Is it really worth buying Premium brand tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Its up to you guys as to what tyres you use..Me i love top brand tyres and used Avon for years . But the last set i had lasted me 3000 miles if that in 4 years . Side wall was like new because i use silicon dressing on the tyres . But the cracks and splits were in the radius of the tread. The tyre guy looked at me and said why are you swapping these for Landsail . And i showed him why .So if i only get 3000 miles out of these rubbers i can purchase another set and still be in pocket.
That’s fine if all you’re interested in miles covered per pound. Those of us who opt for premium tyres generally do so for the quality of their performance under varying conditions and possible emergency situations. In over 50 years of driving I’ve never needed my seat belts or, more recently, air bags, but I’d never consider driving without them. The same goes for the little bit of rubber that keeps my car connected to the road; I want the best available.

That’s fine if all you’re interested in miles covered per pound. Those of us who opt for premium tyres generally do so for the quality of their performance under varying conditions and possible emergency situations. In over 50 years of driving I’ve never needed my seat belts or, more recently, air bags, but I’d never consider driving without them. The same goes for the little bit of rubber that keeps my car connected to the road; I want the best available.
Yep. Same as insurance policies. You’ll not know how good it is until you need it.

The blokes 76 years old , he probably does 25 mph to his local shop for a paper . He's no Michael Schumacher. 😄😄😄😄

best ive ever bought is NEXON good in the wet , hard wearing and low feedback from the road ..

best ive ever bought is NEXON good in the wet , hard wearing and low feedback from the road ..
Never heard of them. ?

I have pretty much always driven cars on a budget so bought cheap tyres that I have never had issue with.
Recently I was lucky enough to buy my current CL500 which had a new set of goodyears on. I had a car pull out right across my path only a couple of weeks after buying it...it was dry, full anchors fully expecting that time standing still moment before the inevitable crunch...to my complete amazement it gripped, I mean really gripped. I am now thinking the tyres saved the day.

I have pretty much always driven cars on a budget so bought cheap tyres that I have never had issue with.
Recently I was lucky enough to buy my current CL500 which has a new set of goodyears on. I had a car pull out right across my path only a couple of weeks after buying it...it was dry, full anchors fully expecting that time standing still moment before the inevitable crunch...to my complete amazement it gripped, I mean really gripped. I am now thinking the tyres saved the day

Always used Michelin in the last 20 years with very few exceptions (goodyear, hankook)
I've found the Michelin with my driving last longer and have better feeling up to the very end of the tyre life.

They cost more to buy but they are actually cheaper to run.
I couldn't agree more.

I couldn't agree more.
I think that a lot of the time, budget has more to do with tyre choice than most will admit.

Then you have the penny pinchers, that buy the cheapest because they are the cheapest and gleefullly count what they have saved.

Even when I was younger, and couldn’t splash cash, I always purchased good quality recognised brands of tyres. My family’s safety & welfare has always been top of my list of priorities.

Comfort and quietness are my priorities so something like Dunlop Blue response fits the bill as a premium tyre. I would never consider horridly named Chinese tyres. If I had to go cheaper, Korean Nexen eco blues review competitively against premium tyres and in my odd size they are half the price. I can't understand why anyone would want something cheaper than a Nexen when they are so reasonably priced.

I avoided a huge accident at 50 mph by swerving on Chinese budget tyres in my then 17 year old other car .

£138 for 4 !

Some retard did a U turn right in front of me from a layby .

A6GA5CB.png

zPMewlF.png

jbqq4bO.png

I have no idea why this is even a question on a Mercedes forum. 25 years ago I was penalised by a Mercedes garage buyer because the front tyres on my 500SL were not MB approved (i.e. not one of the original fitment options). In those pre-Internet times my tyre garage claimed that the correct tyres were unobtainable so fitted a good quality (as opposed to budget) option

lesson learned, I have only have used the original fitment tyre ever since with the proviso that if the original is no longer available, I’ll run the modern equivalent from that range. The only things between you and the road are 4 small contact patches of tyre, looking after 1-2 tons of vehicle and people on board. That‘s the one place not to skimp

I do agree , cheap tyres tend to crack with little use well before the likes of Michelin .

So in a way if doing uber high mileage maybe look at the cheaper option .

Few miles , maybe the expensive so they resist cracking more .

Hit post before writing the rest😔.
First, make remoulds illegal!
Secondly, tyre technology is constantly changing, and next years tyres will have different characteristics.
look at ev’s. Soon they will have so much torque that today’s tyre may not handle.
As for mo tyres, conti sports are recommended for my car, but I have PS4 on as they are better at keeping the back end in check. In fact it was reading about them that finally swayed me into buying my car.
As for part worn, it’s a very grey area, and yes I’ve had a couple over the years, but bought new as soon as I could. The front tyres on my car have 6mm on but because the car has sat for over a year, I bet there will be flat spots on them despite them still being pumped up. I intend to cut them with an angle grinder as I don’t want them being sold on.
Performance cars, performance tyres. Standard cars, get the best you can afford.
And how many of you actually get winter tyres?

Is it worth buying a 65" OLED TV? :D

The answer to the question regarding tyres is very different if you're a fleet manager or a car enthusiast.

A fleet manager will have to work-out the right balance between cost, longevity, and safety.

For a car enthusiast, that Continental or Michelin or Pirelli logo on the sidewall is part of the good-feel factor, and good-feel is definitely worth spending money on.

I am not mocking those who choose tyres by brand, in fact my friend 'Dave' bought (twice) MB-branded NGK plugs, with the MB three-point star stamped on them, knowing very well that this star will only be seen by the mechanic fitting them, and then again four years later by the mechanic removing them.... 😊

Instead, I am just pointing to a certain bias, where people (needlessly) justify their choice of tyres by logical arguments only, ignoring the feel-good factor that you get when your car has the boots that you want it to have.

As for the OLED TV... you'll get a different answer from a hotel chain procurement manager and from the forum members who posted on Abs' OLED TV thread... I am firmly in latter camp :thumb:

Only worth buying a 65” if you’re a couch potato! I have a 55 LG pled, and all it does is catch dust as we’re always working, so all that money for an ornament wasn’t really worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom