Is it me, or is this seller a Very Silly Man?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I looked at registering my LHD E320Cdi in France - as long as you have an address there it's pretty straightforward. You need a CT (French MOT) the EU Cert of Conformity showing that the car is EU spec, and you pay an one off fee dependant on age and emissions. A bit of online form filling or you can get a garage to do it via their system.

I reckoned on about £350 all in to do the registration. My E320 is probably worth getting on for double in France so I will do it at some point. I can't see Brexit being an issue if the car was originally EU supplied - mine was bought new in Spain.

Looks like a good move, Paul - I may go down the garage/agent route. The CoC is the key as, without that, you're looking at getting a certificate from the FFVE or, even worse, a visit to DREAL.

The registration fee is halved when the vehicle is 10 years old. iirc, my CL cost over €900, but it was 11 years old, so half-price. Worth knowing.

My favourite part is in the sub heading:

"Restoration Project With Potential"

- indeed - towards substantial financial & maybe physical loss/es .... :rolleyes:

Separately though, I find it very odd, whilst the potential for future growth in value of these being the worst kept "secret",
it now continually being cited in multiple publications; there are some very nice looking ones at what appear to be competitive prices.

I have my eye on an early one with just over 10k miles from new, whilst my late father had a lovely 450 in the 107 series, the 129 increasingly appeals more to me with all its 90's iconic history appeal.

If it sells for the asking price, it will indeed be an 'ideal investment car' - for Very Silly Man.

I wonder if he's aware of this one:Mercedes SL500 R129 2 Door Convertible Coupe Rare LHD | eBay which is far better then his shed as it stands, and I suspect won't make anywhere near the shed's asking price?

Separately though, I find it very odd, whilst the potential for future growth in value of these being the worst kept "secret", it now continually being cited in multiple publications; there are some very nice looking ones at what appear to be competitive prices.

As so often, there's a considerable difference between what the dreamers/tossers/wide boys/agreed insurance valuers think the cars are worth, and what sensible people are actually prepared to pay for them. It's not just the R129; take a look at R230 prices too.

I thought the same - I don't think I've ever seen one that colour on a 129 and it looks more like a caravan awning.

It's pretty rare, the few I've seen have been on the other side of the Atlantic. I'm not sure if it was ever offered here.

I have taken an LHD car from the UK to Italy.

It's perfectly doable, but the paperwork costs in Italy to have the car registered there were quite high, so not something you'd normally want to do unless it was a special car etc.
Putting Greek plates on a non Greek registered car will drive you insane.

I have just offered £9.00p I know its over the real value so I might get a bite. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom