is after sales warranty a con

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

666mcnally

Car
cl500,BMW525
my speed sensor and blower motor went on a cl500!It went in to a garrage last week and rang the warranty people they were great on the phone sent some one to look at the car. He said that the work needs to be done as these are comon faults in these cars and the garage gave a good price The garage got a fax today saying that the warranty would not fix it! because it was a comon fault on the car and MB should fix it. What do they want a car that does not break down the warranty is for a year @ a cost of £361 i cant remember there name as the book is in the car so has any one got a good warranty cover that works my car has 29000 miles on it and it was built in may 2000 i also wont be doing many miles THANKS

If the car is 7 years old, the insurers are just trying to fob you off with lame excuses in the hope you won't press them to pay up. In the last resort I'd write (and send by recorded delivery) a letter to tell the insurer you consider them in breach of their contract and unless they approve the repairs within 7days you will have the work done yourself and take them to court to recover the full cost of repairs etc. and enclose a quotation from the garage for the full cost of the work.

Provided, that is, youar clear that the policy covers you for this kind of component failure.

If the car is 7 years old, the insurers are just trying to fob you off with lame excuses in the hope you won't press them to pay up. In the last resort I'd write (and send by recorded delivery) a letter to tell the insurer you consider them in breach of their contract and unless they approve the repairs within 7days you will have the work done yourself and take them to court to recover the full cost of repairs etc. and enclose a quotation from the garage for the full cost of the work.

Provided, that is, youar clear that the policy covers you for this kind of component failure.

YES THATS WHAT THE GARAGE SAID he said they want you to get ****** off with them and just do the work hoping you will forget it as he said if they dont pay out on 20 cars a week thats 20 grand in there pocket the thing is that the man that they sent said they should fix it once its covered and it is ill let you know how i go tomorrow it must be my month for court as im taking CLIVE CHRISTIAN KITCHENS to court for very bad workmanship that i had to fix up

Push the warranty company on this, I'm sure they're trying it on just as you suspect. Complain to the warranty company, also get something written as a statement from the garage that looked at the car. I assume from what you said that the garage is not a Mercedes dealer?

By the way, you say you're taking Clive Christian Kitchens to court, is this 'The' Clive Chrisitian (http://www.clive.com). Never heared any complaints about them, quality of workmanship is supposed to be first class.

Push the warranty company on this, I'm sure they're trying it on just as you suspect. Complain to the warranty company, also get something written as a statement from the garage that looked at the car. I assume from what you said that the garage is not a Mercedes dealer?

By the way, you say you're taking Clive Christian Kitchens to court, is this 'The' Clive Chrisitian (http://www.clive.com). Never heared any complaints about them, quality of workmanship is supposed to be first class.

Yes thats them NIGHTMARE will fill you in when i win

At the time of the fault a MB dealer did not want to look at it saying to take it back to the garage were i bought it .I found this man with so many cars in his yard from new to old and new his stuff so well and his staff oh my god they could not do enough for me im off to work now so ill let you know tonight my fix to this

Last edited:
Money For Nothing

i got a phone call from who i bought the car from he was waiting for the rep to get back to him about this i told them to sort it out amongst them selfs as i was getting it fixed and they could sourt out the bill. I have gone through the warranty and yes they are covered so role on a court case why is it every one is out to take! they are saying that because these parts have broken on other cars before it is a comon fault so they wont cover how sick is that ! they only want to take your money if your car has no faults
HAS ANY ONE HAD THIS BEFORE ?

I've been through all this before. Try to remember, the guy you bought the car from should be kept on your side. He is selling cars & using Company A, to provide a warranty. If they are messing his customers about, he can go to Company B in future in order to keep his customers happy. If Company A reacts to all his warranty claims in this manner, he will soon lose all his sales. A concerted effort from both sides acting together, is better than all three of you arguing against each other.

Russ

I've been through all this before. Try to remember, the guy you bought the car from should be kept on your side. He is selling cars & using Company A, to provide a warranty. If they are messing his customers about, he can go to Company B in future in order to keep his customers happy. If Company A reacts to all his warranty claims in this manner, he will soon lose all his sales. A concerted effort from both sides acting together, is better than all three of you arguing against each other.

Russ

Oh yes i know that! He was hot happy to hear my problem as he has 2 garages i think if he pulled the plug on them they would take a big hit some one owed me some money for work in the end they lost a contract worth over 2 million because of my action its a small world we live in and its nice to be nice

I'm not sure about the legalities here. But if the dealer sold you the car with a warranty - isnt your contract with the dealer and he has "reassured" the risk with a 3rd party warranty company. Or did he sell you the warranty as an "add on". In which case he is an agent and is acting as such. But rf065 is giving good advice.

I'm not sure about the legalities here. But if the dealer sold you the car with a warranty - isnt your contract with the dealer and he has "reassured" the risk with a 3rd party warranty company. Or did he sell you the warranty as an "add on". In which case he is an agent and is acting as such. But rf065 is giving good advice.

The dealer said that the warranty company would sourt it all out for me so i said fine. So now they have not so its back to the dealer so i think i should have took it back to the dealer in the first place i thought i was doing the right thing

The car had a 3 mounth warranty when i bought it i asked for 12

Last edited:

...some one owed me some money for work in the end they lost a contract worth over 2 million because of my action its a small world we live in and its nice to be nice

So true, my sentiments exactly. I wish more people shared this philosophy - I am straight forward to deal with, if I get messed around I never deal with the organisation again and make sure no one else I know does either. Naturally mistakes happen but the art is the way in which they are dealt with.

The fact that something is a 'common' fault shouldn't prevent the warranty company from resolving the issue. The only other advice I can offer is check the warranty claims process very carefully and follow it to the letter.

Most of them require you to phone them for authorisation before conducting work. Always make sure you get corepsondence in writing. I always find sending a Fax marked 'Copy of letter sent by Registered Mail dated xx/xxxx works very well. Quite often the closing line of the letter requests confirmation or written reponse within 5 or 7 working days depending upon the issue. Ensure you send the copy by registered post.

Agree with the advice above, many of these warranty companies have 'authorised repairers' use the supplying dealer or authorising repairer to handle the claim. It IS in their interest to get it resolved, many garages / repairers know exactly how to use the system.

Good luck.

So true, my sentiments exactly. I wish more people shared this philosophy - I am straight forward to deal with, if I get messed around I never deal with the organisation again and make sure no one else I know does either. Naturally mistakes happen but the art is the way in which they are dealt with.

The fact that something is a 'common' fault shouldn't prevent the warranty company from resolving the issue. The only other advice I can offer is check the warranty claims process very carefully and follow it to the letter.

Most of them require you to phone them for authorisation before conducting work. Always make sure you get corepsondence in writing. I always find sending a Fax marked 'Copy of letter sent by Registered Mail dated xx/xxxx works very well. Quite often the closing line of the letter requests confirmation or written reponse within 5 or 7 working days depending upon the issue. Ensure you send the copy by registered post.

Agree with the advice above, many of these warranty companies have 'authorised repairers' use the supplying dealer or authorising repairer to handle the claim. It IS in their interest to get it resolved, many garages / repairers know exactly how to use the system.

Good luck.

I have told them to start work on the car and the dealer can sort it out him self its not going to be a big bill but we are hear to help and learn so my help is to tell people bring the car back to were you bought it and let them sort it out my problem was the car is 150 miles from were i bought it and to bring it back and pick it up would take 2 days of my time and i dont have that time i was lucky that i did not sell the BMW

...my problem was the car is 150 miles from were i bought it and to bring it back and pick it up would take 2 days of my time and i dont have that time i was lucky that i did not sell the BMW

Ahh, that makes more sense now, glad it won't cost too much - hope it's not too much hassle to sort out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom