Is c160 ok ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mbzoo

Seen a 2005 c160 auto 75k miles 12 months MOT no advisories. Owner says no rust and no issues

He is asking £1800

I will only do about 4k miles a year and sharing it with my daughter who will use it as a special needs carer so needs to be reliable

Not worried about MPG really and insurance is fine.

The advert does say 1.8l but I think its a 1.6 isn't it ?

cheers

Seen a 2005 c160 auto 75k miles 12 months MOT no advisories. Owner says no rust and no issues

He is asking £1800

I will only do about 4k miles a year and sharing it with my daughter who will use it as a special needs carer so needs to be reliable

Not worried about MPG really and insurance is fine.

The advert does say 1.8l but I think its a 1.6 isn't it ?

cheers
1.8 271 engine. Be aware of timing chain problems and listen for noise on cold startup especially at that mileage. If you arrange a time to go and see it, go early as, if the owner has it warmed up, cam-chain noise might not be very obvious.

Ernie

That, or avoid the M271 altogether....

Just when I thought I'd found a good one !.. Damn

I won't be able to see it..just trusting the history and the private seller's word but what engines in the C160/C180 should I be looking for or avoid ?

cheers

At the 2k price level it is a real minefield; you might find a gem, more likely you will need to spend another 1k fixing problems. If you really want a reliable car for £2k then I would suggest that you need to be looking at a petrol Toyota or Honda.

Just when I thought I'd found a good one !.. Damn

I won't be able to see it..just trusting the history and the private seller's word but what engines in the C160/C180 should I be looking for or avoid ?

cheers

I suggest that you avoid any 4-cyl petrol C-Class made between 2003 and 2012.

Earlier cars will have the M111 engine, later cars will have the M274, both of which are fine.

A 6-cyl petrol C-Class of any age will also be fine, but these are rarer, more expensive, and less economic.

At the 2k price level it is a real minefield; you might find a gem, more likely you will need to spend another 1k fixing problems. If you really want a reliable car for £2k then I would suggest that you need to be looking at a petrol Toyota or Honda.

Exactly my thoughts. Japanese reliability v M271 engined C class. No contest.
I'd be looking at Kia Rio's too. really reliable if uninspiring cars.

Exactly my thoughts. Japanese reliability v M271 engined C class. No contest.
I'd be looking at Kia Rio's too. really reliable if uninspiring cars.

I had a Kia Soul (Diesel) for 5 years - zero problems.

As you say, uninspiring, and I would also add unrefined, but tough as nails.

And I've just SORNed a 52-reg Honda Jazz - again, zero problems (the car is simply surplus to requirements at current, and probably has little or no resell value).

I know everyone is slagging off or should I say warning me about an older merc..

so is this such a bad idea ?

C180

I know everyone is slagging off or should I say warning me about an older merc..

so is this such a bad idea ?

C180

Read the first line of post #6...

It's your call whether you want to take a punt on it at the end of the day.

You may well be fine but then again, you may not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom