Is it possible to judge condition of auto transmission with stars data?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MOZ

Car
W163 ML270 Inspiration, Leon Cupra TDI
Hi Guy's,
Still looking into the purchase of ML270. I have found one that on the face of it looks pretty good (I believe) the paper work, history and receipts look good. Some of the major parts that are common problems have been addressed (inlet manifold, rear springs, transmission conductor plate etc.)

I have found one injector leaking (as I mentioned in a previous post). the only worry i now have, having gone through all of the paper work is that the inlet manifold , the conductor plate and transmission service have all been done quite recently (within the past 3 months). On the one hand this is great as its recent so less of a wory of a repeat failure,Obviously my concern now is , have these been done and the owner been told get rid before the transmission dies? etc.

Clearly the owner seems to have genuine reasons to sell the car, and has spent a lot on big bills recently (aprox £2k) and he may well be just fed up of the expense its caused him, and decided its time to move on, but I would be happier if the work had been done say 6 months or more ago.

is there any way that you tell from any Stars readouts whether the transmission is showing signs of being on its way out?

i have read posts about oil change and if the old oil smells burnt then it may be time to change the transmission, but I know it has had the gearbox service recently, so any check on that now will be fresh (I doubt whether I can find out what the old oil was like at the time of the service).

I am intending to see if I can get a Merc INDY to do a pre purchase check over the car for me before I buy it, but wondered whether they is anything that they may be able to check (stars or manually) that may indicate a need for a transmission box change. I remember reading somewhere that there was potentially a reading that may indicate excessive wear (some readings being above a certain value?) but I can't find that post, to know if its true and what readings to look for. Hopefully the Indy i choose may have some ideas but I thought i would throw it out to the masses of Merc owners to see what experiences you have..
let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.
Moz

If it shows any stored codes for rpm sensor in the ETC (electronic transmission control) then the plate will be on it's way out. However, there is no real early warning sign I am aware of....one day the fault will appear and from that point it will need replacing at some point in the near future.

The more knowledgeable here will be able to tell you about potential readings, I am not qualified to answer that I'm afraid but I'm sure someone will be along soon

You can check the adaption data for any values that are way out. If they are it's worn.

Bob thanks, but th eplate yopu mention has already been replaced recently, so hopefully should be OK.

BlackC55 Thanks for that info, that sounds like what I had seen before. Can the adaptation data just be viewed as is (stationary) for a quick look to see if it is way off, or does that need to be done with the diagnostic plugged in and driving?

Am I correct in thinking , if this is reset , it relearns the driving style and self adjusts after a reset?

Thanks again.
Moz

It can be check while stationary.

Yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom