Is it just me or are Pirelli P6000s total pants?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tlbham

Car
2001 CLK430
With all the recent rain, I've come to notice that my tyres are AWFUL in wet conditions. I have nearly lost the back end twice now, while following much lesser cars through long sweeping bends on A-roads. The rears also spin up REALLY easily when pulling off at the lights, even under moderate acceleration in 'winter mode'. My old car had 'economy' tyres and they performed much better....I shudder to think what will happen when it gets icy.

Considering getting the tyres changed and eBaying the (barely) used ones - they're downright dangerous in my view.

I don't want to pay the earth....any recommendations? I hear [EDITED, due to mistake] Falken tyres are excellent.

Last edited:
I use P6000s on our FWD Astra and never had any problems, they are much better than the Michelins that were on it before. I'm just about to stick 4 onto the kids car too. I'd be interested in hearing anyone else who's had issues with them.

Do a search on here ....

P6000's are old outdated techonology . The are put on fleet cars because they are cheap.

There are better tyres out there for less money.

On a recent foray to Scotland from Lancashire Mr Ian Walker swore blind he would junk the newish P6000's on his E220 124. Several serious brown adrenaline moments:eek: occured on wet roads in the Peebles area. Ian's driving style can be described as :devil:"brisk!!" to moderate:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I also loathe P6000's not just on performance grounds but for the fact that they transmit so much road noise. I've never known such loud tyres.

Lots of us use 452s , an excellent tyre.

I had a set on my Nova about 4 years ago and I couldn't fault them. It was a very light car though and they were 185/55/14's (standard size was something like 165) which might have helped. Things have probably moved on since then though :eek:

My friend, who knows a thing or two about cars (owns a M3, goes to the 'ring A LOT) swears by Michelin Pilot Sport 2. He swears about my tyres.

The first set of tyres I had on my 130hp Bora eight years ago(!) were P6000's. They were pants in the wet except when almost brand new when they were mediocre. I'd never use them by choice. YMMV and all that...

I put my old CRX into a ditch in Cornwall on P6000's :crazy:

I put my old CRX into a ditch in Cornwall on P6000's :crazy:

Yes, I always called them 'ditchfinders'. :)

That said, I had a set on a V6 Vectra (scrap man dodging car with 180k miles) and did something like 20k miles on them without even half wearing them. No problems really and I wasn't at all unhappy with them, although my mate who co-owned the car with me had them sliding everywhere.

My driving style is much more laid back, so that probably means I could put Stomils on and be adequately safe and happy.

Ian.

I agree , i couldn't get them to wear either !! They were made out of some Star Trek type rubber ..... i did thousands of miles on them and the tread never wore down ....

They were still on it when i sold it ....

Hmmm... these were still on the car when we dismantled it and put the 'too good to scrap' engine into a Mk3 Astra where it's still providing swift, reliable service.

There used to be similar comments about some of the older Michelin designs, wasn't it the MX or MXV series tyres, ditchfinders for the keener drivers, or pretty long lived for the meek.

Ian.

I have the complete service history and all receipts for my car. It is on its forth set of P6000s after nearly 100k with quite a bit of tread left.

Dreadful tyres, known to cause W202s to crash into walls...

My friend, who knows a thing or two about cars (owns a M3, goes to the 'ring A LOT) swears by Michelin Pilot Sport 2. He swears about my tyres.

I have MPS 2 on my Boxster .. superb tyres

Dreadful tyres, known to cause W202s to crash into walls...
;):D

Mine's running on a set of 225/50/16 P6000's I picked up from neilrr about 15K ago (fitted in March). About 5K left on them. Haven't had any issues with them - certainly better than the Kumho's that were on the car when I got it - and the P7s that came with my second set of wheels (8J ones). Wear seems about average, so I can't be being too gentle on them.

But Falken 452s will be going on as replacements.

P6000's, consigned to the bin. awful tyres, will never ever use them again. :ban:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom