Is anyone on here into Vinyl?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Only recently sold my Thorens TD125 with SME3009 and Shure V15
Am beginning to regret it.. Miss the theatre and ritual of playing an LP

Glad to help...........just dip your toe back in the water & then when you're hooked again get something better although personally I can't tell the difference.

Reactions: 219
I enjoy the process of listening to records, my record player isn’t great quality but it still sounds good. Recently I’ve been listening to a lot of master recordings of albums through Tidal. I use my iPhone with a Soundkeys DAC and Sennheiser HD 599 open back headphones. It’s like rediscovering music again!

I’ve got a few of the Missus’s old vinyl records in the loft along with her old record player. Ive also got some older Bakelite type records I was given by an American friend when he went back Stateside.
I’ve even got my Sony separates system with Tannoy Oxford speakers, I just can’t seem to part with them even though they haven’t been used in decades.
Can’t understand why the missus calls me a hoarder. LoL

I have some vinyl, a pimped up Pro-ject carbon, musical fidelity integrated amp, blusoumd streamer, audiolab CD player b&w speakers, most of which I blagged nearly new or ex demo so saved a bomb. It’s fun to play a cd the the vinyl version back to back to see which sounds better. Cd’s from say 10 years back sound soooooi much better than the rubbish made today and deffo clearer than they vinyl but without the “warmth”, they’re a bit clinical sometimes. I mainly stream stuff at hifi res from Tidal as my little boy takes far too much interest in the TT and has scratched my Dire Straits live album which severely cheesed me off lol.
I do love those 70/80’s amps with the vu meters, they’re so cool. I’d quite happily collect a load of them if I had some spare unwanted cash, along with some kind of fancy expensive TT like a gyro deck or similar as they are fascinating to watch and listen to at the same time.
I should have got an LP12 5 years ago when they were about £500, now ££££££ secondhand and as for new, sod that. They sound flipping amazing through the right kit though I must say.
I lust after a Luxman amp though, really badly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone remember those 7" Flexi discs that some music magazines put on the cover?

I know I have couple of those "waaffeur thin" things in the singles boxes in the attic

Anyone remember those 7" Flexi discs that some music magazines put on the cover?

I know I have couple of those "waaffeur thin" things in the singles boxes in the attic
My first turntable was a Transcrptor Saturn, no platten just seven raised pads to support the record. Obviously didn't work with those freebies!

Reactions: 219
For me , records have never gone away .

Started off in the 70s with a Pioneer PL12D Mk1 , with Shure M75EDII , Sony amplifier and KEFKIT3s .

Upgraded to Transcriptor Hydraulic Reference , first with Fluid Arm then SME III , and various cartridges, moved on to Quad 33/405 and built my own transmission line speakers . Had that kit a long time until I got into AV .

Lost my way somewhat with Sony TA-E1000ESD preamp , SDPEP9ES AC-3 processor , 5x TA-N55ES power amps , IMF TLS80 front speakers , my own centre speaker and B&W DM2A rear speakers , Sony MDP850 Laserdisc player , DVP-S 7700 DVD player and lots of other stuff , oh and Sony VPH1271QM projector .

Eventually tired of it all ; now have Michell Gyrodec with QC power supply , Rega RB700 arm , ATOC9 cartridge , QUAD 77 preamp/tuner/CD , 707 power amp and ESL63 Electrostatics . Also still have a couple of Revox tape decks ( A77 & B77HS ) , Sony TC-KA6ES cassette deck , and that’s about it .

While I do listen to CDs for background music , when I actually want to sit down and enjoy some music , it is almost always records that I play . There is just something that other media don’t convey.

Oh , I also listen a lot to BBC radio on FM , so much better quality than DAB rubbish . Oh and if not on my hifi system , I still listen to radio a lot on my fabulous Grundig Satellit 6001 portable radio .

Last edited:
Still got my collection of vinyl records dating back to 1963:eek: although I haven't bought any more since CDs became more popular in the late 90's.
Stupidly gave all my singles from 1960 > to my brother who dumped them in a skip:wallbash:
Got a few albums that are probably worth a few quid although the equipment used to play them back them was rubbish.
Had a Thorens deck, Technics amp and tuner with B&W speakers that was the dogs danglies. Sold it all. What a mug!
I still regularly buy new records : modern 180g vinyl pressings are streets ahead of what was available before , but so are the prices !

I've got a Sony Deck running into my computer, enable me to put my collection onto the computer and listen to the vinyl as it is being recorded. Gave up with amps and things when my last set of valves blew :D
I still have an old valve amp somewhere that I built years ago - 4x GE6550 ( KT88 ) beam pentodes running class AB1 ultralinear , outputting 50w/ch , lovely mellow sound , and looked wonderful in a darkened room , but my QUAD transistor kit is simpler to live with .

Ive also got some older Bakelite type records I was given by an American friend when he went back Stateside.
Two suggestions if they're 78's: 1) Treat them with extreme care, and 2) Check what they are as they could be very valuable.

True story: My ex-wife and her cousins when they were small children in the early 1960's were given a stack of old 78's to play with. Predictably, they were all broken in fairly short order. What no-one knew back then was that the selection of discs contained virtually every Elvis Presley single that had been pressed as a 78. These are now worth many hundreds of pounds each, and in some cases tens of thousands of pounds :doh:

I have kept all my old vinyl singles and LP's, I still have the first single I bought in 1971. Unfortunately my turntable is now residing in the attic.

I still have my Linn LP12 and well over 1,000 albums, but I very rarely play them these days. I much prefer the sheer convenience of playing from a laptop using software like JRiver Media Centre, or streaming from Tidal. I have reasonable quality DAC / amplifier / speakers and it all sounds fine to me. It may not be the last word in Hi-Fi, but for me it is 'Satis-Fi'.

There is a difference listening to older albums though, as I think much more care was taken when they were mastered. Modern stuff follows the trend of 'start loud/stay loud/end loud'. It is interesting to import modern recordings into something like 'Audacity' and look at the waveform - almost without exception, the volume is at maximum level pretty well throughout the recording.

Two suggestions if they're 78's: 1) Treat them with extreme care, and 2) Check what they are as they could be very valuable.

True story: My ex-wife and her cousins when they were small children in the early 1960's were given a stack of old 78's to play with. Predictably, they were all broken in fairly short order. What no-one knew back then was that the selection of discs contained virtually every Elvis Presley single that had been pressed as a 78. These are now worth many hundreds of pounds each, and in some cases tens of thousands of pounds :doh:

Ouch ! But I think in my case they may not be worth much, mostly unknown American singers having said that I must check for ones with the Presley name ! I must look them out sometime.

It is interesting to import modern recordings into something like 'Audacity' and look at the waveform - almost without exception, the volume is at maximum level pretty well throughout the recording.
My gut feel is that many listeners today are not used to high dynamic range music production, and therefore think it a bit of an oddity. This started in the 1970’s and became more prevalent in the 1980’s when commercial radio stations started using high levels of compression so that they could keep the perceived volume for the listener as high as possible, thus making their station stand out when people scanned the frequency dial.

Once people became used to highly compressed recordings, anything uncompressed sounded (to them) less interesting. The producers responded by producing only compressed recordings because that’s what sold.

I would also guess that most music “listening” now happens in a high(er) ambient noise situation such as in a car or on a train, where it’s difficult to hear quieter passages, so that reinforces the desire to listen to compressed recordings even further.

My gut feel is that many listeners today are not used to high dynamic range music production, and therefore think it a bit of an oddity. This started in the 1970’s and became more prevalent in the 1980’s when commercial radio stations started using high levels of compression so that they could keep the perceived volume for the listener as high as possible, thus making their station stand out when people scanned the frequency dial.

Once people became used to highly compressed recordings, anything uncompressed sounded (to them) less interesting. The producers responded by producing only compressed recordings because that’s what sold.

I would also guess that most music “listening” now happens in a high(er) ambient noise situation such as in a car or on a train, where it’s difficult to hear quieter passages, so that reinforces the desire to listen to compressed recordings even further.

Agreed - and yet with today's recording technologies, the available dynamic range is far beyond what a recording engineer / producer could have imagined when the LP ruled the roost.

Ah, young 'uns today, they don't know what they're missing :)

It can be interesting to have look at the run-out grooves of your vinyl.

Most Stranglers albums have a reference to Porky, the producer, etched on there. Another Porky prime cut is popular, I understand that there are others, what can you find?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom