is a cracked headlamp lense an MOT fail?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SilverSaloon

MB Enthusiast
Car
1994 W124 E300D Estate, 1985 R107 280SL
Hi

i have a crack across my headlight lense caused by a stone....

the light works fine.

is this a fail?

cheers

derek

I believe it is. Either way you'd be wise to replace it otherwise water will leak in & make the reflector silvering go off

They are about £60 from a dealer. GSF and the like used to sell pattern versions but, last time I checked, they don't any more

If you have headlamp wipers the lights are lots of fun to remove. One tip: put some thick tape over the chrome strip & bumper under the light to avoid scratching it as you remove the *7&$%%%!ing headlight

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

I believe it is. Either way you'd be wise to replace it otherwise water will leak in & make the reflector silvering go off

They are about £60 from a dealer. GSF and the like used to sell pattern versions but, last time I checked, they don't any more

If you have headlamp wipers the lights are lots of fun to remove. One tip: put some thick tape over the chrome strip & bumper under the light to avoid scratching it as you remove the *7&$%%%!ing headlight

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

ok cheers - i wanted to replace it anyway, but i guess its more urgent now (mot end of the month)

No it's not a fail, provided the beam meets the specs.

Our Audi passed the MOT last year with a cracked lense, it was an 'advisory' item (or whatever the term is).

But as above it is a good idea to replace it.

No it's not a fail, provided the beam meets the specs.

Our Audi passed the MOT last year with a cracked lense, it was an 'advisory' item (or whatever the term is).

But as above it is a good idea to replace it.

i'm putting the car in for MOT this saturday so may try without and then fit it if it fails.... i dont have much time to fit it in the meantime but i will get one just incase and fit it next time i can. Thanks for the tip about the water getting in and ruining the foil - its been cracked for a few months now so i suppose i better get it sorted ASAP.

I just hope the headlight is all i need to worry about!! :(

As BTB500. If the beam pattern is correct and so is alignment then it will pass.

As others as alog as beam is OK and no holes it's OK. Although I suspect it depend's where you go - a less scrupulous test centre may see it as way to take a few quid off you and get some work in.

Don't forget you are risking oodle's of inconvienance. I know my headlamp is cracked, I thank the person that tells me and instantly fix it.

I never have any luck other than bad luck and I just know that if I don't fix it then water will seep through the crack and short out the lamp , I'll be in a hurry to get somewhere and along comes PC glojo and books me for only having one headlight.

I go along with the majority,
Ignore it, your car should pass its MOT

Good luck
Regards
John

If you want a lense (left or right) give me a call.

Now you tell me..

I just spent a fortune buying a nice lens for my camera! :devil: :D

Good morning Ian,
The sun is shining and I'm just waiting for the blooming dentist to pay me a visit. (Boy am I looking forward to it)

Regards
John

Ian - you have a PM :)

I am not very confident for this MOT. Main reasons i'm worried:

(1) Fuel leak from delivery valve seals - very slight - hoping it will still pass???!

(2) Headlamp cracked - hopefully will be ok as above!! (Cheers everyone)

(3) 1st old car i've run through an MOT for many years!!

EDIT - i've won one on ebay for £26 posted. Pretty good deal i think - its the whole light, not just the lense aswell..

Last edited:
car has passed the MOT :bannana:

no mention (or advisary) regarding the light lense.

Good stuff! Our Audi had the cracked lense for some time without any sign of water ingress ... the headlights (and most of the front of the car :D) had to come off for a cam belt change, so I had it replaced then.

I had an old Discovery with a hole in the n/s headlight. I drained the water/dried it out and araldited a piece of clear plastic from some packing over it. Never leaked and never picked up at MOT time!

Needless to say this made a loud bang and required work before the MOT (happened about a fortnight before the MOT was due...)

Attachments

• headlamphole.jpg
    headlamphole.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 39
car has passed the MOT :bannana:
Ah,a hearty congratulations.:rock:
no mention (or advisary) regarding the light lense.
So the question of "This big crack in the lens will not be a problem, then?" was left off, I'm guessing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom