Is a gearbox filter service worth it?

OneForTheRoad

MB Enthusiast
Car
2017 e350 c207 .. +65 ford kuga 2.0 cdi zetec awd..
I’m sure some people think changing the gearbox oil is just like changing the engine oil...open a sump plug, spin on a new filter and refill..,
Thats how I do it.

Eddy77

SUPPORTER
Car
2008 CLK 350 Sport Cab, 2019 Audi A6 Avant 40 TDi S-Line
I paid £275 at an Indy around four years ago. So £300 sounds right!

Pontoneer

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
'99 S320 W140
What do think is a fair price, given the parts alone are probably £150.
It depends on the car ; the filter kits can range from about £30 to £70 ish , and the cost for fluid , depending on model can be anything from about £20 or £30 for an older car to a couple of hundred for the latest models ( which also need the oil pumped in from below and measured at the correct temperature, versus with older cars you drain out the bottom , change the filter and sump gasket , then fill through the dipstick tube ( I normally put in slightly less than the recommended quantity, take the car for a run to get up to temperature, then top off referring to the dipstick ( it can be done cold since the handbook shows levels for hot and cold ) .

Pontoneer

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
'99 S320 W140
I said it sounded a lot to me (based on other posts where people seem to have paid £200-£220).
Now that you have kindly told me that the garage is likely to have to spend £150 trade on the parts I can see why it is £300. The guys on here that paid c£200 must have had a right bargain based on this.
Thanks for the info.
The cost varies from car to car ; W123/4 and the likes can use any Dexron III fluid which you can pick up a 5L bottle for £20 ; the fluids required for later cars can be a lot more but you can save by bulk buying . I always buy genuine MB filters , which come with the gasket , but you can get aftermarket filters which are cheaper - your car your choice . It isn’t a hard job to do , and I see no point paying others to do something I can do myself .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom