Is it possible to make a non internet TV accept a wi-fi signal?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DSM10000

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E32O CDi Sport, MX5 1.8 Sport, Range Rover 5.0 SC, BMW X1
I have carried out a quick search and the results seem to come up with a lot of "solutions" most of which seem to me to sit firmly in the "Geek" category i.e. I do not understand them!:rolleyes:

What I would like to do is be able to stream programs from a laptop or other device wirelessly to our TV. The TV is an LG with HDMI and many other inputs including USB but no native wireless capability.

We have Netflix on a couple of devices and it would be great to be able to send these to the TV for viewing especially during Caroline's convalescence over the next couple of months.

We have a wireless router (from Orange) and the blu-ray player has wireless capability but it never seemed to work reliably when sending images or video from the laptop and I have also lost the set up disc, although I could get one it did seem very hit and miss and often refused to recognise the wireless server so if anyone knows of a simpler solution I would be very grateful.

Regards

David

Spike

Thaank you. The first manufacturer of the first product stated that they wished to licence it rather than sell it and the Roku stick needs MHL enabled USB, no idea if I have that, the TV is about 4 years old.

Had a quick search but could not find any for sale, one page said it was discontinued

Interesting concepts and applications of technology!

Sounds like a job for one of these:

Apple (United Kingdom) - Apple TV - HD iTunes content, Netflix, & more on your TV.

I bought one a while back, it's easy enough to set up. Plug into TV using HDMI cable (required but not supplied, IIRC), set TV to HDMI channel and set up connection to WiFi router (name and password, same as setting up a laptop).

With this done you can get YouTube, Netflix and various other gubbins direct from t'internet. To stream stuff from a laptop, unfortunately you have to import all the content into iTunes (I'm not a fan), but then it's a doddle to set up the share between the Apple TV and the laptop so long as they're both connected wirelessly to the router. It seems pretty stable as well, and I'm only using a 802.11g (54 Meg) router, probably even better if you have an 802.11n one.

Cheers,

Gaz

The Apple TV device looks slick although it seems to be slanted to American viewing with a lot of the built in programming, also I do not really want to have to import other content to iTunes if I can help it but something to think about, thanks chaps.:thumb:

many bluray players have internet capabilities without adding to your present complexity.

many bluray players have internet capabilities without adding to your present complexity.

My blu-ray does have this as in my OP but it never seemed to work well.

My blu-ray does have this as in my OP but it never seemed to work well.

neither does any internet capable TV i've ever used. I have an iPad - think of it as an internet capable portable TV.

There are lots of (better) alternatives to Apple TV if you're not a fanboy.

Best alternatives to Apple TV - PC Advisor

I have never owned an Apple product and apart from some good external design I can see no redeeming features of them over other products, my Android 'phone and tablet do everything Apple can do and more for a lower price and with me having far more control.:)

I have same problem...have a LG Blu-ray with PVR and wifi but can only get BBCi player and youtube....nothing else. Its rubbish.

The market is not very clear about what is offered on internet enabled TVs, PVRs or Blu-rays. I would want to look into this very carefully before buying another piece of equipment as certainly the LG has not lived up to expectations in respect of internet capabilities (and yes, I have latest firmwear on it).

I would love to have all the other catch-up tv channels as well as being able to access Lovefilm etc.

If you have an old laptop and a vga connector on the tv, you can use these.
If you have an iPhone/iPad/IPod you can control the laptop with Jumi mouse.

Set the laptop so that it does not power down when the lid is closed.

A little bit messy, and you need to be able to physically access the laptop for security updates, but it works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom