Is it possible to fit a strut with the wrong bushing orientation?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jd24689

Car
W203 C220d coupe
Hi all,

I recently had to replace a broken front coil spring. I removed and re-fitted the strut assembly myself but had a shop change the spring over.

Afterwards I had the tracking done and they noticed that the camber was out on that side and suggested that the strut bushing is worn or the strut may have been fitted 180 degrees out.

When I went to re-fit the strut, I did wonder about its orientation, but looking at how it was assembled, I couldn't understand how this could be done wrong since the spring seats in the gooves in the bottom and top cap which is fixed to the bushing. So I thought that as long as the spring was seated correctly, the orientation must be right since the bottom cup is fixed. And it is only possible for the strut to bolt to the hub one way round, so everything stays aligned.

Am I wrong about this and is it possible I fitted it incorrectly? I remember it didn't really feel great when I seated the bushing. Also, the guide stated to note the orientation of the upper washer plate for refitting. Can someone explain why this is necessary?

Thanks in advance!

Watch this video…

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Pay attention towards the end where he shows you the upper mounting and the rubber mouldings. One is fat one is thin. It needs to line up correctly with the bump on the lower spring seat. Only then will it fit back onto the car correctly

I didn't realise it seated like that.

So the rubber moulding with the fat and thin bit is free to rotate? Will I need to disconnect everything to drop it down and turn this or do you think it should be possible by just jacking it up and dropping it enough to spin it from the top somehow?

It turns with the steering. You should be able to turn it by hand. Bit of effort, but doable

So would I need to unbolt it from the hub to do this?

You might be able to pull it down enough to get your hand in, but it has a big rubber shroud up there which might impede that. I’ve never tried myself, but worth a go

From what I remember when I changed it, I don't think I'll fit me hand around it.

I was thinking I could apply torque from the top (like in 3:47 of the video you linked) clockwise which I'm guessing should spin the bushing without undoing the retaining nut?

But then I guess I'll also have the problem of not knowing where the bushing lines up without being able to see inside. Or would it be easy to feel this based on how it fits?

I’d take the strut off again. Its only three bolts at the bottom. It’ll give you a better chance to check what’s going on and make sure no damage has occurred to the rubber

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom