Is C205 200 petrol underpowered?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Biza

Car
Mercedes C200 coupe
Hello,

I got a C Coupe 200 4matic on order, to be built in july and delivered in august, so I can still make some changes to the order.

My main concern is that the 200 petrol engine is underpowered... now I have a Mini Cooper S F56 (2015 model) 192 bhp.

Can anybody tell if I will feel a big, I mean BIG, difference between these two engines? I'm not expecting it to be as fast as the Mini but i also hope it will be just a slight power loss... I m from Romania and I need the 4matic here (winter, rain, stability) and the next petrol engine I can order with 4 matic is a C400 which is too much power and also 10.000 eur more expensive.

I don t care for the diesel engines as I drive around 7000 miles/year, 90% city drives.

In conclusion, is the 200 petrol engine ok for a normal/sporty when you need it/ fun drive?

Thanks

Last edited:
I think it's fine. Not underpowered but not fast.

Go and test drive one.

I think you'll feel a big difference between the Mini and the C205 Coupe, which will feel like a boat in comparison. Though the 2.0L turbocharged petrol engine in the C205 kicks out 184 PS compared to 192 in the Mini and the C205 is bigger and heavier. I haven't looked up 0-100km/h for each, but I'm guessing the C205 is high 7s and the Mini is low 6s maybe high 5s. Will probably need to use more of the rev range to get the C200 moving along briskly.

Having got that out of the way, the C205 Coupe is the nicer car, the cabin is superb, the car looks stunning and the ride quality will be better than the Mini.

I think it's fine. Not underpowered but not fast.

Go and test drive one.

Unfortunately I can't test drive a petrol one as the dealer only has diesel models for test drive :( I'm in Romania so they bring one car for test drive and that s it :( I did a test on a 220d they had and at it was underpowered for my taste. I guess the C200 petrol is close to it performance wise.

I got used to the Mini's power in the last couple of years but now I need a new car and the C coupe is the only car on the market in the 40.000 eur range that I like. In fact, at least here, the price was 46.600 euro with a 11% discount (53.260 MSRP) on the car I ordered (it has amg pack, burmeister, panoramic sunroof etc) but it's more expensive here than in the UK as I see online. To go 10.000 more for a C400 4matic seems a little crazy :) I guess I'm attracted to cars that have some sort of retro feel like the C Coupe or the Mini have.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I can't test drive a petrol one as the dealer only has diesel models for test drive :( I'm in Romania so they bring one car for test drive and that s it :( I did a test on a 220d they had and at it was underpowered for my taste. I guess the C200 petrol is close to it performance wise.

I got used to the Mini's power in the last couple of years but now I need a new car and the C coupe is the only car on the market in the 40.000 eur range that I like. In fact, at least here, the price was 46.600 euro with a 11% discount (53.260 MSRP) on the car I ordered (it has amg pack, burmeister, panoramic sunroof etc) but it's more expensive here than in the UK as I see online. To go 10.000 more for a C400 4matic seems a little crazy :) I guess I'm attracted to cars that have some sort of retro feel like the C Coupe or the Mini have.

If the 220 is too slow for you then the 200 will be , the 200 is only about 0.2 seconds faster to 100 kph/60 mph .Even if the Mini was slower the Mercedes would still feel slower due to its size ,suspension ect.
I would get another Mini if the performance and handling are really important to you,a Mercedes is a totally different beast .
I've got a C200 and compared to the Focus ST I had before its slower but I didn't expect anything different.:dk:

I think the 4 wheel drive C200 could be faster off the line due to better traction, so in practical terms may match the Mini

As for will it feel a big difference, I think you might feel a big difference. The Mercedes masking the speed with refinement and size, the Mini will probably 'FEEL' more agile and faster.

Two 'hot hatches' of the 1990's, renault GT Turbo and a Peugeot 205 1.9 GTi are slightly slower than the C200 0-100km but FEEL way faster and shove you back in your seat under hard acceleration.

The Mini only has 6 gears I believe compared to the 9 gears of the Mercedes which can amplify it's muscle. I only have 7 gears in mine.

As for will it feel a big difference, I think you might feel a big difference. The Mercedes masking the speed with refinement and size, the Mini will probably 'FEEL' more agile

I just hope the Mercedes will not be "slow", i don't expect it to be AMG fast, not even Mini Cooper S fast :) I realise I can't compare these two cars as they are completely different.

The dealer tells me the 200 engine will be great and I won t fell like I need something with more power but the dealer also tried to convince me to get the saddle brown interior that I got with "red seatbelts" just so he can check another box of optional extras in my order, I think :)) Obviously I didn't go for red seatbelts with brown seats but now I don t really belive what the dealer tells me because his taste seems to be from another planet.

I still have time to change the order for a 250d 4matic but I don't think it's such a smart choice to go for a diesel with only 7000 miles/ year..

It's sad that in Europe you can t get the C300 with 4matic as in the US. I would have ordered a C300 4matic without any doubt.

Hi,
I drive a 557hp ML63 in Abu Dhabi and last year I visited UK and the hire company gave me a C200 petrol saloon.
I was actually very impressed with the C200 and did not find it underpowered at all.
Being a turbo petrol - I am sure there are companies doing remaps for this engine, if you eventually get tired of the performance.
Cheers
Steve

Hi,
I drive a 557hp ML63 in Abu Dhabi and last year I visited UK and the hire company gave me a C200 petrol saloon.
I was actually very impressed with the C200 and did not find it underpowered at all.

Thanks! Real live impressions like yours is what matters, and what i'm interested in.

I'm starting to belive that all this online reading, reviews and youtube videos about AMG, M4 or engines with hundreds of bhp is not doing good for the average consumer as one, like myself, may belive that an engine like this 200 will not be proper for this car. When I configured and ordered the car two weeks ago I had 0 doubts about it but the more I started to read the bigger engine I wanted :)

I had a C180 petrol W204 and I found it perfectly capable. It never felt slow imho.

But saying that, I now drive a C250d ands it's so much more fun! I do even fewer miles than you a year, probably around 5-6k, but I got a huge discount off the car, so I didn't pay more for the Diesel engine.

I had a C180 petrol W204 and I found it perfectly capable. It never felt slow imho.

But saying that, I now drive a C250d ands it's so much more fun! I do even fewer miles than you a year, probably around 5-6k, but I got a huge discount off the car, so I didn't pay more for the Diesel engine.

Although I'm from Romania I entered the car details on Carwow to see for my personal information the prices in the UK... You get some really really good deals there from Mercedes dealers..
Here my C 200 4matic Coupe, AMG line, Burmeister, Panoramic, Camera, Artico Leather, Artico dash, Selenite Grey metallic and 2-3 other minor extras was the equivalent of 40.650 GBP... If I was to live there I would have got the same car, same specs, at 35-36.000 GBP so it's a huge profit the dealer here makes on one car only. Not to say VAT here is 19% and in UK I think you have 20% and the prices above include VAT.

I still have time to change the order for a 250d 4matic but I don't think it's such a smart choice to go for a diesel with only 7000 miles/ year..

It's not the number of miles so much as how those miles are done.

If you do lots of short journeys, this will be bad.

If you do a lot less longer journeys, this will be fine.

I do 6000 miles a year in my car, but I do 13 miles each way and it takes around 35/40 minutes, so a diesel would be fine...

...except I hate them and prefer a V8 petrol - but that's a different matter entirely... :D

Is the 250 petrol engine an option?

The Mrs has it in her SLK and it is quite pokey.

^ 250 petrol not available on C Class, at least not in UK Anyhow's.

Is the 250 petrol engine an option?

The Mrs has it in her SLK and it is quite pokey.

Yes, I can order a 250 petrol here in Romania but without 4matic. I think I need the 4matic capabilities more in the winter months here.. It's not crazy winter but it snows/ rains 3-4 months a year. I never had a rear wheel drive car so I don't know how it handles in winter but i don t wanna take the risk to not drive anytime I need it.

Pricing wise, here the 250 has the same base price as the 200 4matic.

I have a C200 cab. The power is more than adequate for me and I havent even workes the engine as I am still in the brealing in period. My last car was an E200 which I believe is heavier than the C cab and ot moved like stink (to me). It would anyway cause my car before getting into Mercs was a 134bhp Peugeot 307 which I also thought was quick.

Yes, I can order a 250 petrol here in Romania but without 4matic. I think I need the 4matic capabilities more in the winter months here.. It's not crazy winter but it snows/ rains 3-4 months a year. I never had a rear wheel drive car so I don't know how it handles in winter but i don t wanna take the risk to not drive anytime I need it.

Pricing wise, here the 250 has the same base price as the 200 4matic.

You are doing the right thing. Rear wheel Mercs are useless in the snow. When it snows here in the UK, I effectively become car-less. I once tried to drive my W212 in a light dusting of snow and a kerb which halted my slide was the only thing that saved me from a big repair bill

EClassy said:
You are doing the right thing. Rear wheel Mercs are useless in the snow. When it snows here in the UK, I effectively become car-less. I once tried to drive my W212 in a light dusting of snow and a kerb which halted my slide was the only thing that saved me from a big repair bill
But strangely the Scandinavians hardly ever use 4x4. They use winter tyres. Maybe your driving techniques need a brush up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom