Is beach volleyball a genuine Olympic sport?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Palfrem

MB Enthusiast
Car
W124 E36 AMG, G 300 GEL his, SLK 200 hers
Having seen a mention of this in a particular thread, I was just wondering what the panel's opinion is of this as an "Olympic sport" in its purest sense.

...and can anyone suggest a technical reason as to why the participants "kit" needs to be so brief?

We don't see the female shot putters or discuss throwers in such attire do we?

We don't see the female shot putters or discuss throwers in such attire do we?

Now why would you want to see that. Women volleyball players have the nicest backsides. I know I used to date one :rock:

What constitutes an olympic sport is based on the number of people following the sport, thus willing to watch it, thus able to "pay" for the advertising...

So... very pretty women in skimpy clothing? Lot's of viewers...

Just you wait... if the pole dancing community can get their act together, and get a national organisation and enough followers, that'll be an olypic sport soon ;)

M.

What constitutes an olympic sport is based on the number of people following the sport, thus willing to watch it, thus able to "pay" for the advertising...

Just you wait... if the pole dancing community can get their act together, and get a national organisation and enough followers, that'll be an olypic sport soon ;)

M.

Where do I sign the petition?

M.

Maybe we should introduce Olympic looting to the 2012 games, lots of people are taking part, lots are watching it on the telly and it neatly silences the critics wittering that London is unsafe by making it an integral part of the whole event. We may need to crack down hard on the dress code though. :eek:

"Citius, Altius, Fortius."

IMHO only those disciplines that can demonstrate the above in an objective way should be included in the Olympics.

Any others should and already do, have their own World Championships.

Maybe we should introduce Olympic looting to the 2012 games, lots of people are taking part, lots are watching it on the telly and it neatly silences the critics wittering that London is unsafe by making it an integral part of the whole event. We may need to crack down hard on the dress code though. :eek:

This is a fine suggestion. Could I suggest that you tweek your idea slightly.

So you have the shooters positioned in a line and the looters have to grab as many telly's as possible before getting shot in the testicles (5 points) or the head (10 points). Extra team points could be gained by deliberately wounding a looter so that he/she is incapacitated enough for other teams to have a bonus pot shot.

I think that this could be a real money spinner and attract huge audiences.

I used to play volleyball for a club - id say its a 'proper' sport so why not in the Olympics.

Near naked athletic nubile females in f***y hugging skimpy gear jumping up and down...:eek:.

Sorry, what was the question? :D

Mocas, we didnt want to here that! :D

Why should it not be an Olympic sport ?

Volleyball I can understand, but why specifically beach volleyball? Seems somewhat gratuitous to me.

That's not to say I won't be watching... :eek:

Volleyball I can understand, but why specifically beach volleyball?

Cycling has different terrains in the Olympics - all recognised as different disciplines. Should they limit it to tarmac ?

Beach vollyball and regular volleyball demand different techniques and the team sizes are different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom