Is insurance getting cheaper?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

seven

Car
Transporter Kombi
Renewal time for our cars - 2012 C63 estate for me and 2013 Mini for the other half. Mini is with Esure and it was £133 fully comp - the least I've ever paid in my life I think! C63 came in at £288 including business use with Churchill. Pleasantly surprised is a bit of an understatement!
Yes, we live in a good postcode and have good no claims and no convictions, but even so I think they are great prices.

brilliant prices did you have to shop around for those prices would not get near this in any London postcode

Renewal time for our cars - 2012 C63 estate for me and 2013 Mini for the other half. Mini is with Esure and it was £133 fully comp - the least I've ever paid in my life I think! C63 came in at £288 including business use with Churchill. Pleasantly surprised is a bit of an understatement!
Yes, we live in a good postcode and have good no claims and no convictions, but even so I think they are great prices.

Yes it is, relatively speaking.

All at same address (rubbish postcode area) from 1986 -2.0 Cavalier (cringe) £400 to 2013- Vito Sport, £360 and many in between.

Bike insurance started at £450 in 1986 and was the same(ish) when I packed up in 2010.

As for your quote, that is astonishing.

Last edited:
It's getting cheaper for low risk and more expensive for high risk. The gap is widening.

brilliant prices did you have to shop around for those prices would not get near this in any London postcode

Esure was a renewal letter quote. I always spend an hour or two shopping around but couldn't beat it. C63 was through an online comparison site.

My insurance went from £1150 to £510 in one year. Although being a young driver is probably the main problem. (23)

I was paying £1400 in 2012 for a M5 with tracker, full NCD and clean licence. I wrote that car off and was car-less for over a year. Now I have a C63 Estate and paying only £650 with 3 years NCD and no need for a tracker. Granted the M5 is a hardcore car but I think insurance prices are coming down in general.

I was paying £1400 in 2012 for a M5 with tracker, full NCD and clean licence. I wrote that car off and was car-less for over a year. Now I have a C63 Estate and paying only £650 with 3 years NCD and no need for a tracker. Granted the M5 is a hardcore car but I think insurance prices are coming down in general.
Wouldn't a tracker ruin the whole point of an M5? I imagine the premium would go up after each drive.

My insurance went from £1150 to £510 in one year. Although being a young driver is probably the main problem. (23)

The annual premium for my W124 E320 is £93, although being an old driver is probably the reason with lots of NCB and living in a "safe" area. :bannana:

I pay less for my CLS55 than I did for my C270CDI ... and far, far less than I did for my first car, 998 Singer Chamois!

God bless motor insurers, they are a charitable bunch. Makes me wonder how much they have been overcharging (allegedly) all these years...

Fact is they are having to reduce premiums as they promised this would happen in return for the Government/Ministry of Justice giving major concessions to them.

If they didn't follow up on their promises they would look disingenuous... just like they did in the recent Transport Select Committee Report which criticised insurers for making pre-medical offers on personal injury claims. After all why pay out if they think everybody who claims is bent?

Cynically I'd say give it a year or so and watch your premiums start to hike back up to their previous levels.

Mine is ludicrous due to postcode ,paid circa £550 last year for a 1999 c class just done a quick search and cheapest came in at £750 clean licence for donkeys years and full no claims for donkeys - complete joke.

No guys, insurance isn't getting cheaper, you're just getting older! :D

998 singer chamois was very rare even when new. most imps and variants were 875.

Very revable and chuckable I remember

There's nothing to do at work today so I thought I will check Mercedes Benz Insurance for fun and see with what amount they will come up for C63. And it's a new record, with no NCD (have other car) it showed 14K ! With NCD I got
information that they can not provide me with the quote. What a joke ;-)

I think I'm too young for them, maybe when I get to 50 it will be cheaper ;-)

Other companies are showing around 700GBP with 6 years NCD and 800GBP with no NCD.

£800 with zero NCB is amazing for a C63, if it's £700 with some discount applied.

Admiral is usually cheapest for my Merc cars. Then there's a gap and some other companies, so I'm choosing Admiral due to lack of real choice. 800GBP with no NCD is from them.

I will be putting C63 on multi-policy but still checking some other companies from time to time, just out of curiosity.

Today Privilege came up with 460gbp for C63 with 6NCD but they have lousy policy and it would be probably much more expensive if I add international travel, etc.

I scrapped the C250td and put a Toyota Prado in its place, insurance was 110/year cheaper for the same comp cover! I was surprised, but pleased.
:thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom