Is everything online these days?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maco

Car
2021 A220D AMG Executive Saloon.
Today me & the wife picked up our brand new W177 A220D saloon. Absolutely over the moon with it & I tell you what it doesn’t half move. I would consider myself quite tech savvy but the MBUX system even took me by surprise with how clever it is.

Anyway, checked the glovebox + boot & rear seats and couldn’t find a manual/handbook. Do these new cars not have a handbook anymore & everything is online or have they simply forgot to put it in the car?

You can find it within the cars MBUX/COMAND - they have been digital only for around 5 years now on most models.

Although I agree that it is complete 'no brainer' for manufacturers to do away with printed manuals for countless models in multiple languages . If I bought a new car I would Sorley miss the thick manual full of really good practical advice ....that I would refuse to look at even once , because I am a MAN ! :p

I've recently bought one registered in September 2020 and it came with a manual. I couldn't do with having to go online. I like to find my problem in the index and read about it. Good old fashioned thumbing through a manual. I've used it already trying to find the 12v in the boot (that it doesn't have)

You don't go online,they are in the cars audio/media/satnav/command/etc set up somewhere.

Did you not have a nice folder in the glovebox with the manual and a load of other bumf?

Today me & the wife picked up our brand new W177 A220D saloon. Absolutely over the moon with it & I tell you what it doesn’t half move. I would consider myself quite tech savvy but the MBUX system even took me by surprise with how clever it is.

Anyway, checked the glovebox + boot & rear seats and couldn’t find a manual/handbook. Do these new cars not have a handbook anymore & everything is online or have they simply forgot to put it in the car?
Found mine underneath the carpet in the trunk.

Congrats on your purchase!
Seriously, is anyone going to sit in the drivers seat for hours reading a manual on a screen on the dash? Ok if a manual isn’t printed, but can’t they put one online so you can read through while on the couch or even sitting in bed.

Nothing in the glovebox, haven’t checked anywhere else. The online manual is absolutely terrible. Like I say I’m only 26 so would class myself good with technology. Not saying if your older you can’t hack tech by the way haha. But even I found MBUX a bit overwhelming at first. Usually I like to scan through a proper manual to see if there’s any hidden features/tech that I didn’t know about. Especially when it comes to a system like MBUX

Just had a funny phone call.
“Hello Matthew its Lee from Mercedes, any idea where the owners handbook is for your Audi?’

I said, I’m holding it ransom until I get one for my new car 🤣 Anyway, turns out the owners handbook is hidden where the spare wheel would be!

Bought a new C300 in March and that came with a written manual. That said, there are a number of things that the car has that the manual doesn’t mention but then the online version is silent on them too. I agree that a written manual is an outdated concept but there is no excuse for the online versions being as crap as they are with lots of omissions and misleading info. Plus of course that every third comment is a safety warning or a disclaimer - each book would kill one less tree if MB just put one big message on page one that said “IF YOU HURT / KILL YOURSELF USING THIS PRODUCT THEN IT WAS YOUR FAULT”, they could delete tons of text.

I do love to study the book but I suspect they are a thing of the past.

Canny beat an actual manual. Proper toilet reading stuff. 🥳
I'm glad you said that - i was thinking it but thought too crude to admit to! I do love a good manual, and there's no better place to absorb it's learnings! I swear my IQ goes up 30% when i'm in the lav.

My school years were all about manuals, they were the only story books my dad could afford

I'm glad you said that - i was thinking it but thought too crude to admit to! I do love a good manual, and there's no better place to absorb it's learnings! I swear my IQ goes up 30% when i'm in the lav.
Totally agree.
However I’m an amateur compared to my ole dad. I have memories of him in the loo for an hour at a time with the newspaper. With a wife & 4 kids in the house he always maintained it was the only piece he ever got. 🥴

As mentioned it's available in the car, but also online and as a phone app. ... both of which are bit more convenient.

The main disadvantage is that you can search but not really 'browse'. If you already know that the car has a particular function (and what it's called ... "Adaptive Highbeam Assist Plus", "Multibeam LED", "Active Brake Assist", "Traffic Sign Assist", etc.) then you can look up the details, but otherwise you'll be none the wiser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom