Is it just me? More Sat Nav woes - E-Class S213

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickpb

Car
A180d Sport Executive
<<Rant on>>

So I've just spent almost 4 weeks driving in France. On the first day over there my Comand navigation resets during the drive and I get the message telling me that the maps have successfully been updated to the latest level. Great, I think, what good timing!

A couple of days later I am going down a road I last went down 2 years ago. As I come to a roundabout Comand tells me to take the 3rd exit - WRONG, it should be the second exit. Suddenly I get a feeling of deja-vu as I remember it was wrong 2 years ago.

Travelling on a few miles and suddenly I'm going down a road that isn't on the map - same as 2 years ago!!

SO I've kind of got used to this now and learned to take what it (she) tells me with a pinch of salt, however she excelled herself when we were driving home:

Driving cross-country to Limoges I suddenly get a warning that there is a road closure on my route and do I want to accept the alternate route. Unfortunately the new route she offers me is 160Km longer than the current route. What the !!!. Politely decline the new route then pull over to study the map more closely. I notice that even if the road IS closed there are plenty of alternate routes in the vicinity so decide to carry on.

After that I get a message saying that the road closure has now been cancelled (or words to that effect). Great, I think, no further problems. Right. After a few more miles I get the 'Road closed' message again, and the diversion has now increased by the number of miles I've traveled.

This continued for well over 100 Km with her telling me the road closure was no longer active, then telling me it was, and me rejecting the new route every time.

Finally I came to the 'road closure' (the last deviation I noticed was around 270Km!!) and sailed through with no closures and no problems.

Even better the next day. I enter my destination and she tells me she's calculating the route. Comes up with a route that is pretty close to the one I would have taken anyway, so I go with that. Within 2 minutes of driving she suddenly tells me that there is a road closure on my route and tries to divert me. Why the hell is she sending down a route with a road closure in the first place? (I know what you're thinking - LiveTraffic lags behind the route planning, but we had been driving for 10 minutes or so before I entered the destination, so that's not the case)

At this stage I give up and go off-route slightly to make her re-calculate.

Don't you just love technology?

<<Rant off>>

Get a copy of Waze, more up to date than the MB satnavs and much better live traffic updates.

Get a copy of Waze, more up to date than the MB satnavs and much better live traffic updates.

Yes I know, but it bugs me that I paid a premium for, what I thought would be a decent Sat Nav, only to find that I can download a free one that is much better and, I think, has speed cameras as well. It totally lets the car down, not that MB care.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom