Is electric contact cleaner ok to clean MAF?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PJayUK

Car
ML320 W163, E320 W210 & Jaguar X300-XJR6
Got a bit of spare time, want to give me MAF sensor a quick clean to see if it makes any difference to performance etc. I have a shiny new can of electronic contact cleaner from Hellfords, is it ok to give things a right good blast with this?

Or should I go and buy some Isopropyl Alcohol spray?

Some switch contact cleaners can have a lubricant in them so check the ingredients with care. If the car is running/idling fine I would give it a miss to be honest.

Got a bit of spare time, want to give me MAF sensor a quick clean to see if it makes any difference to performance etc. I have a shiny new can of electronic contact cleaner from Hellfords, is it ok to give things a right good blast with this?

As far as I know it is better left alone. The only treatment I have heard of is one person using acetone. Even then I am sceptical.

I tend to use brake fluid remover from WURTH as it has no residue. The put smells and colours in alcohols to stop people from drinking them. Hence they are not pure and even 100% alcohol has 10% water. It is a hydroscopic liquid.

Best leave it alone. The engine adapts itself automatically.

I too would leave well enough alone, but if you really want to give it a clean make sure whatever you use is something that evaporates quickly and doesn't leave any residue such as the isopropyl alcohol.

Ive always used brake cleaner, really good gear:)

Use to do my last car every service as it had a k+n, never caused any trouble

Lynall

It shall be left to its own devices for fear of upsetting the little bugger. Car is running fine at the moment returning around 30MPG, idle is smooth. Its just feeling a little, well strained is the only way I can describe it. More probably its me though to be honest....

I have heard this used before and if allowed to dry before use is reported to be OK.

Personally, if I were worried I would have my MAF checked to see if it is reporting the flow you would expect from a healthy engine with a healthy MAF. Or fit a new one if it is old.

Carbon tetrachloride used to be good for this type of job, undyed of course, but not sure if you can still buy it.

When my old MAF started to fail, and the car was running poorly, I tried some isopropyl alcohol spray, and then it wouldn't even start. :eek:

If your's is running ok, I'd leave it well alone to be honest.

The only cleaner to use is IPA, it will remove grease/grime/oil and then evaporate. bout £8/can - if cleaning it dont fix the problem - you have another issue:D
(ie the element inside is fooked as mine was)

Quote (its just feeling a little, well strained) big car needs a big engine the bigger the better:D

I curse at mine at times for not being powerful enough!

Lynall

Ps Bishops Finger much better than IPA:p

Lynall

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm..............Beeeeeeeerrrrr :crazy:

my personal fave is Marstons Old Empire (but 'Bad Beer' is an oxymoron!!)

Stan just finished my last bottle from lidl last night:D trousers have been a tad tight all week:p

Lynall

Hey but who cares, beer is good... I like the sound of the deal in Lidl though!

Under the thinly veiled excuse of the credit crunch I may well stock up. At least the SClass has a cavernous boot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom