is it a common thing black smoke

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arkamelis

Car
Now have my E320 cdi
hi all, every so oftern i just have to floor it, in my lovely e320 just to feel that power of the 3.2 block:bannana: thing is i do notice alot of smoke when i look out the rear window, checking to see if im being chased by the police. i know its a diesel and i guess you should expect it. any views ?

Its quite common on the diesels as the build up of soot and carbon gets blown out when car is worked a bit. As long as it doesn't do it all the time you re fine and its totally normal.

no it doesnt smoke all the time, its nice to know its a normal thing. feel better now thanks

hi all, every so oftern i just have to floor it, in my lovely e320 just to feel that power of the 3.2 block:bannana: thing is i do notice alot of smoke when i look out the rear window, checking to see if im being chased by the police. i know its a diesel and i guess you should expect it. any views ?

Black smoke is incompletely burned fuel - so it could be overfuelling (leaky injector) or insufficient air (blocked air filters). Most diesels give some black smoke if you really put your foot down. If I floor my E320CDI I can lay down a smoke screen that the Royal Navy would have been proud of around 1st World War Dreadnought battleships! But the car HAS done 570,000 miles so it's entitled to smoke a bit!

hopefully i have i little trick up my sleeve that may help rid/reduce smoke. il try and test first. and let my fello members know if successful

Black smoke sometimes when flooring it or driving hard is normal. If it smokes all the time then you have a problem, otherwise its running as it should.

570,000 and still going strong...big achievement there lol. proves the german build quality i suppose.

mine puffs a bit bt i have noticed recently that it smokes noticeably as i pull away from standstill for a few yards then clears - it also smokes much more when I floor the throttle - also, a couple of times the gearbox goes into a limp type mode (reduced revs and will not kick down) but no error messages indicated - could this be a MAF sensor related fault? cold starting is not as good as it used to be either.

mileage is 180,000 with full MB service history.

Bad cold starting could be air the system. Normally from the fuel pipe seals perishing.

Limp mode could be because of your EGR valve maybe, may need cleaning, could be MAF but it i think the problem would occurring more often if it was.

Best thing would be to get it on STAR incase any codes are logged.

star

how much is it and whats the benifits ? what does the test do

STAR is the official MB diagnositic tool. Costs are rediculous if you go to your dealer, but more reasonable from a suitably equiped Indy.

Or are you thinking of buying a STAR system for yourself?

no i just wanted to know what it was about, and what it does ? iv only just got my car and unsure of many things yet. i hear it gets mentioned loads on the site. still dont know what the benifits are tho, can you tell me what it does. if i got it done what would be the benifits. example what sort of things does it detect ?
thanks matt

It's used to tell you specifically where a problem lies with your car. You only need to connect to it if you are experiencing issues.
It's the official MB system so goes right down to component level.

If your car is running fine then there is no need to have the test. You only need it if something is wrong (i.e. lamps on the instrument cluster).

Is your car running ok? If not, what are the problems? Best to ask here first cos in my experience, this forum is great as a pre STAR test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom