Is a w124 ECU "plug and play"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gt-83

Car
1992 300ce
As the title really, just need to know if a ke control unit (ecu) is plug and play or if it needs to be coded in any way, say for ignition, locks, etc to suit a specific car (1987 260e)

Don't they have a way of knowing what car they are in and being uncooperative if you want to swap them into another car........??

They are not "coded" in the way more modern units are. They are used solely for control of the injection system-- the ignition system being a separate unit. There are minor differences between units however, manual gearbox cars having a different part no to automatics for example and differences between 4 and 6 cylinder cars. Just how different these units are I don't know but best to get one from a similar car and the nearest age possible as the injection system evolved over the years.

Don't they have a way of knowing what car they are in and being uncooperative if you want to swap them into another car........??

Only the later efi cars ecu's are coded, the early ke-jetronic ecu's are not and can be swaped.

Thanks guys, thats the answer i was hoping for, as graeme knows ive had a spot of bother and i have a definite ecu fault, which i will replace as soon as one turns up (cheap),, ive just spent the night in the garage, took the plug out from the idle control valve (ecu fault) and put a bypass switch in the coolant temperature sender (which increases revs when disabled allowing me to simulate a cold start without an idle control valve!) i like playing:)

Thanks guys, thats the answer i was hoping for, as graeme knows ive had a spot of bother and i have a definite ecu fault, which i will replace as soon as one turns up (cheap),, ive just spent the night in the garage, took the plug out from the idle control valve (ecu fault) and put a bypass switch in the coolant temperature sender (which increases revs when disabled allowing me to simulate a cold start without an idle control valve!) i like playing:)

I wonder what would happen if you used a 3.0 ecu? Its the same m103 engine after all.

that did cross my mind, but the poor old girl has done 220000miles!

Depending on how much you like the car it may be cheaper to drop in a 3.0 engine and ecu, even if you find a 260 ecu, you wont know if it's ok till you fit it.

A donnor car would be a better option.

Depending on how much you like the car it may be cheaper to drop in a 3.0 engine and ecu, even if you find a 260 ecu, you wont know if it's ok till you fit it.

A donnor car would be a better option.

Its fine with the quick fix ive just done , bangernomics i guess, its what would happen to it if it were exported!.......when a ecu turns up i will fix it properly, just that i cant justify hundreds of pound on an ecu repair

Bangernomics! I love it. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom