respray I am looking into alternatives. Since the car is metaic blue, is it possible to get the car rubbed down to remove the swirles, scratches etc and then have a clearcoat blowen over to get a nice new finish?

I also jsut contacted these guys for a quote for a full paint restore and polish, their site indicates a cost of about £300.

www.liquid-detailing.com/

My motor had truly awfull paint swirl.

Before I went for a top coat re-spray I thought to have a go at a fix myself.

So I brought a Meguiars claybar kit and set to all the panels, post claying I the used the supplied polish then a seperate Meguiars deepshine wax.

The result was fantastic and a new top coat is not needed.

Cost was £30!

it would be far more better to get the excisting paintwork detailed and treated
than consider have a new coat of clearcoat and even if you did this would cost
nearly as much as having a full paintjob done plus there would be a very big
risk braking through the old clear into the base colour.

Clive

If you go on detailing world forum its amazing what they can do.

You may even find someone near you cheaper, or buy an old bonnet and the kit to practice on and do it yourself?

I just did a search and found this

Detailing World

Would be very , very difficult to remove just the clear lacquer from the car without damaging the colour coat. The amount of preparation/masking would be about the same whether you are using clear/colour .Sounds very similar to my pale blue 107 which looks great from 10 ft away , but on closer inspection , althouth the lacquer is very smooth and shiny, the paint finish underneath is quite flawed. The hard work is in the preparation , if you are prepared to pay for a topcoat respray , may as well have the fresh colour put on first. Maybe arrange to do some of the prep work yourself ?;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom