Is back in the shed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

st4

Banned
Car
C220cdi tourer
After three weeks of it being away at a "Mercedes approved repairer" I have her back.

I was provided with a Peugeot 207 loan car. It was adequate as an A to B device and although hateful, got me to and from work. It was noisy and uncomfortable but strangely for a small cheap car, had excellent seats.

My insurance co has stated its intention to pursue the other driver who hit me to recover their costs (approx £3000) and my excess (£600).

The car was repaired by Mitchels Inglis Glasgow. I would have liked to have used another place for the painting, but the suspension damage etc meant it needed to go there.

The job is a reasonably good one, not as good as the repairs I commissioned for the other side of the car, but good enough for me but you can see one side is a more bright silver than the other but such is life. I intend to keep the car and it will be worth sod all when I am done with it. Actually its worth sod all now, but I love the car.

After having the Pug for 3 weeks, and a brief spell of Seans CLS55amg I forgot just how good my car was. I got into the shed, got comfortable and it felt like I was reaquinted with an old friend. The refinement, quality of ride, comfort of seats, logically nature of controls. I took all this for granted and after a wee spell in that Pug I just realised what a fantastic car the shed is....

....and the gearbox?

It was cold....

I clean forgot about the 1 into 2 jolt, and I got the fright of my life. Its still reassuringly **** at changing from 1 into 2. Strangely the rest of the changes are smooth and good and I took it for a warm up and felt 369ft/lb of torque fling me of into the horizon.

Back in the shed, it feels good.

I wish you would stop calling your car The Shed. It clearly deserves more respect:). And please stop headbutting it at slow speeds - somebody should report you for abuse.
You'll miss her when she's gone...!!

You can't have mine if you're going to denigrate it with a bad nickname :eek:.

I wish you would stop calling your car The Shed. It clearly deserves more respect:). And please stop headbutting it at slow speeds - somebody should report you for abuse.
You'll miss her when she's gone...!!

Someone actually complimented the shed today....

I was giving her a little feed of diesel. She was hungry. Filled her up, went to pay and the man on the petrol till was like "nice car is it new". I explained she was a 75k miler coming up for 6yo. He didn't believe it until I explained its got competely new paint and the oldest visible paint on it is under 2yo and about half is 1 month old....he was more shocked when I said it was less than the price of a new Ford Focus. 4yr old Mercedes or a new Ford Focus and fuel/insurance wise, there isn't a huge jump in price to the MB.

The 1 into 2 change is clearly something I have to live with. Its a cold weather thing, I've had the ATF changed and it still does it. I suspect its when its cold the fluid is too viscous. Never happens in the warm weather.

The issue I have is I feel I am the pinnacle of my automotive career. No car I can think of can do so much of what this car can do well. Cost wise, the Pug 207 is about the same in fuel as my car. Really, its as efficient as a petrol supermini given my driving habits and routes. Its plenty fast, the engine etc proven and reliable, the car very nice etc to drive (it really does drive so nicely, ride steering etc are top notch).

What do I replace this car when it finally dies? One of those C class estates like yours is vastly tempting but it may not ride so comfortably. I was not enamoured with the 212s seats in the sport and coudln't get comfortable. The new 350cdi's are hampered with all the BE tech which means they don't take off quickly, and expensive DPF's although they really flie once they are under way.

You may be right, I will look back on this car in future years as probably the best car I've ever had.

You can't have mine if you're going to denigrate it with a bad nickname
eek.gif

You're car (a top candidate for a replacement) already has its knickname, but I shall not reveal it unless I own it.

Last edited:
I call mine the 'bus' that's not too bad? and it is an Estate?

Also when we go anywhere and all jump in I always say to the little ones in the back 'all aboard who's going aboard ching ching'

What do I replace this car when it finally dies?

You have just answered your own question if you look close enough.

A Pug 207 schlep'r for the daily grind
A E500 / E55 for the pleasure

The interior on these cars is, to me, without equal. They are a mixture of the W220 & W203, taking the best bits from both. It's competitors aren't anywhere near as good or pleasing on the eye.

I think in a year or two when I get a W212, I'll miss the W211.

Like Joni Mitchell said; You don't know what you've got till it's gone....

You have just answered your own question if you look close enough.

A Pug 207 schlep'r for the daily grind
A E500 / E55 for the pleasure

The pug is a tad too uncomfortable for the 60mile round trip, bareable but the drive to work in the Mercedes is something I enjoy and look forward to every day. I also think how safe the E is worst case, a 207 just won't protect worse case. I'd want a Golf sized car minimum as a run around. The E is a brilliant commuter, hushed, frugal (39mpg in a mix of traffic), fun when things clear, safe, cracking stereo to listen to smooth.

I detest the train with a passion, I simply will not take that unless the weather is so adverse that driving becomes a risk to my safety and well being. Someone suggested I buy an iPad and take the train, I couldn't hack the train day in day out.

There is a job I applied for, not heard back, if I got it I could be in the position to run a car like that, but I've spent a lot getting this car of mine A1 so it would be nice to enjoy it for a while and get more happy memories behind the wheel of it.

Last edited:
Keep it for the daily run and get a weekend toy then :)

Mines "Teh Barge" or LANBus if I am on my way to one of my "computer conventions".

Sadly, some friends have nicknamed my black S211 as "The Hearse"!!

Drove it yesterday for the first time in 2 months (after charging the battery, as is normal with this car after a long break!) and realised how nice it is to drive. Still has a feel good factor, so I took it for a full valet and I have to say, it looks splendid, even if a bit hearse-like! :D

Glad you've got her back - I'm expecting to read of your days out for the next 100 years.

I was provided with a Peugeot 207 loan car. It was noisy and uncomfortable but strangely for a small cheap car, had excellent seats.
I've hired one of those and know exactly what you mean.

The issue I have is I feel I am the pinnacle of my automotive career. No car I can think of can do so much of what this car can do well.
S320 W221?

CLS 320cdi Steve, you know you want to.. :D

^ thing is thats almost a side ways move?

Will do no more than the 'Shed' only much less room for anyone he has as a passenger in the back.

I literally had to sit sideways in the back of one (I'm 6ft 2)

Now keeping the 'shed' as the hack for ever.... and having a CLS55 for weekend and fun days.... But then if that were me and I didn't need a 4 seater I would rather have a SLK55 or SL55 for weekends.

:)

^ I rest.... My case :)

SSL24182.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom