Is it easy to replace the Charge Air Hose?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MBLOVERMCR

Car
C300d AMG Line (2019)
Hi. I experienced a loss of power and the garage have said it’s my ‘charge air hose’ which needs replacing. They’re quoting almost £400.

I’ve found the part online for anywhere between £30 - £200. I’m willing to have a go at fitting it myself but I want to make sure I get the right part and that I’m not biting off more than I can chew or walk into any traps.

Is the charge air hose just the wide diameter pipe which runs vertical from the top of the engine bay down to the intercooler? I’ve seen things online that have me second guessing whether I have the right pipe - one of them makes it seem that it is a small diameter pipe which runs from the air intake to the turbo at the top of the engine bay. And if I check for damage myself should it be obvious or only evident when the engine is under load?

And there aren’t any sensors or fluids to be mindful of are there? I’ve attached a photo of what I think the part is that I should be getting. Hope it’s right - I’ll get a cheaper one if possible though.

Any help is appreciated. It feels like it’s pretty easy to make (easy) mistakes when you do things yourself. But I’d love to avoid forking out £400 if I can.

Attachments

• 0C981B39-FA17-4110-9CDE-7EA244859A2C.png
    0C981B39-FA17-4110-9CDE-7EA244859A2C.png
    635.7 KB · Views: 7
Buy the hose and take it and the car to another garage.

I imagine it's around 30 minutes labour., it was on my E Class.

It would help of course in answering your question if you told us what model and engine type you are asking about.

Do they merely mean the intercooler hose, or is it possible it is the ducting (riser) or even the inlet manifold?
Of course the hose is the easy 1st call.

Sorry, it’s a w204 c220cdi.

The garage stated “Charge air hose” which makes me think it’s what websites refer to as the intercooler hose. But I’m a novice so I’m not sure. I’m guessing it’s the intercooler hose as opposed to simply an air hose.

I’m unsure if it’s a fault I can see with my eyes whilst the engine is off or if it just presents itself under load. If it’s under load I won’t be able to tell and might get/fix the wrong part.

Thanks for the quick replies!

You may be able to see a split in the hose you suspect.

Have a good look with a cold engine 👍

Thanks buddy. I’ll have a good look when I get the car back.

Thanks for getting in touch 👍🏻
You are very welcome.

The hose for my E Class was only £55 from Mercedes so it may well be a diffeent problem with your vehicle.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom