Is it not the done thing to pimp an R170?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jetl3on

Car
SLK230
Despite days of searching can't find any R170 UK cars that have been styled, trawled through many albums on here, but few non standard cars.

Is it not the done thing in the UK to pimp your 170? Is it the hairdresser image? Seems odd as its a great shape, perfect for styling, or is it because they are throwaway cars now, the later models are more affordable?

Not sure the age of these images, but none were taken in the last 5 years, some better than others, nice to see something different.

Inden4_zpspfbiagow.jpg

Inden8_zpsdgkzk9b0.jpg

Design%204_zps0zwkjg3a.jpg

Inden3_zpscrvjmwmi.jpg
[/URL]

Inden2_zps7il1tikg.jpg

IMAG0042_zpsg5jnomcr.jpg

It's not just the R170. Fitting older/cheaper Mercs with aftermarket wheels/exhausts/bodykits/etc. is much more commonplace in Germany than it is here.

In the UK mods are rarer overall and tend (big generalisation, obviously!) to be done to more expensive Mercs, mostly using bits from mainstream companies like AMG or Brabus.

It's not just the R170. Fitting older/cheaper Mercs with aftermarket wheels/exhausts/bodykits/etc. is much more commonplace in Germany than it is here.

In the UK mods are rarer overall and tend (big generalisation, obviously!) to be done to more expensive Mercs, mostly using bits from mainstream companies like AMG or Brabus.

Such a shame, must be a british thing, new cars you would think does not need modifying, whereas unless we are talking about classics, the old cheaper cars are perfect candidates to experiment with.

All I see these days are modified R170s on the roads. Some good ones over at slkworld.

It just devalues the car, and most people other than the owner and his rose tinted specs think it looks ****.

It's the same old crap;
Tint the windows illegally - so they can't see out.
Smoke the lights illegally - so nobody can see the car at night.
"Stance" the wheels - with negative camber so you've actually got the contact area of a bicycle.
Lower it - so it won't go over speed bumps anymore, but they're convinced they can corner 20% faster than before.
Daft alloys - that cost more than the car, and probably rub at full lock. Unless you use -
Wheel spacers - so that all the bushes are put under more stress, wear faster and put the wheel geometry out.
Painting the logos black - because chrome is so 'conformist' .
Barry boys bodykit - Why didn't Mercedes think of that bit of body styling genius?
Mudflaps - 'cos racecar.
Blue sidelights - so other motorists see the flash of blue in their mirrors and start planning to pull over before they realise it's just some pillock in a Corsa.
And generally just bolt as much tat onto it when they get bored and have money burning a hole in their pockets, each time thinking they're making it look better and better until it's almost completely worthless.

(I know you've not gone to these extremes, and you're mainly about the alloys, but hay hoo).

We tend to leave it to companies like AMG, Brabus, etc who can be subjective, take time and consideration, prototype and refine to make something that genuinely looks good, yet more outrageous than the standard model. Cheap sub 1k cars are often modified in all the ways I mentioned above, by young drivers who it's their first car and they're eager to tinker with it and try to make it look cooler because it's all they can afford at that age.

It's up to you what you do with your car, and if you like it then fine, but you asked for opinions on modifying in the UK and that's mine. :)

filepicker%2FRJNkWEckQJSXk4w8T5AD_overkill_tuned_vip_car_off_camber.jpg

^ Look how unique I am! Unlike all the others on the road. (I wonder why?)

TLDR; I'm not a fan. :p

Actually that might be the problem, location. Where are you? I've seen quite a few R170s modified, there was an old boy on here a while ago with one that was half blue, half yellow. :D It looked fantastic.

It just devalues the car, and most people other than the owner and his rose tinted specs think it looks ****.

It's up to you what you do with your car, and if you like it then fine, but you asked for opinions on modifying in the UK and that's mine. :)

TLDR; I'm not a fan. :p

I did indeed ask, and fair enough. Your wrong of course.

Thats quite an antiquated, (dare I say it), typically british purists view I-Conica, that modifying is the domain of companies who have millions at their disposal to spend on R&D, and despite their wealth of knowledge and funds, regularly churn out poor quality, unreliable crap cars.

The R170 for example is already as cheap as it gets, from as little as £1000, they can't really get any cheaper, so why not have some fun, test the limits of your imagination.

This debate has been fought so many times on so many levels by so many people, and it will continue to rage on :D

Actually that might be the problem, location. Where are you? I've seen quite a few R170s modified, there was an old boy on here a while ago with one that was half blue, half yellow. :D It looked fantastic.

Im in anti-car London, where else :D

In all honesty I wouldn't go to those extremes, all I want is a 1" drop and a classy set of dished wheels. If I'm lucky maybe it will catch on :thumb:

Of course this argument has happened to death on every car forum there is. There's always two camps of people, those who think modified cars look good and are an improvement over the original, and those that chuckle at them as they drive past. :p

Most of my post was opinion, but the devaluation point is almost certainly a fact. I genuinely can't imagine there's ever been a style-modified car sell for more than a pristine example of the same car.

Of course this argument has happened to death on every car forum there is. There's always two camps of people, those who think modified cars look good and are an improvement over the original, and those that chuckle at them as they drive past. :p

Most of my post was opinion, but the devaluation point is almost certainly a fact. I genuinely can't imagine there's ever been a style-modified car sell for more than a pristine example of the same car.

Around 8 years ago I had a 1.6 Honda Civic coupe, I put some rude boy alloys, a massive exhaust, induction kit, silly blue headlights, window tints, a completely ridiculous sound system including a 15" sub, type r bumpers, and a full type r interior in it, sold it within 2 days for over £1000 more than it was "worth" as a standard car according to the auto trader guide... Then I sold all the standard bits I had taken off the car for something around £300!

I also pimped an r170 slk with some 18" wheels and projector headlights, sold it for more than what auto trader valued it at again... I'll see if I can find some pics of it.

Can't see anything wrong with modding your car, different if it's newer and holding a value, older cars can be made quite stunning looking as long as your mods aren't too extreme, it's not as though they're holy relics....they're just Mercs fer Chrissakes...most of them offering great performance but tedious 5 door saloon looks.....they're not Rollers / Bugattis / or Lambos.

And contrary to opinion Mercedes don't always get it right design wise, sometimes an individual can come up with a look that enhances the car's design aesthetic.

What pisses me off more is the plethora of CF and brushed satin aluminium that newer models are swamped in, if I did a little Photoishopping of almost any modern manufacturers model, such as SangYong/ Kia / Renault et al.....and 'shopped a Merc star onto the steering wheel, you'd be hard pressed to tell if it was a Merc or not. unlike older models which IMO seemed to be better built and had more of a luxury appeal to them, at one stage owning a Merc was regarded as de riguer for when you'd 'arrived'......now the interiors all look the same as any other modern car.

It's your car, do what thou will with it and be happy if it gives you a tingle!

Last edited:
Around 8 years ago I had a 1.6 Honda Civic coupe, sold it within 2 days for over £1000 more than it was "worth"

It was worth more than a grand? :p

Around 8 years ago I had a 1.6 Honda Civic coupe, I put some rude boy alloys, a massive exhaust, induction kit, silly blue headlights, window tints, a completely ridiculous sound system including a 15" sub, type r bumpers, and a full type r interior in it, sold it within 2 days for over £1000 more than it was "worth" as a standard car according to the auto trader guide... Then I sold all the standard bits I had taken off the car for something around £300!

Ah right, so a ripspeed cone air filter really does add value. Cheers. :thumb:

Last edited:
I'm with you, I-Conica. When it comes to cheap cars, though, there seem to be a lot more chavs and Barries around than people with taste...

I had an xr3i once (first car) put in rs turbo seats, external bodykit, wheels, basically made into a turbo look a like. Cringiest thing I done to it was throw clear lights on the back, and clear focus side indicators. Yikes

Finally got a real car in that of an Impreza sti which had aftermarket wheels on, spent a fortune getting the gold PFF7's or whatever they were called, looks so much better standard

Depends on the car really, since then I think cars always look nicer how they came as the factory intended

I'm with you, I-Conica. When it comes to cheap cars, though, there seem to be a lot more chavs and Barries around than people with taste...

It's because that's what they can afford at that (time/age) and they try to make it look smarter than it is. There's nothing wrong with that, but that's what it is. I've been there and done that. Now laugh at my attempts to polish a turd. :cool:

Those with expensive cars who modify the style clearly have money to burn, and I wish I was in their shoes. I'd probably spend that money on fuel and go somewhere nice instead.

Last edited:
Wow...aren't you just chock full of garrulous blateration....please excuse me whilst I tug my forelock and doff my cap old boy.....and ask the perrenial question.."who died and went to heaven and nominated you as the prima determinatus and arbiter of 'taste'.." ?

Someone with better taste than you, clearly. :p

You're clearly the guy who's only just slipped on his proper car slippers, and you're asking how you stick a star to the bonnet (it's got one in the grille, please don't add another).

You've the vocabulary of someone with better taste than you, maybe you should give it back before you ruin your CLS?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom