Is a gearbox filter service worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
On top of Justin's parts list above, a low range torque wrench and a pump to push the new fluid in are required. This adds to the cost for DIYers.

On top of Justin's parts list above, a low range torque wrench and a pump to push the new fluid in are required. This adds to the cost for DIYers.
Very true , when I did my 7g , I just used an oil transfer pump from eBay , about £7 ish , same type I use on the diff oil . A couple of plumbing parts to stop the oil running back , an adapter for the MB gearbox sump and it all worked a treat. Total cost £20 or less

I used a Lidl 12 volt electric pump which cost under €20.
Actually an adaptor to screw into the sump bolt hole to connect the pump is also required - only about £15 but it does all mount up.

The low range torque wrench is useful elsewhere (although I haven't used it since doing the oil change).

Very true , when I did my 7g , I just used an oil transfer pump from eBay , about £7 ish , same type I use on the diff oil . A couple of plumbing parts to stop the oil running back , an adapter for the MB gearbox sump and it all worked a treat. Total cost £20 or less
The 12 V Aldi /Lidl pump works fine, I made my own tap for re-filling with a few parts picked up from the local hardware store, see attachment. The actual treaded insert pipe can be bought online, plenty of suppliers Try google "MB 722.9 Transmission oil fill pipe.". You will find pipes, pumps and many other Transmission related parts there.

Attachments

• .MB  722.9 Transmission Filler Tool.jpg
    .MB 722.9 Transmission Filler Tool.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom