is it only me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bud

Car
Black E240 auto saloon,
must be an earth fault ? as when I brake my offside front side light comes on. E200 1997 face lift auto. Can anyone help ???

Last edited:
Check the bulbs, one could be a single fillament instead of double. It could be an earth fault though.

Rear side light?

If it is the 210 has a tenedncy to melt the bulb holders.

Same applies, check the rear bulbs and holders. Power is leaking back to the sidelamp circuit via the brake lamp bulb.

Same applies, check the rear bulbs and holders. Power is leaking back to the sidelamp circuit via the brake lamp bulb.

Doesn't this typically mean a grounding failure? Like when the brake lamp should come on but is lacking good ground, some other bulb on the same "local" ground wire starts to sink the current intended for the brake lamp. Specifically if the other bulb is smaller by wattage, that only lights up (although not at exactly full power).

In days of conventional wiring it would definitely be an earthing problem. Is there any corrossion around the rear light fittings?

Me thinks this is an electrical issue :devil: :eek: ;)

John

In days of conventional wiring it would definitely be an earthing problem. Is there any corrossion around the rear light fittings?

Me thinks this is an electrical issue :devil: :eek: ;)

John

But this was a 1997 car, almost build with "conventional wiring". :)

By the way, how come this is a face lift car?

Anyway, it does have more electronics than a basic W124.

I don't think he means face lift W210, I think the o-p means round headlamps so not a W124.
The rear light clusters were originally poorly made so can lose connections.
I doubt it's the common earth otherwise the lights would flash with the indicators.

Correct on the round headlights, you could be right about the rear light cluster as I had a problem with the rear stop / tail light bulb not seating correctly when in its plastic holder. Still have realy as it is not too secure and wobbles when touched.

If it has white bulb holders they are the old type, the new ones being pink. You will require a new light unit as the old ones overheat and warp.

I don't think he means face lift W210, I think the o-p means round headlamps so not a W124.
The rear light clusters were originally poorly made so can lose connections.
I doubt it's the common earth otherwise the lights would flash with the indicators.

OK, this was also about the front side light coming up when braking, that one cannot have a common ground (wire) with the rear brake lamp.

The failure at the lamp unit must be significant if the voltage for the brake lamp starts driving the side lamp. Still, shouldn't each bulb be driven with its own wire for lamp defective indication purposes)? The front side light should not be on the same wire with the rear parking lamp. :confused: Or is it driven from the same point at some SAM, before the bulb current circuitry?

Was this problem solved? Check all the globes. I once had a short inside a double filament globe (W460) which played havoc with the electronics, misleading symptoms. E.g. park lights come on when braking, rev counter going silly, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom