Is it £5k to replace a 3.7 metre electric garage door?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeInWimbledon

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
(Ex S211 E500, W212 E500, C216, S212 E500, W211 E500 5.5, W221 S500, S211 E500, SL500, S500, E55)
The Obergruppenführer has decided we should replace the twenty year old remote controlled garage door, partly because it leaks cold air around the one inch gap down each of its sides, and partly because the door looks "tired."

Does anyone have experience or insight into the typical cost of replacing a 3.7 metre wide up and over single panel garage door, including fresh electrics and neat refinishing of the garage edge?

I won't do just a part-fix - like keeping the existing motor & wiring - if it gets done, it'll be the whole thing.

A quick google of installers suggests that it may be £5k to get it done properly by a competent installer in South West London. That's a couple of k more than the cost of a basic fit, but I'm looking for a quality unit, well installed, and well finished.

What do you reckon?

(This kind of thing, but not as wide)

doube-garador-beaumont-white.jpg

Last edited:
£5k seems OTT to me.

Have seen several companies offering decent looking electric roller shutter doors including installation for less than half that amount. Is an up and over door and absolute must? :)

I used to have an up and over door.
I replaced with a circa 6 metre, remote controlled roller shutter around 10 years ago and it has been problem free.

The roller shutter takes up less space than the up and over door which was a pain when open because half the door came inside the garage.

Sounds way over the top to me but I'm not used to labour rates that will be charged down south.

Perhaps a new roller door may be a better option?
I installed one a few months ago from Roller Door UK, 2.4M wide was £555 delivered with safety edge controls, took me and a mate a day to install and we had never done it before.

I’d be expecting change out of £2.5k for a well finished job.. but guess that Wimbledon prices are generally inflated.. 🙁

My Dad paid about £3k I believe about a year ago for same size door . It’s a German make and is one of those segmented doors . This was a North Wales price though , not the big city

If it helps any we had two single electric roller doors (completely independent) plus a replacement side door done for £3500 in 2017 (Berkshire).

I did all my own diy and decorating until I peaked and did twelve rooms in twelve months. After that I've let other people do... a far better job...

So I'm looking to get someone in to do it, renewing the remote control and motor mechanism, as well as fitting a new door. "Soup to nuts" as we used to say.

I reckon the local tradesmen rates will be twice that of the folks in Wales or Scotland - don't begrudge that, it's expensive to live down here.

I'm sympathetic to the insulated roller door case, but the Obergruppenführer reckons that we have to match the existing doors of our neighbours

So maybe £3k to get the job done?

Door, motor, remote control & gizmos, with freshly finished door frame...?

Any recommendations for a good quality door & motor? Hörmann ?

sounds like you are getting charged extra London Postcode Tax...

Not sure, but best bet for insulation would be a sectional door rather than a roller shutter, I have a roller shutter and problem arises when the motor needs to be replaced, it's in the middle of the roller so the whole lot has to be removed. Had this done on my garage door once in about 25 years or so, but worth considering. Sectional door are hinged panels which can be insulated and operated by a separate motor so easy to replace when that fails.

I had a pair of Horman 40mm insulated sectional electric doors fitted 20 years ago and they were about £1400 each even back then.
On the plus side they've gone up & down , twice a day, nearly every day for 20 years and never had a problem bar one snapped spring.

Last edited:
We've got Hörmann sectional doors (two singles) on the double garage at our new house, but they're manually operated. I assume it would be possible to add electric openers but I guess this wouldn't be cheap?

I had a 4.4m door replaced with a Alugard insulated roller door, was about £2.2K

I can swear by Hörmann. Had my fully electric sectional door fitted in Limehouse E14 in 2016 for just over £2k custom size about 2.5m wide. German precision at its finest! A12 Garage Doors did a first class job so I can highly recommend them - 01376 519191.

We've got Hörmann sectional doors (two singles) on the double garage at our new house, but they're manually operated. I assume it would be possible to add electric openers but I guess this wouldn't be cheap?
I think the opener + boom are circa £300 each plus fitting.
My wife thinks they're the best thing since sliced bread, no more getting wet unloading the shopping or getting wet loading the grandchildren into the car to get them to school.

It's not a Southern Tax.............

It's a Ginger Tax :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom