Is it legal to park on footway?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We walk 5 dogs, and regularly have to squeeze past cars that have left a tiny gap on the pavement for no good reason (not a particularly narrow road).

Not good for the paintwork, I'd have thought.

I should have got the dog to scramble over the cars!

Not a problem for us as all our dogs compete in agility - will have to try it sometime :D

OzAgClub2008.jpg

Warning, warning, rant mode

I just typed a long rant and poof… it disappeared into the hypernet!!!:eek: :eek: Take two;)

Parking on the footpath is illegal be it one wheel, two wheels or all fourteen...... UNLESS it is an authorised, designated and signed area.

I have no sympathy for any car owner that claims they have no where to park! No sympathy, none, zero! WHY should the pedestrian be concerned with the problems of the road user? Should we allow the pedestrian to walk unimpeded along the centre of our roads? It is laughable to assume it is perfectly acceptable to plonk our cars on the footpath without a single thought for those we might inconvenience. The blind, the infirm, the young…. Who cares if our inconsiderate parking forces these vulnerable people to walk out onto the road? I’m alright, who cares about anyone else?

Broken paving slabs,
I bet that folks very quickly complain about any slabs that are broke and either stick up in the air, or subside? It is usually the inconsiderate road user that thinks it is okay to park on the footpath that has caused this damage, but do they care, or even give this a moments thought?

I am extremely unstable on my feet but take satisfaction on being able to take a short walk along our footpaths and yes, I do come across the occasional person that thinks it clever to plonk their cars on the footpath. My old style crutches have metal wing nuts that stick out just a little and belief it or not I am extremely careful not to scratch the offending vehicles. Yes I am tempted and yes I am angry at this inconsiderate parking and yes I admit to bending back more than the odd wing mirror. I have done this when drivers are leaving their cars, I have done this when drivers are sat in their cars. They are rude, ignorant, thoughtless and arrogant and I think they all very quickly read my mind.:devil: :devil: :mad:

Roads are for cars and footpaths are for pedestrians.

It is illegal and I don’t care whether it is two wheels or all four, and we should all think about others and stick to parking on the road. Deep down I do wish I had crutches that were endowed with the extras that were fitted to Queen Boadicea’s chariot
Boadicea-denkmal1.jpg

regards
John Mr Angry
mr_angry.png

[pedant mode]Generally accepted that she was neither a queen nor did she have the added accroutrements[/pedant mode]

But yes PAVEMENTS FOR PEOPLE!

[pedant mode]Generally accepted that she was neither a queen nor did she have the added accroutrements[/pedant mode]

But yes PAVEMENTS FOR PEOPLE!

Pedant mode part 2: These are footways not pavements ;)

Pedant mode part 2: These are footways not pavements ;)
Don't care, not bothered, face, look at the face, bothered.

foot-ways are for pedestrians. :D

Oh pedant person,
No one has the legal right to even park on the highway unless it is at a designated, clearly signed location. We as road users have the right to drive on the highway but not the right to park\obstruct it :devil: ;)

If I want to fantasise about some old queen then please don't spoil the moment :devil: :D :D

Regards
John the old queen fantasiser

Alliteration rules, OK?

Yeah!
Pavements are for the Perfect Perambulation of the People NOT for Perambulating the Periphery of the imProperly Parked.

(I think I used a bit of poetic licence there)

HIGHWAY CODE
You MUST NOT park partially or wholly on the pavement in London, and should not do so elsewhere unless signs permit it. Parking on the pavement can obstruct and seriously inconvenience pedestrians, people in wheelchairs or with visual impairments and people with prams or pushchairs.

[Law GL(GP)A sect 15]

http://tinyurl.com/2rvaah
(
Many of the rules in the Code are legal requirements, and if you disobey these rules you are committing a criminal offence. You may be fined, given penalty points on your licence or be disqualified from driving. In the most serious cases you may be sent to prison. Such rules are identified by the use of the words ‘MUST/MUST NOT’.)
End of story.

Oh, and crossing kerbs does no good whatsoever to tyres, suspension and steering systems.

Last edited:
Hello

I also push our little one in the pram and a three wheel buggy and round our neighbourhood I'm always amazed that cars park on the road half and half.

All houses have drives / garages and its just lazy / easy for most to do this. I do honestly feel like bending the mirrors in some times or even trying to fit through the gap with the pram.....but I don't

I'm also amazed when one car parks on one side of the road then another opposite?? making a tiny gap. Some I would really struggle to get our van through never mind the car.

I really do think people just don't think when parking at all. They just get home and switch off.

It does annoy me whe they have perfectly good usable drive most have spent a fortune having flagged, block paved for the CAR !!!

I'm with John, I don't think cars should park like this at all.

I will see tonight when I take the little one for her regular walk round the block (via the Merc garage) :)

i seem to remember reading somewhere that its illegal to park halfway on a pavement; ie Left wheels on but right wheels on the road...

BUT it is legal to park completely on the pavement (ie off the road if there is space).

no idea if its true or not though!!!

i seem to remember reading somewhere that its illegal to park halfway on a pavement; ie Left wheels on but right wheels on the road...

BUT it is legal to park completely on the pavement (ie off the road if there is space).

It's not.

Definitely NOT, but I am only talking about English law.;)

We should also remember obstructing a footpath does not just apply to motor vehicles. Traders that dump skips, sand, or even shops that put out a stall displaying their wares are all committing an offence, even an overgrown hedgerow MIGHT be decreed as obstructing the footpath.

The footpath, foot way is for pedestrians.

Technically a parent that leaves a pram outside a shop would be committing an offence but that is being a bit extreme.

If we think we are dodging the motor taxation regulations by parking on the footpath then I would think again. :devil:

Regards
John

I was in a road in Surrey today where all the houses were built in the Victorian age, before cars, and none had a garage nor space in the tiny front garden for a car to park. All along the street on both sides cars were parked half on and half off the pavements. If they did not do so, half the houses would not be able to have a car.

i drive a merc and so i park where i want (thats why my car has them orange flashy things on the sides)

seriously though as someone who is in a chair 24/7 i get really f***** off when ignorant morons park on the pavement as i have to then go down the kerb and up then other side and that has at times been dangerous

****s

I was in a road in Surrey today where all the houses were built in the Victorian age, before cars, and none had a garage nor space in the tiny front garden for a car to park. All along the street on both sides cars were parked half on and half off the pavements. If they did not do so, half the houses would not be able to have a car.
I still believe they do not have the right to force folks with prams, or me with my wide girth:eek: :eek: to use the road.

As has been said before by other members..... We all have choices on where to live and perhaps we should think about this before moving to that type of location. How many roads do we see where car owners park directly opposite each other and then they complain when emergency vehicles cannot get by?

John

on a slightly off note

i went to the place i grew up from 1980-1993 and there was a bay where you would get 3 cars front to end easily and that was how it was for many many years and the main car park would have a max of about 5 cars in

went there last night to see my mum and in that bay the cars were parked nose first with back end sticking out so barly room to get past and there was 9 in the bay

the car park bit had 20 odd cars and some knob had parked on the corner where you go from the front houses at a 90 degree turn to the main car park so it took me 2 manouvers to get past that car but the most annoying this was no one had parked behind him and so if he would have parked 10ft backwards there would be no problem

my point, well too many cars, people parking like morons and yet if his car got hit then he would be the first to complain

im sure there was a law stating you could not park within "X" feet of a corner

its ignorance mainly

i have a driveway for 2 cars but when people (the ex and a couple of mates) would use the GFP 3 they would bring it back and park it at the end of the drive way off to one side with 2 wheels on the kerb, almost every time

when i asked why not park it with 4 wheels on the road no one had a reason

weird

i never park like that

infact today i parked to wait for somone in the shop and kept a constant look in my mirror for a pram/buggy and had already planned to move the car foward and off the pavement if needed (i wa sparked like that as it was a main road and did not want to get hit by another car and was there for 5 mins)

glojo,
words like "fanticising about old queens" can be miscontrued and you almost made me spill my coffee. Better luck next time.
Les

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom