Is it really worth buying Premium brand tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
in fact my friend 'Dave' bought (twice) MB-branded NGK plugs, with the MB three-point star stamped on them, knowing very well that this star will only be seen by the mechanic fitting them, and then again four years later by the mechanic removing them...

Totally agree with the principle and I have never bought dealer supplied plugs in my life, however there may be an exception with some MB engines. Specifically the M276 which requires indexed plugs i.e. with the plug gap consistently pointing in the same direction. Genuine MB plugs will index to the same position when correctly torqued and that cannot be guaranteed with other plugs.

Spark Plug Indexing on ML 350 M276 engine

From tyres to spark plugs mmm I'm amazed ... :)

I’ve fronted an extremely busy Indy for a few years, and in that time I’ve ordered/sold thousands of tyres. I don’t profess to be a tyre Guru, but the good friend that I work for is, and he’s never changed his firm belief in the 30 plus years he’s been in the business away from the fact that Michelin manufacture the best tyres you can buy.
I’ve always heeded his recommendations, and that’s why I've fitted nothing else.

Totally agree with the principle and I have never bought dealer supplied plugs in my life, however there may be an exception with some MB engines. Specifically the M276 which requires indexed plugs i.e. with the plug gap consistently pointing in the same direction. Genuine MB plugs will index to the same position when correctly torqued and that cannot be guaranteed with other plugs.

Spark Plug Indexing on ML 350 M276 engine
Ah, so that's why the service where the six plugs need changing on my M276 engine is so expensive. Not that I really notice with my service plan!

Only worth buying a 65” if you’re a couch potato! I have a 55 LG pled, and all it does is catch dust as we’re always working, so all that money for an ornament wasn’t really worth it.
Work to live ,don't live to work.

Working to leave what little I can for the family before this damn lung disease stops me😞
All the best mate... hope you’ll be ok

Borderline stage 4, and I won’t give up without an all out fight😀
All the best... if you smoke then quitting is beneficial..

each to their own but ive had pirelli , continental ( awful ) goodyear , michellin nothing lasted longer than Nexen ...

F
All the best... if you smoke then quitting is beneficial..
First question I asked when first diagnosed. A lot of it is construction dust and I’ve got everyone on my case nagging at me to stop smoking.
As for tyres, I personally think that it depends on the car you have, what you are going to use it for, and your driving style. A few of the van drivers on site have all terrain tyres on, as a lot of the mot used on site car parks is the cheap contaminated stuff full of all sorts.
If you’re using a car to do the school run, shopping and pottering about, do you need premium? Lots to think about.

because the car has sat for over a year, I bet there will be flat spots on them despite them still being pumped up.
Do modern low profile, high performance premium tyres have flat spot nowadays ? thought that went out with crossply's.

I don’t know. Because it’s been stood, I wouldn’t want to take that chance.

That is true. But what do you do if a car comes out of nowhere and smashes into you? I’m all for the best that you can get, but not everyone is in that position. The past year has decimated a lot of people’s finances and they have tough choices to make. I’ve had to save up to buy all the parts including a new set of tyres, and it hasn’t been easy.

The best tyres possible. Who knows when you’ll need to take avoiding action regardless of speed and more importantly who’s on board. 👍

I think that is a bit extreme and is an event that may never be a necessitated. I inherited Nexen's on mine, they were factory fit, and they quite honestly do all I want them to do bearing in mind that I am not by any means a boy racer. I personally cannot see any reason to spend over the top on a premium tyre, waste of money in my view. :)

My last MB, a W204 was shod with Pirelli P Zero's and they weren't any better in any way that I could see. The most obvious downside was that they were bluddy noisy whereas the Nexen's are quite the opposite. Would I buy Nexen's when the time comes to replace the existing tyres, I certainly would, I have been very impressed by them for my needs:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom