Is he mad or a good idea for West Londoners?

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by Dragon, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Dragon

Dragon Banned

2. Meldrew2

Meldrew2 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mine: BMW X1 2.0d M-Sport & BMW 420d M-Sport+ Cabrio Hers: BMW X1 1.8d SE (sorry, guys)
    Hmmm. Mad or a good idea. Hard question to answer. Can I ask the audience?

These people shouldn't be put in charge of a stick insect, never mind a capital city.

It's what you get when you elect someone with a shoe size larger than his IQ.......

3. neilrr

neilrr MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Various.
    Strikes me this is visionary thinking.

Apart from the usual concerns raised about Heathrow (noise, pollution, overcrowding, etc, etc) one day a plane will come down in central London leaving a smoking furrow of a mass grave.

Then the wisdom of daily having hundreds of overflights from the world's busiest airport over the country's most densley populated conurbation will seem less than wise.

4. Meldrew2

Car:
    Mine: BMW X1 2.0d M-Sport & BMW 420d M-Sport+ Cabrio Hers: BMW X1 1.8d SE (sorry, guys)
    Hmmm. I hadn't thought of that aspect.....

5. Roger Jones

Roger Jones Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Visionary and not a little radical. Heathrow seems to be a right royal pain for everyone involved, and its further expansion is an horrendous prospect. Time for a change. Go for it, Boris, and make sure the fast rail link reaches west London.

6. Meldrew2

Car:
    Whoops! Just read the small print - I guess this topic is Politics - so it's banned.

Mod - please delete.

7. Roger Jones

Roger Jones Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Could all the road-traffic dimensions of the Heathrow monster be more motoring related?

8. andy_k

andy_k MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Alfa GTV 3.0
    doesn't Boris live in Henley?

let's see, move the airport to the other side of London and no more flight paths or stacks over your house.

who cares about all the related businesses being forced to close down/relocate. The sudden drop in property values in the Thames Valley etc etc etc

The man is a weapons grade t**t

9. st4

st4 Banned

Car:
    C220cdi tourer
    There is a airport in London City anyway. For safety reasons it seems a bit silly and Gatwick and Heathrow are large airports. Build more runways at them is what I say.

10. scumbag

scumbag Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Its German, has a round badge, reminds me of a Mercedes. Satan fuelled
    well apart from Hong Kong, doing this would not close LHR. It would just open up a new airport.

Not blue sky thinking at all. Just keeping his name in the papers and getting the dicsussion ready for when the Planning comes for the next runway at LHR and he gets to sign it saying yes. Always good to have the evidence of why it can't go elsewhere at your fingertips courtesy of some good old fashioned PR.

Alternatively, if the governments white paper on aviation for the next 30years, seems to run out of cpacity before it should, then they will pay for something like this, which has already been proposed in that very same document, and Boris will be seen as a visionary.

No real downside here is there?

And seeing as LGW is up for sale, and BAA need a new runway at LHR, guess whats around the corner as far as planning applications is concerned? The 3rd runway was always going to happen here as T5 was built to help LHR handle 90m pax a year, and yet the runways are at about 98% capacity. So why have extra passenger capacity?

Its just another part of the jigsaw coming together.

(What would they use to build this new island? not wanting to expose the only real problem it faces!)

11. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    All the unused Bendy Busses, Boris said he would scrap. Has he.??

12. scumbag

scumbag Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Its German, has a round badge, reminds me of a Mercedes. Satan fuelled
    no idea, I live 600miles away!

The buses up here could do with scrapping. you should see the size of the ones they have carrying 4 people about round town here. those 20 seaters would be a lot more efficient.

Would stop the cathedral having is wall knock down on an annual basis by the drivers too. Although it has survived the last 9 months collision free.

13. neilrr

neilrr MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Various.
    Boris lives in London.

14. wemorgan

wemorgan MB Club Veteran

Car:
    A205 C220d
    Plastic drums filled with all the hot air that comes out of Westminster?

15. Meldrew2

Car:

The real cause of global warming............

:bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana:

16. OP
    OP
    Dragon

Dragon Banned

No, not in West London. St. Pancras.:D

17. CMR

CMR Active Member

Car:
    W203 C240 (2001)
    First thoughts, cost? is this before, during or after the olympics?, and flooding measures in that part of town?