Is it just me or is this the wrong model?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yes, sure its an S55 AMG . . . . but a Kompressor model????

The autotrader details seem to miss the all important "K" out of the "S55L".

Last edited:
59,000 miles, S55 AMG 5. 4 V8 Kompressor 500bhp,

?

I'll have to profess quite a bit of ignorance on the model specifics, but I didn't thing the S55's were badged kompressor.

Last edited:
59,000 miles, S55 AMG 5. 4 V8 Kompressor 500bhp,

?

Ok, maybe im not saying this right.

The car has only 2 tailpipes, the Kompressor has 4.

No "V8 Kompressor" badges on the wings.

The command unit is of the older style.

And lastly, the date is coming back as March 2002, im sure AMG didnt start using the Kompressors until October 2002, somewhat 8 months after this car was made.

:confused:

Ahh you see its those little things I would have glossed over.

Ahh you see its those little things I would have glossed over.

Trust me, 130 Bhp in the form of a Supercharger is not a small thing :crazy:

Just asked the guy via ebay wether i could see a photo of the engine bay and wether it was actually a Kompressor model and just got the reply of "No". Seems like quite a **** so best avoided. :mad:

It might just be me but i think someones in for a shock when they find a few key items missing :eek:

Like some feedback for the seller too!!

Edit.

OOps. Look like we got some.

Just asked the guy via ebay wether i could see a photo of the engine bay and wether it was actually a Kompressor model and just got the reply of "No". Seems like quite a **** so best avoided.

There are 2x versions of the S55 AMG - with kompressor and without.

This car has no kompressor badges on the side of front wings, and only twin tail pipes, not quads, as has been said.

At best it is an S55 AMG without kompressor, so the sellers desription of it being 500bhp and having a kompressor is wrong.

We might allow the seller to be mistaken, but I suspect the lack of engine bay pictures are deliberate, the post above is very telling...

S55 AMG (W220) and CL55AMG (W215) models up to Sept 2003 are different to the AMG models post Sept 2003:

Up to 09/03: Engine only naturally aspirated V8 (without kompressor), circ 380bhp. Single tip exhaust, 5-speed gearbox, no manual mode or paddle-shift.
Post 09/03: Supercharges V8 (Kompressor), circ 490bhp, twin tip exhaust, 5-speed speedtronics with paddle-shift. Other cosmetic differences include rear light cluster, Comand upgrade, AMG designation and badging to interior and exterior.

Mel.

I have just asked similar questons and await the response. I find that there are so many scammers, cheats and liars on ebay and Autotrader that rather than get annoyed you can have a little sport with them ;)

I have just asked similar questons and await the response. I find that there are so many scammers, cheats and liars on ebay and Autotrader that rather than get annoyed you can have a little sport with them ;)

What a good man. :D

To be honest i thought he was genuinely mistaken, but i think with the lack of info, lack of pics and general attitude he's doing this on purpose so someone with a certain lack of knowledge will go and buy it at twice the price its actually worth.

I must admit when i started searching for a S55/S600 even i didnt know what year came with what power and where they all changed from, luckily i do now, but i feel sorry for someone. :(

S55 AMG (W220) and CL55AMG (W215) models up to Sept 2003 are different to the AMG models post Sept 2003:

Up to 09/03: Engine only naturally aspirated V8 (without kompressor), circ 380bhp. Single tip exhaust, 5-speed gearbox, no manual mode or paddle-shift.
Post 09/03: Supercharges V8 (Kompressor), circ 490bhp, twin tip exhaust, 5-speed speedtronics with paddle-shift. Other cosmetic differences include rear light cluster, Comand upgrade, AMG designation and badging to interior and exterior.

Mel.

Your nearly right Mel, everythings right apart from the Years.

Although its more commonly said that the cars are either pre-2003 (no kompressor) or post 2003 (with kompressor) the actual fact is that the non-kompressor models went upto September 2002. From October 2002 AMG started doing the Kompressor.

Cant really tell about the headlights but im sure the rear light clusters are for the pre-facelift non-kompressor model aswell.

Now even im surprised by how much i seem to have learnt from the likes of all you great lot on here.

What a good man. :D

To be honest i thought he was genuinely mistaken, but i think with the lack of info, lack of pics and general attitude he's doing this on purpose so someone with a certain lack of knowledge will go and buy it at twice the price its actually worth.

I must admit when i started searching for a S55/S600 even i didn't know what year came with what power and where they all changed from, luckily i do now, but i feel sorry for someone. :(

Before I bought my C320 I looked at a number on Auto trader and after awhile the liars and cheats are fairly obvious. I did a quick check on a C320 Coupe, all seemed OK in the advert, price was a little low but it was in the Midlands and prices are often a little lower as one travels north.

On checking it came back as having had 5 accident claims in 3 years. It had also undergone 3 plate changes, neither were detailed so I called the seller and chatted away, discovered he had had it for just over 3 years, asked about service history, he told me he had just had the cam belt changed (I did not let on that I knew it was chain driven:)) and when I asked about accident history was told that it had needed a new windscreen but that was all.

When I ventured to suggest he was a lying, cheating lowlife and that I knew of the cars rather chequered past and would be contacting Auto trader he became rather aggressive and told me he would find out where I lived!

I found that rather amusing as my number was with held and, as I pointed out to him, I did have a full recording of the conversation where he had lied and made the threat. :D

<Quote:
Although its more commonly said that the cars are either pre-2003 (no kompressor) or post 2003 (with kompressor) the actual fact is that the non-kompressor models went upto September 2002. From October 2002 AMG started doing the Kompressor. Unquote>

You are right and I stand corrected. There are some (very few) 52 reg kompressor cars around. My own 03 reg CL55 was in fact a kompressor! I should have known better!
Mel.

Last edited:
Could the back of that car be any higher off the ground?

Could the back of that car be any higher off the ground?

Thats another thing irking me about this, the suspension is set to the highest position by the looks of it. I would have thought with those wheels the objective would have been to lower it. :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom