Is beach volleyball a genuine Olympic sport?

Palfrem

MB Enthusiast
Car
W124 E36 AMG, G 300 GEL his, SLK 200 hers
Having seen a mention of this in a particular thread, I was just wondering what the panel's opinion is of this as an "Olympic sport" in its purest sense.

...and can anyone suggest a technical reason as to why the participants "kit" needs to be so brief?

We don't see the female shot putters or discuss throwers in such attire do we?

Nik_Endeavour

Car
Mercedes-less at the moment
We don't see the female shot putters or discuss throwers in such attire do we?

Now why would you want to see that. Women volleyball players have the nicest backsides. I know I used to date one :rock:

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
G350, Duster, S320, 900ss and a few more
What constitutes an olympic sport is based on the number of people following the sport, thus willing to watch it, thus able to "pay" for the advertising...

So... very pretty women in skimpy clothing? Lot's of viewers...

Just you wait... if the pole dancing community can get their act together, and get a national organisation and enough followers, that'll be an olypic sport soon ;)

M.

Nik_Endeavour

Car
Mercedes-less at the moment
What constitutes an olympic sport is based on the number of people following the sport, thus willing to watch it, thus able to "pay" for the advertising...

Just you wait... if the pole dancing community can get their act together, and get a national organisation and enough followers, that'll be an olypic sport soon ;)

M.

Where do I sign the petition?

312 Sprinter

M.

Maybe we should introduce Olympic looting to the 2012 games, lots of people are taking part, lots are watching it on the telly and it neatly silences the critics wittering that London is unsafe by making it an integral part of the whole event. We may need to crack down hard on the dress code though. :eek:

whitenemesis

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
Lexus RC300h F-Sport 2019
"Citius, Altius, Fortius."

IMHO only those disciplines that can demonstrate the above in an objective way should be included in the Olympics.

Any others should and already do, have their own World Championships.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Maybe we should introduce Olympic looting to the 2012 games, lots of people are taking part, lots are watching it on the telly and it neatly silences the critics wittering that London is unsafe by making it an integral part of the whole event. We may need to crack down hard on the dress code though. :eek:

This is a fine suggestion. Could I suggest that you tweek your idea slightly.

So you have the shooters positioned in a line and the looters have to grab as many telly's as possible before getting shot in the testicles (5 points) or the head (10 points). Extra team points could be gained by deliberately wounding a looter so that he/she is incapacitated enough for other teams to have a bonus pot shot.

I think that this could be a real money spinner and attract huge audiences.

RobMorris

Car
W210 E300 TD
I used to play volleyball for a club - id say its a 'proper' sport so why not in the Olympics.

developer

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Volvo V90 D5 AWD
Near naked athletic nubile females in f***y hugging skimpy gear jumping up and down...:eek:.

Sorry, what was the question? :D

carat 3.6

MB Enthusiast
Car
S124 E300d wagon, W124 om606 monster, E46 v8 coupe
Mocas, we didnt want to here that! :D

MOCAŠ

MB Enthusiast
Car
SLK
Volleyball I can understand, but why specifically beach volleyball? Seems somewhat gratuitous to me.

That's not to say I won't be watching... :eek:

LTD

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Yep, one of THOSE !!!
Volleyball I can understand, but why specifically beach volleyball?

Cycling has different terrains in the Olympics - all recognised as different disciplines. Should they limit it to tarmac ?

Beach vollyball and regular volleyball demand different techniques and the team sizes are different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom