is a stone chip/1cm hole in indicator lense MOT fail?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SilverSaloon

MB Enthusiast
Car
1994 W124 E300D Estate, 1985 R107 280SL
Hi

i have a 1cm sized hole in my front indicator lense on my W124.

Will this fail the MOT?

if the answer is yes, if i seal the hole with some type of clear silicone, will it pass?

thanks

Derek

I don't believe so, as long as the indicator works...

My car has a round crack in the indicator (stone chip... luckily the round flap didn't fall off but remained slightly attached) - and it's been through 3 MOTs in that condition...

M>

Don`t know about the mot,but waht side is it?I`ve got a drivers side one that you can have

If it is showing white light through the hole then yes it's a fail,

If it is showing white light through the hole then yes it's a fail,

its a clear lense and has an orange glowing bulb in it, so should be ok on that score i think.

its a clear lense and has an orange glowing bulb in it, so should be ok on that score i think.

No problem then it's a pass, but the blob of silicone is a good idea to stop water getting in. Suspect from the above you'll be changing it anyway ;)

Car is in today. eek. spent an hour last night checking it over and patching the exhaust. there are now no leaks on the exhaust but lots of patches/foil tape. hopefully that wont be an issue for them.

fingers crossed.
fingers-crossed.jpg

Haha, Its passed!!! :bannana:

just shows what some lumpy "hard as steel" putty, some silver tape and a can of mushy peas can do when they try.

Did you end up replacing/patching the indicator or did it go in with the hole?

Going to change your forum name to Patch. :rock:

haha, i should do.

when i was under there patching the exhaust though i did notice some worrying rust on the underside of the floor and above where the exhaust boxes are etc. i may have to take a look at those at some point. Hopefully it just requires rubbing down and re-sealing.

i did put a blob of clear silicone sealant in the hole.

Good job you did, otherwise it could have failed on sharp edges... Strangely enough, if you'd have taken the plastic lens off altogether,and used an orange bulb, it would pass too, but half a lens would fail...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom